Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Air Stone, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSEN_DF_26
Stranger
Quick switch to bubbler.....
    #3855721 - 03/02/05 05:11 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

My spores are on order, and my setup is coming together, however I've decided I may change humidification techniques. I was going to use a Vicks Cool mist, but have been unable to find one. A friend gave me one, but it turned out to leak a LOT, so it was no good.

I have been thinking about switching to aquarium bubblers because it seems so simple [and it'll give me something to do]. Initially I had a problem with it because I don't want to sacrifice any space within my terrariums as each can fit only 2 casings. But, I've got two ideas:

My first idea was to get a small Rubbermaid container that could fit 4 long air stones, which I would mount to the bottom. Then I would simply attach a fan, and a couple hose attachments. I would simply let the air stones run [via pumps of course] and I'd imagine the fan would blow the moist air out hose attachments [which of course would lead to the terrariums]. The biggest problem with this idea is the fan. A PC fan would be perfect, however I don't know if the high humidity would fuck it up, or if I could simply get a water proof one.

My second idea was to use a small Rubbermaid container for each terrarium. In each one I would put two air stones. However instead of placing the containers on the floor of the terrariums [taking up valuable space] I would use curtain rods to suspend the containers near the top. I would use two thin curtain rods per terrarium, allowing me to place the lip of the containers on the rods. The curtain rods would lift out easily so it wouldn't make for any difficulty in terms of moving casings in and out of the terrarium. This seems to me like the better of the two ideas, however I am worried that there might be excessive condensation on the top of the terrarium, resulting in drops of water falling on my casings. Also I am not sure the pumps will provide enough air exchange.

I would like to go with the second idea because it seems a lot more simple, however I would like good air exchange. Just for reference, each terrarium is 21 gallons, and I plan on using 1 pump per set of air stones [dual output pumps]. I?m also worried about noise, as I?d rather my closet not sound like a busted fountain. I figure I can throw the pumps in a couple boxes stuffed with some padding to help keep them from being loud, I just don?t want them to fuck up, or catch fire or something.

Just so you know, the reason I want to do this is not only because I can?t find the right humidifier [and I don?t feel like ordering online] but because it also seems much simpler. With the second idea all I?d have to do is keep some hydrogen peroxide in the containers, and clean them every once and a while, and it should all be good.

I don?t know, I?d really like suggestions on this. So far humidification has been my biggest concern so I wanna get it right. Any ideas? I?d really like some good responses; something more then ?Get a cool mist?. If anyone knows if either of these ideas would work out, or if you could address my concerns that?d be great.

Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: Quick switch to bubbler..... [Re: SEN_DF_26]
    #3856310 - 03/02/05 10:38 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I use a bubbler set up that I bought from a pet store heres a link on where to buy one all you need to add is air pump. also this is just a tube fed into the chamber and rod attaches to sides with suction cups this works great especially with casings, its a constant supply of humidity and oxygen heres your link http://www.petco.com/search/mercado_sear...ntry=humidifier

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: Quick switch to bubbler..... [Re: djsage420]
    #3856325 - 03/02/05 10:42 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

This system also doesnt take up any room in chamber its an external unit, it has a tube fed into water with airstone on it then theres a sponge in water to suspend air bubbles longer and the lid screws on and theres an outlet tube that goes into chamber

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

OfflineMages
Spaz
 User Gallery
Re: Quick switch to bubbler..... [Re: djsage420]
    #3856586 - 03/02/05 12:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I use a bubbler system, and have good results. I've read that bubblers can't increase humidity enough, but the way I do it I actually have to stop back on the airflow to keep it from getting too humid. I use a tall-ish (9 inches - 23 cm) container, and cut some of those green scrubbie pads just big enough to squish inside the container. The air comes in at the bottom and has to bubble THROUGH the scrubbie pads. This forces the bubbles to spend more time in the water & breaks big bubbles up into smaller ones (which increases surface area) and the result of all this is the bubbles pick up more humidity. Ambient humidity about 40 - inside the grow chamber up to 98 until I stopped back on the airflow a little.
I made a rectangular container out of spare Plexiglas & silicone caulk, then made some wire supports for the scrubbie material. I stacked these inside the container support-scrubbie-support-scrubbie all the way to the top. The bubbler tube comes through a caulked hole in the bottom. The air comes out the open top.
That version was a lot of trouble to make, but I've thought about it and future ones will be a lot simpler. I'll use some sort of tall Tupperware style container (like the one for spaghetti) and the supports will just be rings cut out of coke cans with scissors, and dropped in there between layers of scrubbie. I've also thought about doing an external version to save grow chamber space. This would use the same Tupperware version, but fasten the lid and insert an outgoing tube from near the top. If there are no leaks, incoming pressure should force air out & into the grow chamber.
- Mages

--------------------
- Mages

Ignorance killed the cat; curiosity was framed.
- C.J. Cherryh

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Air Stone, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation