Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Scales, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSeoulTrippin
Stranger
Rice Cooker ?, and current status of 1st grow (Grow Log)
    #3857436 - 03/02/05 03:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hello all!

This is my first post here although I've been reading a long time. I recently started my first grow so decided it was time to become a member :smile:. Following the PF Tek, everything is going well with a few differences. I live in Asia and some things are slightly harder to find here, such as a stupid 1/2 pint jar of all things. So using the drinking glass, foil method there.

I wanted to start a thread basically as a way to keep track of this grow as well as maybe help others following the same steps/ difficulties. One thing I also wanted to do was include lots of pictures of every step. So I used my Dig Camera to document every step along the way. (Will be included in next post)

On to the present topic: There are pressure cookers available for sale here, however I already owned a rice cooker, which cooks the rice using pressurized steam, so I says to myselfs, lets try running my PF Tek jars w/ aluminum foil through 2 rice cooking cycles (each cycle lasts right at 30 mins) in place of a separately purchased PC.

It seems pretty trivial but I'm sort of a pessimist and fear the worst. I had some sterilized tubs standing by and using surgical gloves, respirator, misted air with Lysol in general area, immediately moved the jars from the rice cooker to the tubs. I then placed them in the bathroom which had been sterilized prior to cool.

Inoculation then occur ed using a Cambodian strain syringe using flame, wipe, stab method, all the time wearing gloves and the respirator. I stabbed directly through the top 2 layers of foil, then wiped w/ alcohol, then placed two more layers of foil on top of that. Once they were all noc'ed up I placed them inside my closet, still inside the sterilized tubs.

My questions:

1. Is the Rice cooker an OK substitute for a pressure cooker?

2. During the incubation period, do the jars need any sort of air exchange at all? I would think no to avoid contams of course but don't they have to breath? I would prefer to leave them locked in the sterilized tubs if possible to give them the most protection possible but don't want to smother my babies either.

3. After I post pics and the play-by-play would like if some of the experts might have some tips for next time around.

Long first post, and thanks for checking it out. Will post some pics when I get home.

Current stage: Incubation: Day 4

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSoK
pimpin sincebeen pimpinsince beenpimpin since..

Loc: ohio river valley
Re: Rice Cooker ?, and current status of 1st grow (Grow Log) [Re: SeoulTrippin]
    #3857471 - 03/02/05 03:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

idk much about rice cookers, but i'd say they'd MAYBE only work for verm/brf cakes, def. won't work w/ any grains

as long as you have holes in your lids w/ a dry layer of verm on top, (assuming your using brf/verm) you can leave them in the tub, thats what i did everytime and it worked just fine

if you set up a grow log, you'll def. get some comments, opinions, tips etc. throughout the grow. for tips to improve yields and quality though, you'll prob. eventually have to much up to grains and/or bulk, GL w/ your first!!

OfflineSeoulTrippin
Stranger
Re: Rice Cooker ?, and current status of 1st grow (Grow Log) [Re: SeoulTrippin]
    #3857722 - 03/02/05 04:42 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, here are some pics of what I've got so far.

This is the Brown Rice used, along with the Mortor and Pestle I used to grind it to Flour.

This is my Verm/BRF Mixture going into small drinking glasses. 1/4 cup BRF, 1/4 cup Mineral water, 1/2 cup Verm.

This is the Rice cooker with 3 jars in it. Did a total of 9 and took me about 4 hours, so will invest in a true PC later on.

Once the jars were finished in the cooker I transfered them to the tub shown, which was sterilized by washing with warm antibacterial dish soap and then wiping down with Lysol (r) wipes, then a shot of Lysol inside the tub.
I didn't get any pictures of the Inoculation process since I'm flying solo and didn't have enough hands to take pics, flame, and stab at the same time :smile:.

Other than that, the jars are still in the Sterilized tubs sitting in my closet with a temperature of around 85 degrees.

I have plans to construct a fully automated fruiting chamber later on but might go with a simple 2 chambered terrarium (manually misted) for this first strain. I have come up with a design I will share in my next post that, although a little elaborate, should do everything needed, 100% automated using timers and heat/humidity sensors. (I have a plan to do a filtered air exchange on a 6 hour cycle using charcoal filtered air tunnels and a exchange valve. (Think Creamatoria from Chronicles of Riddick where they go up for air...) But on a much simpler scale.

First post with pics so hope they're ok.

Comments very welcome, even rough ones. (I'm here to learn)

Thanks for lookin!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Pressure Cooker, Scales, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation