Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineswizzol
journeyman
vicks leaking
    #3857389 - 03/02/05 01:20 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

My buddy set up his martha and is having trouble with his vicks cool mist leaking like crazy. The moisture is leaking out of the ring where the top part sits onto the resivoir. Has anyone had this problem, found a solution???

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineswizzol
journeyman
Re: vicks leaking [Re: swizzol]
    #3857454 - 03/02/05 01:38 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I take it that no one has had this trouble before...

OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
    #3857474 - 03/02/05 01:44 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

turn it off, dry it off and try out some silicone around the leak... i don't use humidifiers so i can't tell ya if u should put it inside or out though... in if you can, GL

Offlineswizzol
journeyman
Re: vicks leaking [Re: SoK]
    #3857493 - 03/02/05 01:52 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

We have pondered that and I told him that silicone would not work

The lip looks like this

|
|__
_ |
| |
| |
| <--- H20
|

Not sure if this clairifies the situation, but the water is being dispersed onto the sides of the humidifier and leaking out through the lip that is sits on..

The lid needs to be removed for refilling and cleaning. Silicone would not work.

Edited by swizzol (03/02/05 01:55 PM)

OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
    #3857580 - 03/02/05 02:10 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

sorry but i think i am a but confused... is the water leaking out from around the lid that covers the resevoir(sp)where you put the water in? if thats the case, a weight could be set on it

Offlineswizzol
journeyman
Re: vicks leaking [Re: SoK]
    #3857585 - 03/02/05 02:12 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

i do not think that is an issue, there is a pretty tight seal there

OfflineDarkie
Bitches n hoes dont mean a thing
 User Gallery

#3857718 - 03/02/05 02:40 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Yea, i have this exact same problem, not sure if it a a vicks or not though. What happens is the lil spinny thing that makes the mist splatters water everywhere and some comes out between the tank and the top thing which makes for a big contaminat friendly mess. I used a strip of thick plastic between the two piece to fill the gap but water tendsto come out anyways so i used some duct tape and fixed it about 95%.

--------------------
You gotta wake up to get faded but you gotta get up to get paided.

Offlineswizzol
journeyman
Re: vicks leaking [Re: Darkie]
    #3857789 - 03/02/05 02:58 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Yea, duct tape was discussed, but it is very messy and doesnt would be a pain in the arse to reapply after every filling. Still looking for some other way to solve this problem. Possibly going to purchase another cool mist, because it is really pissing him off bad and he needs to make the fix...

OfflineDarkie
Bitches n hoes dont mean a thing
 User Gallery

#3857860 - 03/02/05 03:12 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I'm trying to remember what brand mine is but mine has a place where you can refill it without removing the top, that is why i could use duct tape. Duct tape is cheap and fast even if you have to reapply it everytime. If you get the cheapest ductape you can possibly buy from walmart there wont be any residue after taking it off. But i wouldnt use that crap for anything you really want secure but it keeps the water in my tank.

--------------------
You gotta wake up to get faded but you gotta get up to get paided.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: vicks leaking [Re: Darkie]
    #3857877 - 03/02/05 03:16 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I'd get some of that sticky foam striping. Put it around there and it should help form a better seal. I cant really tell if this will help..but it might..having like a sponge between them.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinepizzle3k
Midwest Mushin!
Male

Re: vicks leaking [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3858079 - 03/02/05 03:53 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

i have the same problem and couldnt fix it.I eventually just sat my cool mist in a small tub(kitty litter box) and let the water accumulate and just dump it every so often...i also add peroxide to the water so contams dont build up..never had a contam problem since..peace!!

Offlineswizzol
journeyman
Re: vicks leaking [Re: pizzle3k]
    #3859526 - 03/02/05 08:06 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Yea, the tub seems to be a good idea. At least until I can find a better solution to my friends problem. I cannot believe that no one else has had this problem with the Vick's cool mist, it seems to be used by people so frequently on this site. Oh well. If he comes up with a better solution I will post it so that future users of the cool mist will have an answer to the problem if they stumble upon it.

Offlinepizzle3k
Midwest Mushin!
Male

#3859971 - 03/02/05 09:25 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

its the only feasible thing i could think of ... yea ... some people would just say seal the leak,but water leaks can be hard to seal and plus you have to open it to keep it clean and refill...good choice on the tub,its just about your only option..peace!!

OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
    #3860122 - 03/02/05 09:53 PM (19 years, 30 days ago)

A long time ago when I used to use a vaporizer, I had one that did that. I did use silicone. I dried it out, and applied the silicone, but I smeared the lid thingie with Vaseline. When the silicone dried, it stuck to the base but not the lid. It made the silicone on the Vaseline side a bit tacky - lint and stuff stuck to it, and I don't remember if that side ever cured all the way. Stopped the overspray problem, though.

- Mages

--------------------
- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

Anonymous

#3967307 - 03/24/05 11:47 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

I bought mine, and I have the sime problem.
There is a white tape made of teflon that is used to this kind of truble. I will try to round the base several times with the teflon tape and I think it will work.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: vicks leaking [Re: cuatiklad]
    #3968167 - 03/25/05 10:13 AM (19 years, 7 days ago)

They do that sometimes. Just put a tray with dry perlite below the humidifier to catch the drips....

RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblesmellycat
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: vicks leaking [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3969582 - 03/25/05 04:37 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Dude, I have the same humidifier and same problem. I fixed it though. Just seal the entire thing w/ copious amounts of silicone sealant. WORKS wonderfully!

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
    #3970676 - 03/25/05 10:15 PM (19 years, 7 days ago)

Drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of your coolmist.  Place the coolmist inside an appropriately sized tub.  Drill holes about 5 or six inches from the bottom of the tub (depends on height of coolmist).  Place something (figure it out) through the holes to keep the coolmist from floating.  Fill the tub with water to just below the holes.  Now you can refill the coolmist by adding water to the tub. Any runoff goes back into the tub.  You can place an aquarium heater in the tub with the coolmst for temperature control.

I'll hunt you down if you make a tek out of my idea!  I've been cool about it in the past.  But no more... :wink:

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

InvisibleDK1
Male
Re: vicks leaking [Re: Olgualion]
    #4020864 - 04/06/05 09:10 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Olgualion said:
Drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of your coolmist.  Place the coolmist inside an appropriately sized tub.  Drill holes about 5 or six inches from the bottom of the tub (depends on height of coolmist).  Place something (figure it out) through the holes to keep the coolmist from floating.  Fill the tub with water to just below the holes.  Now you can refill the coolmist by adding water to the tub. Any runoff goes back into the tub.  You can place an aquarium heater in the tub with the coolmst for temperature control.

I'll hunt you down if you make a tek out of my idea!  I've been cool about it in the past.  But no more... :wink:

I tried this procedure that you describe but with some variation because I was also experiencing the same vicks leaking problem and I didn't want to have to refill it every day either.  So I drilled 4 1" holes into the bottom of my vicks and then wrapped quick fix tape around the outside of the unit where the top fitting and the base join.  Note: I didn't drill any holes in the side of the vicks.  Then I placed my vicks unit in a newly purchased cat litter box and proceeded to fill it with water until I reached the fill line.  Note: There is a fill line marked on the inside of the vicks but it can also easily be seen on the outside of the unit located on the back side, the top of the indentation is the fill line.  It took approximately 2 and 3/4 gallons to reach the fill line.  Also I should note that weighing down my vicks wasn't necessary because it didn't float at all.  Which is probably due to the large holes drilled in the bottom and no holes drilled through the side.

The procedure has been a great success and I am currently experiencing no leaking problems and refills consist of no more than a gallon once a week.  :crazy2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom