Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleIrradiated_Feces
doomedgeneration
 User Gallery

Loc: Great White North
The Rapture
    #3857297 - 03/02/05 02:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Does anyone here actually believe in the Rapture?

I think it's totally bogus that people believe they will up and leave their body in the blink of an eye because they read the bible.

I don't believe it's possible to leave this world without some form of suffering. But for the sake of entertaining this idea, is it possible that all the people dying now are part of the rapture, being saved from the turmoil to come in the end days?

:shrug:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: The Rapture [Re: Irradiated_Feces]
    #3857333 - 03/02/05 03:06 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Well, I think it's basis is solely to offer those that followed its tenants a favorable outcome in regards to their "faithfullness". That is that i believe that the main inspiration for it being within the bible as with all and/or most religious texts is to inspire to fear as a control mechanism. As far as everything occuring per revelations... read as deep as you want to.. but ultimately we are making self fullfilled prophecies... Better question is are we following the path of the bible's history, or is it following are path? When you actually look to the "good book" you'll see that in many ways most of the "end of days" phenomena can be avoided yet it isn't avoided as we are more or less lead to believe that It's happening due to the "work of god".

People have died and will continue dying through one form of suffering of another, I chalk it all up to coincidence. Unless you wish to directly correlate the deaths of human beings with the sole determinant based on one book that is....

Edit:

By doing so it suggests and punishes people for their views by asserting one single unified truth. Odd how a religion demonizes one group of people yet asserts it's own truth for it's own believers. Religions of that nature only promote warfare (crusades anyone? I could cite various other examples if you want).

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Edited by Psychoactive1984 (03/02/05 03:41 PM)

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #3857428 - 03/02/05 03:32 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I don't believe it although I did as a child when I was more religiously indoctrinated than I am today.

is it possible that all the people dying now are part of the rapture

Not according to the commonly held view of the Rapture. The people are supposed to go en masse only after the Tribulation is well underway.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineDigitalBuddha
The Wanderer

Loc: Tibet
Re: The Rapture [Re: Jellric]
    #3857644 - 03/02/05 04:22 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Some conservative christians are trying to hasten the depletion of natural resources, becuase they think when we run out Jesus will come back.

--------------------
"The pioneers of a warless world are the youth who refuse military service"

-Albert Einstein-

OfflineMAGnum
veteran

#3858791 - 03/02/05 07:55 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

The rapture is completely bullshit and unbiblical. It won't happen. It is based on something written in Mathew 24 through 25 and Mark 13 through 14.

It is simply bogus as you said.

--------------------
Agent 727

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: The Rapture [Re: MAGnum]
    #3859335 - 03/02/05 09:30 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MAGnum said:
The rapture is completely bullshit and unbiblical.  It won't happen. It is based on something written in Mathew 24 through 25 and Mark 13 through 14.

It is simply bogus as you said.

i was just about to ask where they got this idea of the rapture from, i don't see it any where in the bible, not even in the apocrypha..  :mad: :thumbdown:

another reason why i don't trust people..

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: The Rapture [Re: JCoke]
    #3860209 - 03/03/05 12:15 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

"51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptibel must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality."

I Corinthians 15:51-53

Not very difficult to find. In Chapter 15 of I Corinthians, Paul describes the 'Corpus Incorruptibilis' - the Incorruptible Body as being ontologically different from the body of flesh.

"44 There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body." I Corinthians 15:44.

I doubt that people here who rail against the Bible have even read the books let alone ask teachers what the meanings are. Biblical language must be understood as an ancient form of writing called 'midrash,' and NOT anything like the writings of modernity. People would rather attempt to understand what some Taoist alchemist means by the 'formation of the Immortal Foetus,' than try to understand Paul's explanation of a 'spiritual body' which may amount to the same thing - a non-material vehicle for consciousness - expanded consciousness - Christ Consciousness. Instead, people maintain their childhood imaginations or images from Chick Publications of people becoming instantly invisible, their clothes dropping to the ground. Few people attempt to understand these writings as subjective states but attempt to imagine them from an artificial 'objective' position - some eye-of-God detached view which is not intended or even possible.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: The Rapture [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3865358 - 03/04/05 12:01 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
"51  Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.
52  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53  For this corruptibel must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality."

I Corinthians 15:51-53

Not very difficult to find. In Chapter 15 of I Corinthians, Paul describes the 'Corpus Incorruptibilis' - the Incorruptible Body as being ontologically different from the body of flesh.

"44  There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body."  I Corinthians 15:44.

I doubt that people here who rail against the Bible have even read the books let alone ask teachers what the meanings are. Biblical language must be understood as an ancient form of writing called 'midrash,' and NOT anything like the writings of modernity. People would rather attempt to understand what some Taoist alchemist means by the 'formation of the Immortal Foetus,' than try to understand Paul's explanation of a 'spiritual body' which may amount to the same thing - a non-material vehicle for consciousness - expanded consciousness - Christ Consciousness. Instead, people maintain their childhood imaginations or images from Chick Publications of people becoming instantly invisible, their clothes dropping to the ground. Few people attempt to understand these writings as subjective states but attempt to imagine them from an artificial 'objective' position - some eye-of-God detached view which is not intended or even possible.

:thumbup:

I believe it to be deep in metaphores and carry the means to which we should live are lives. But the expression thereof has been altered too many times to fully believe in it. Anyone heard of the Kolbrin? Should be available online, a bit older then the Gutenburg Bible, and still holds much of what hasn't been altered to suit our politics.

Beyond that, the dissemination and distribution of knowledge religious texts, are done through those that hold them. Just something else to bring up... anyone heard of 'wormwood' in the bible? Its literal translation is "poisoner of waters"...

I've read many accounts of various scholars, and some suggest that wormwood was a comet and that it did poison the waters by virtue of its makeup and it's capacity to poison the waters (due to the scholar's theory that comets are not dirty snowballs as he accounts for the sunward spike of the comet coma and how it is always polarized away form the sun further suggesting an electrical nature from the universe, and not because ice is continually melting off.. I digress). Anyhow, perhaps the beliefs and the mechanisms in them which are presented have a higher value then meets the eye. Perhaps it doesn't... its the fun of discussing it.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology