Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomatadunothing
Stranger

Hoodia plant info?
    #3858143 - 03/02/05 04:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

My dad was curious about the weight loss properties attributed to the Hoodia plant. Any information on this plant would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Tomatadunothing]
    #3860483 - 03/02/05 11:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

its makes you not want to eat..

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Legoulash]
    #3860505 - 03/02/05 11:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleShamansPalace
Tree Hugger

Loc: www.ShamansPalace.com
    #3860907 - 03/03/05 01:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ive got to say it works good. When we got our extract in a made up a few 400 mg caps. Took one in the morning and wasnt hungry untill late that night. I was amazed at how it took away my appetite . Though at some point we have to eat. Eating is good. :smile:
Another good thing is there arent any side effects like with other weight loss items .No harmful stimulants added such as ephedrine, caffeine or ephedra with pure hoodia .

--------------------
Shaman's Palace
FREE Gift's with EVERY ORDER !!
QUICK shipping !10% Shroomery Member Discount!
www.ShamansPalace.com
Questions - Sales@Shamanspalace.com

OfflineTomatadunothing
Stranger

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: ShamansPalace]
    #3861216 - 03/03/05 03:01 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Good to know people have had good expierence with it. I havn't read anything saying hoodia is unsafe, but I was curious to know if it is habit forming in your experience. Do you feel it is safe to use on a regular basis? There are very few tests on it, to my knowledge, and not much historic use of it, either.

Is it safe to help my dad loose a few unsightly pounds? It would be no more than ten or fifteen pounds.

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3861515 - 03/03/05 08:13 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

its safe for occational use.. Tell him to talk to his doctor, and dont abuse its power.
like SP said we need to eat some time..

OfflineOOKLA
Mr.Slippyfist

#3862214 - 03/03/05 11:57 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

It helps me lose weight. When I chew on the cactus the spines get in my mouth, and stuck in my toungue. Strangely not very much of the cactus is used in this method. Just kidding, I thought it was funny anyway.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: OOKLA]
    #3862665 - 03/03/05 01:53 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I'm growing it right now. It's a dry climate cactus kind of like peyote.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3863145 - 03/03/05 03:04 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Just a heads up....its not a cactus, its a succulent related to milkweed.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3864011 - 03/03/05 05:51 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

^ Hey, I don't give a rat's ass. I know what it is. It's a god damned cactus. Sorry for the bad mood. I already know it's an asceliapad, however you spell it and not cactacae. It's still a cactus in common terminology.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3864435 - 03/03/05 07:03 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I don't think your dad should use it as some weight loss drug, he should learn to deal with his over-eating. I don't mean to sound rude, but that is why most of those diets fail. Once the person is off the diet, they go back to their old habits. Once he is off Hoodia, he will go back to his bad eating habits, since the Hoodia isn't suppressing his appetite anymore. I say, do it on your own, not with a plant.

Stonehenge: You need to chill out...

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflineTomatadunothing
Stranger

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: theocean06]
    #3865939 - 03/04/05 12:42 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Dude. My Dad is NOT an over eater. I eat with him almost every meal, and I'm very underweight(that's another problem for another day). He works out 5 times a week, and has been at it for years. He watches what he eats, but he just can't get rid of his little spare tire. He is one of the most fit men in his 60's I know right now, but he wants to get rid of that damn gut.

He is currently taking testosterone, as his natural levels are lower than most guys his age, and it helps with depression and motivation. We think it might be the testosterone shots that are keeping him from dropping the weight. Every summer, he stops shooting testosterone because his mood evens out when the days get longer, and he loses the weight. Every winter, he gets bummed out with the short days, starts shooting the testosterone, and gains the weight back.

He was talking about using hoodia a few times a week over a 3 week period or so, just to see if it helps.

Theocean06- Don't assume things you don't know. The impression you give me is that you think my dad is a fat slob looking for an easy way out, which simply is not the case.

Offlinetheocean06

#3867838 - 03/04/05 01:02 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

What's with attitude? You said he wanted to loose 15 pounds and was looking into an appetite suppressant. Where did you say he worked out? Where did you mention the testosterone? No where...

I don't read minds here, I of course will assume it's his diet if all you say is "hey, my dad is looking to loose 15 pounds, how's Hoodia?"

Just trying to help you (or your dad) out with the limited information you gave. It might just be his workout program. Maybe what he is doing isn't working, and should look into other programs (go to a site like bodybuilding.com and see if there are any mistakes he is making).

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Offlinefresh313
journeyman
 User Gallery

#3867949 - 03/04/05 01:21 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

how long does it take a hoodia to grow? trimspa must have hoodia farms

OfflineTomatadunothing
Stranger

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: fresh313]
    #3873602 - 03/05/05 04:20 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

You know what they say about assume, right?

The attitude, which is justified in my opinion, comes from your attack on my dad without complete information. "he should learn to deal with his over-eating"

I didn't say he was working out and watching what he eats, but I also didn't say that he was a chronic over eater. You should have just asked if he has tried a balanced diet or if he has any kind of regular exercise regiment.

He is an avid reader, and has read many books, including Atkins for life, a few Arthur Lydiard books, and Gary Null's Get healthy now. He is under the advice of a professional weight lifter. It looks like he is doing everything right to me.

Offlinetheocean06

#3873903 - 03/05/05 05:47 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

You said your dad wanted to loose 15 pounds, and was looking into Hoodia because it's an appetite suppressant. I figured it was his diet because in most cases, the reason someone is unable to loose weight is because they don't have the proper diet. I was not trying to attack your father and I apologize if I offended you. I hope your dad is successful in loosing those extra pounds.

--------------------

OfflineLegoulash
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3873925 - 03/05/05 05:55 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Fat issues realy bring out the hate in people, I havnt seen this much negativity in the Garden.........Ever.

Has your dad talked to his doctor about hoodia, Id be curious what a doctor would think, tho ime doctors dont like herbal or natural things at all..
I had a doctor tell me I had a greater chance at getting cancer because I drink yerba mate, while she was drinking a cup of coffee.. :s

OfflineTomatadunothing
Stranger

#3874250 - 03/05/05 07:07 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

I'm sure he'll ask his doc about it next time he goes in for a check up. I would be happy to post his opinion on hoodia (if he has one) on this sight. It is my opinion that this particular doctor won't just dismiss hoodia as witch craft, though. He strikes me as a fairly open minded individual. He is the only medical doctor that I have personally met that encourages a vegetarian lifestyle, and is a fairly young guy.

I am sorry to have created the most hate filled thread in the garden ever. At least it's not quite as dramatic as some of the OTD threads. Fat does strike a special chord with most folks, and I think it's understandable, considering the stigmas placed apon the obese in today's society.

In a perfect world, caloric intake could be cut below theoretic basil caloric use, and weight loss would always occur.

Does anyone think that the testosterone he is using might affect his ability to lose excess fat?

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Hoodia plant info? [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3874687 - 03/05/05 08:29 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Stonehenge said:
^ Hey, I don't give a rat's ass. I know what it is. It's a god damned cactus. Sorry for the bad mood. I already know it's an asceliapad, however you spell it and not cactacae. It's still a cactus in common terminology.

just trying to spread knowledge and not mislead people...  :shrug: :thebird:

Offlinetheocean06

#3874929 - 03/05/05 09:20 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Rah said:
Fat issues realy bring out the hate in people, I havnt seen this much negativity in the Garden.........Ever.

Are you referring to the little argument me and Tomatadunothing had? I wouldn't call that hate, the guy thought I was attacking his father. It's understandable that he got upset, if I thought someone was attacking my father than I would get upset too. It's just important that he realizes I didn't mean for it to come across that way and then everything will be fine and dandy.

I think there are very very very few doctors out there that would suggest taking Hoodia. I once asked about Creatine, and the just went off on a bunch of b/s (I already knew about it, I just wanted to hear what he had to say). I can understand why though, they don't want to tell you to take something if there is relatively no research or studies behind it. They could get in some hot water if anything was to happen.

As for testosterone, I know it certainly affects muscle growth, but I don't know exactly how it would affect weight/fat loss.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck