Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Legoulash]
    #3875037 - 03/05/05 09:42 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

>>Has your dad talked to his doctor about hoodia, Id be curious what a doctor would think, tho ime doctors dont like herbal or natural things at all..
I had a doctor tell me I had a greater chance at getting cancer because I drink yerba mate, while she was drinking a cup of coffee.. :s

Don't worry Pfizer is hard at work on commercializing hoodia for the pharmaceutical industry. Doctors will be more aware of it soon enough.

Coffee's also been shown to reduce the risk of colon and pancreatic cancer. Some of it has been attributed to the stimulant properties of caffeine in that caffeine increases movement/exercise, and thus removal of caffeine and the increases in movement exercise has been maintained cancer risk is still reduced. But for pancreatic cancer the link is less clear and may be due to some compounds in coffee other than caffeine.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIntelligentMind
Indigo Child
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: neuro]
    #3875079 - 03/05/05 09:59 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

anyone have any cultivation info or links on hoodia gorodini? Not sure what soil to use, and how often it should be watered...

OfflineTomatadunothing
Stranger

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: IntelligentMind]
    #3876138 - 03/06/05 03:46 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Ooh do tell. I'm thinking about growing some of it, regardless of weather or not my Dad decides to take it. It definately has some interesting properties to it, and the blurry net pictures I have seen look pretty enough.

OfflineTomatadunothing
Stranger

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Tomatadunothing]
    #3876151 - 03/06/05 03:49 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Interesting info, Neuro. Thanks for the 2 cents. Pfizer those crafty bastards. Now old fat people can get skinny and have hot sex with each other easier thanks to pfizer.

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: IntelligentMind]
    #3876952 - 03/06/05 11:21 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

I found this website (couldn't really find a whole lot of information regarding cultivation):

http://www.b-and-t-world-seeds.com/19687.html

"Hoodia gordonii is said to be the easiest Hoodia to cultivate !

Full sun to light shade.
Hoodias have a reputation for being rather difficult. Apart from H. alstonii all species easily root from cuttings. Light requirements during growing season - medium (only morning or afternoon sun) to high (full sun during whole day). Minimum winter temperatures 15 degree/day, 10 degree/night.

Watering:

Winter - keep completely dry
Spring/autumn - give little water and allow soil to dry out after watering
Summer - normal watering (allow soil to dry out after watering)

Tolerance to cultivation - medium - generally reasonably tolerant.

Although the bushmen say they use ALL species of Hoodia for appetite control, the most often mentioned species is Hoodia gordonii.

Seeds germinate best around: 15-26?C. (60 to 80?F).
Growing medium: 3 parts volcanic tufa, 1 part leaf-mold or peat; 2 parts coarse river sand"

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: theocean06]
    #3877243 - 03/06/05 01:02 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Yeah, well it's not that easy to grow, at least hasn't been for me. They are very sensitive to sun at least while seedlings. I have some over a year old that are still sensitive. I've lost a lot of them to too much light even when they weren't in the sun. They are about like peyote in difficulty but grow a lot faster.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinelindapowah
Stranger
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3932122 - 03/17/05 07:14 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

has any one in this lost weight and if so how much and in what time span did you lose it . i have been looking it up and i am very interested in it .

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: lindapowah]
    #3935111 - 03/18/05 10:29 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

What about grafting it?? Iv got some seeds coming atm.. Can they be grafted on any other suculent?

My guess is no, but seems right wiht cacti.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Legoulash]
    #3935148 - 03/18/05 10:36 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Rah, they can be grafted but it has to be the right host. I can't think of the correct plant but it has to be in the same family. Pedro wouldn't do it.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Offlinenookjohn
Nooker
 User Gallery

Loc: Dancin' in the street
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3940147 - 03/19/05 01:34 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

All diet pills are gimmicks. Just like you can't learn to play baseball by reading a book, you can only lose weight by lowering your daily caloric intake or increasing the number of calories you burn every day. You must make either or both of these changes until you're dead. That's the stark reality of the situation.

Except for the less than 1% with a rare health condition, the lives of overweight people are out of balance. Overfertilize your plants and they will bloat and be prone to disease. People are just another living thing and when we mistreat ourselves we bloat and die prematurely.

Good luck to your father. The more weight he loses the happier and healthier he will be in life.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: nookjohn]
    #3940978 - 03/19/05 05:10 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

Thats why the diet pills say, only effecteve at loosing weight with proper diet and exercise.

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3941005 - 03/19/05 05:14 PM (19 years, 14 days ago)

I wouldn't bother grafting Hoodias myself, they grow very fast for seedlings and if care is taken not to keep their feet wet for too long they aren't that difficult to look after. I'd imagine you would want a nice mature stand on their own roots to be able to harvest enough to use. Even though I have no idea how much plant material you would need to make an extract.

Edited by faslimy (03/19/05 05:15 PM)

Offlinepod3
Stranger
 User Gallery
- [Re: faslimy]
    #4264337 - 06/06/05 03:51 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

-

Edited by pod3 (10/26/06 11:14 AM)

InvisibleStonerguy
I smoke penis
Male

Loc: Lost
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: nookjohn]
    #4264368 - 06/06/05 04:00 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tourist said:
All diet pills are gimmicks. Just like you can't learn to play baseball by reading a book, you can only lose weight by lowering your daily caloric intake or increasing the number of calories you burn every day. You must make either or both of these changes until you're dead. That's the stark reality of the situation.

Except for the less than 1% with a rare health condition, the lives of overweight people are out of balance. Overfertilize your plants and they will bloat and be prone to disease. People are just another living thing and when we mistreat ourselves we bloat and die prematurely.

Good luck to your father. The more weight he loses the happier and healthier he will be in life.

Well that is basicly what it does. IT makes you not want to eat thus lowering all food intake.

Also to the people taking this make sure you take 1 or 2 vitamen pill befor you take it. Something like one a day or something.

--------------------
yawn...
SG

InvisibleTaharka
The Root of the Problem
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Stonerguy]
    #5154471 - 01/08/06 01:46 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

*Oh shit, I just rezzed an ancient post. Sorry guys, I'll be more careful from now on.*

My H. gordonii died the other day. Melted into a puddle of green slime. I think I was over watering it. And it was growing so nicely too...
A while ago I looked into the Hoodia pills thing. It almost sounded too good to be true, and it turned out, it was. The sites selling hoodia all claim the same thing - that only *their* pills contain 100% real "hoodia cores," and that their competitors are lying. Some create elaborate ratings websites, and there are some fake consumer interest websites that say that one brand of hoodia works while all others don't. The only non-biased page (that wasn't a member of some paid affiliate program or another) that I found said that most people had to take more than 3000mg of Hoodia a day, and still felt hungry nonetheless.
Pfizer had signed on to create a synthetic hoodia drug, but they gave up their license a while ago. Apparently, the chemicals were too difficult/expensive to make mass production cost-effective. So it's back to diet and exercise...

Edited by Taharka (01/08/06 01:47 PM)

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Tomatadunothing]
    #5156141 - 01/08/06 08:41 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Um all you got to do is dont eat. The plant helps but um just dont eat or eat healthy and exercise if you wanna loose weight.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
    #5157888 - 01/09/06 11:00 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I have some hoodia seeds if anyone wants to swap for them.

--------------------

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: faslimy]
    #5158032 - 01/09/06 11:45 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah they are rather ill tempered when it comes to water. rot moves in ather fast. I had six now i am down to one large 8 incher. They honestly would rather be watered once a month then every week.

But now i finaly got it. Though i have one left.

Offlinedarkice
Stranger
    #5158696 - 01/09/06 03:10 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

One of my 2 hoodia's.
They do it very well in my room. Water once a month, except in winter. I have them standing dry now for 3 months. If you overwater you will get black rotten spots, but the cacti seem to recover quit well. Hope this one will flower this summer. My other one is even bigger and a bit more green.

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: darkice]
    #5158772 - 01/09/06 03:26 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

the one looks like a penis!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds