Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Stalled casing
    #3857186 - 03/02/05 12:26 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

A few weeks ago I inoculated about a pint of wheat with liquid myc and set it incubating at 29C.  After colonization (about 5 days) I crumbled it up onto a layer of sterilized verm and then cased it with more of said verm.  Back into the incubator at 29C for about another week.  Myc starts to poke through.  Cold shock in very cold refrigerator for ~24h.  Moved to 24C fruiting chamber with perlite humidification.  No misting. 

For a few days the myc continued to poke its way through the casing and form little knots.  Then it stopped.  It's been like 4 days since anything has changed perceptively.  I'm about to stick it back in the incubator for a while unless anyone has any better ideas...

Argh. :mad:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFINITE1
Stranger in aStrange Land
Re: Stalled casing [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #3857212 - 03/02/05 12:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that usually happen with a casing (not sure about other methods)? The growth stops for a couple few days as the Myc. establishes itself a little more and prepares for fruiting?

--------------------
I was there at the last concert in Chicago, Soldier Field actually. It was my first concert experience and the best time I have ever had. Little did I know it would be the last time I would see them play.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Stalled casing [Re: FINITE1]
    #3857221 - 03/02/05 12:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Right, the mycelium will stop growing while the network starts forming primordia.

I'd say keep up the air exchange and give it more time. Personally I don't cold shock casings due to slowed/stalled growth or extended delay in pinning.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineZeroArmy27
I didn't go to work for a month.

Loc: Middle of nowhere
Re: Stalled casing [Re: Holydiver]
    #3857553 - 03/02/05 02:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

exactly diver. cold shocking casings really is kind of pointless IME. it just makes me wait longer.

--------------------
"a monkey would fuck you up if you tried to put it in a autoclave" - Psychoslut

"it's not like the admins and mods are a tight-knit group of hippies that spend their life together in a log cabin tie-dying shirts and stringing beads inbetween bonghits." - Wiccan_Seeker

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stalled casing [Re: ZeroArmy27]
    #3858046 - 03/02/05 03:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I was just worried that my house was too warm to achieve a decent temperature drop. I'd been thinking about scrapping that step already though. Now that I check, there's about a 9 degree drop. So that's not even that bad...

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #3867611 - 03/04/05 12:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Crap, I poked around with a fork today and found that the myc. was only growing through in a few spots -- the stuff I saw on the surface was only from the myc. which was growing on some grains which somehow got mixed up in the casing layer. It doesn't seem to have penetrated the casing AT ALL. So I'm definately putting it back in the incubator now. Argh again.

Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
    #3873631 - 03/05/05 04:28 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

just invest in a TiT and use it for an incubator and a fruiting chamber.

--------------------
"Most people don't know how they're gonna feel from one moment to the next. But a dope fiend has a pretty good idea. All you gotta do is look at the labels on the bottles." ~drugstore cowboy~

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stalled casing [Re: fallingaway24]
    #3877248 - 03/06/05 01:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Well, that would hardly solve the problem at hand would it...? And I already have several incubators, several fruiting chambers, and several containers of various sizes which I could readily convert to either. My strategy is based on exploiting the various temperature differences naturally found in my house so I don't really have a need for such a dual-use system anyway...

Back to that casing, I still don't see any growth into the casing layer. Is it possible that there is a dead layer of cells between the bulk mycelium and the casing? And would I be the first to suggest the term "UNDERlay"? : )

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds