Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFINITE1
Stranger in aStrange Land
Best method of sterilizing?
    #3856405 - 03/02/05 09:07 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ok here's what I need to know. Would a spray bottle with alcohol and water, or lysol be the best method of sterilizing. I have lysol air sanitizer but don't know about the fragrance they add or if it will sanitize surfaces. Heading out to get some lysol regardless so its between that and an alcohol water solution. If the alcohol water solution would be best whats the ratio?

--------------------
I was there at the last concert in Chicago, Soldier Field actually. It was my first concert experience and the best time I have ever had. Little did I know it would be the last time I would see them play.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFloydseamus
Fun Guy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Long Island Flag
Re: Best method of sterilizing? [Re: FINITE1]
    #3856412 - 03/02/05 09:08 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

if you are sterilizing surfaces, then either would work.... im a phreak tho and use both.... i use 91% alcohol.... no water mixed.....

--------------------

OfflineShroomGuy86
Shroooooooooooooooom

Loc: MycVille
- [Re: Floydseamus]
    #3856415 - 03/02/05 09:09 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

-

--------------------
"I put Lamborghini doors on that Es-co-lade
Low pro so low look like I'm riding on blades" - 50 Cent

OfflineShrooms4Less
Shroom4Free
 User Gallery

Loc: Right Here
Re: Best method of sterilizing? [Re: ShroomGuy86]
    #3856477 - 03/02/05 09:27 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I use straight 91 alcohol and lysols when sanitizing stuff that doesn't have immediate conact with cakes or fruit. godd luck and Peace

--------------------
If your friend is already dead, and being eaten by vultures, I think it's okay to feed some bits of your friend to one of the vultures, to teach him to do some tricks. But ONLY if you're serious about adopting the vulture. - Deep Thoughts (Saturday Night Live)

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: Best method of sterilizing? [Re: Shrooms4Less]
    #3856558 - 03/02/05 09:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Oust has a good nozzle for air borne effectiveness... I use 91% iso, lysol, and oust.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best method of sterilizing? [Re: XTCollection]
    #3856728 - 03/02/05 10:42 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Wheres everyone getting 91% iso? I always see 70%. Thats what I use for surfaces. Oust for the air.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!

Re: Best method of sterilizing? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3856958 - 03/02/05 11:26 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I use 99.9% iso, without the exta water it evaps quick

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

OfflineFINITE1
Stranger in aStrange Land
Re: Best method of sterilizing? [Re: penlight438094]
    #3857004 - 03/02/05 11:36 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Say I wanted to sanitize the jars themselves. The outside of the jars that is that are already incubating.

--------------------
I was there at the last concert in Chicago, Soldier Field actually. It was my first concert experience and the best time I have ever had. Little did I know it would be the last time I would see them play.

Edited by FINITE1 (03/02/05 11:41 AM)

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3857005 - 03/02/05 11:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Avoid apple scented lysol. Damn shit messed me up , was using it and it left odor on jars and made me think shit was contamed. Is great for in the toilet area though  :wink:

I use lysol kitchen disenfectant(antibac kind) on counter tops and such , mist air with lysol spray , antibac soaps on hands and under fingernails , peroxide and vinegar in sepaerate mister bottles also works good as cleaners , vinegar\water on floors.
Lots of ways to go and much better than just plain old alc.

SCAT 90% can be found at most pharmacies , grocery stores and Wally world usually only have the 70%.

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3857022 - 03/02/05 11:40 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FINITE1 said:
Say I wanted to sanitize the jars themselves. The outside of the jars that is.

Before handleing jars with media in them , just wash the hell out of your hands with antibac soap , wear glooves (surgical) if noid.
As far as cleaning them between uses , just wash them in hot bleach water , dry with paper towel and store till ready to use again. Then just rinse real good , fil and PC as normal.

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Invisiblesmellycat
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Best method of sterilizing? [Re: tripndicular]
    #3857797 - 03/02/05 03:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

70% alcohol is better, believe it or not. It has something to do with the ability to permeate cell membranes better at that concentration. So use 70%!

-D

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Best method of sterilizing? [Re: smellycat]
    #3857961 - 03/02/05 03:32 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I've heard something about that. Higher then that evaporates to quick. Doesnt even have time to permeate the cell membranes of what your trying to kill. Or something.

And now theres 99.9% I didnt even think you could get that except for like pure ethonal or something that you drink. I dont know much about alcohols so take most of my statments as questions. I'm interested..

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #3858033 - 03/02/05 03:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

FINITE1 said:
Say I wanted to sanitize the jars themselves. The outside of the jars that is that are already incubating.

I never bother.

---

As far as cleaning counters or the inside of the incubators and fruiting chambers...I use bleachy water.

I don't use Lysol anymore...I use cheap $1 store spray disinfectant.

I use 99% and 70% alcohol for other stuff.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisiblekorins
Antisocialite

Re: Best method of sterilizing? [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3860730 - 03/03/05 12:27 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

One of the most critical factors in the use of alcohols as disinfectants is concentration. The disinfectant properties of both ethanol and isopropyl alcohol rapidly drop at concentrations below fifty percent (50%) and above ninety percent (90%). Peak disinfectant activity occurs at approximately sixty-seven percent (67%) concentration, but anywhere from 60 - 90% will do.

The actual anitsceptic mechanism of action by alcohols is still unconfirmed (mostly), but theories for how alcohol might kill cells include denaturing of cell proteins, interfering with cellular metabolism and destroying cell membranes. In the absence of water, proteins are not denatured as readily by alcohol, and this explains why a solution of 70 percent alcohol and 30 percent water is a better sanitizer than 100 percent alcohol. I honestly can't think of a reason why the water content would affect alcohol's action on cell membranes.

Some of you were also on the right track mentioning the faster evaporation too, because most people recommend alcohol to remain on surfaces for ~15 minutes, which just isn't possible without many reapplications at higher concentrations.

Fractional distillation of alcohols (at least ethanol [the kind you drink :beer:]) is unable to purify a solution beyond 95%. To achieve higher concentrations, chemical extractions must be performed (I know of one involving benzene, a 6 carbon aromatic ring).

BTW: Denaturation of proteins is basically when they become unfolded/unraveled, causing loss of function. Cells w/o functioning proteins are screwed.

Hope that answers some of your questions!:shrug:

Edited by korins (03/03/05 12:37 AM)

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: Best method of sterilizing? [Re: korins]
    #3860889 - 03/03/05 12:59 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

Wow, great info! 5 Shrooms to ya :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2: :mushroom2:
The obvious conclusion is that you shouldn't use alcohol over 90% concentration, however I think some would overlook the fact that diluting alcohol in a spray bottle for sterilization would be less effective at concentrations lower than 50%.  That means with 70% alcohol you'd have to keep it roughly 3:4 ratio alcohol:water (actually 5:7 which would be ~28.6% added water)  concentration to keep it safe and simple.  With 90% alcohol you'd be lookin at 3:5 ratio alcohol:water (actually 5:9 which would be ~44.5% added water) to keep it safe and simple.  Sorry for pointing this out if it seems like an obvious conclusion, I just thought alot of people might overlook that aspect and keep with the ineffective mixing and spraying of alcohol and water at low concentrations for sterilization... Laterz :stoned:

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix