Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Seeding an outdoor compost heap
    #3854623 - 03/01/05 09:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hello everyone.  I have a compost heap out back and the composted material below the brush/branches/food waste is pretty rich stuff.  I would think it would be quite nutritious for cubies. 
  I was thinking about innoculating some quart jars of karo water and then letting those colonize and dumping that onto the compost when it gets warmer.  Or perhaps I should spawn some grain?  Or will this even work?  Any links or advice (I'm in the central midwest) on how/when to do this? 
    I'm really just looking to experiment a bit, this sounded like an interesting thing to do.  Thanks!  :grin:

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seeding an outdoor compost heap [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3854688 - 03/01/05 10:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Unfortunately not just any compost will work for cubes. The liquid culture idea is a good one, but it won't work. Your best shot at testing out this compost is bagging and pasteurizing a good heap of it indoors, then spawning colonized grains to it. It's definitely worth a try.

Just my .02, good luck!

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

OfflineSeril
Stranger

Loc: PNW
Re: Seeding an outdoor compost heap [Re: Holydiver]
    #3854990 - 03/01/05 11:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

the heap is probably too hot. the center of the heap can get to temperatures of 160 degrees F. Too hot!

as mentioned above, take some into a pillow case, pasturize it, and inoculate it indoors to test it.

--------------------
Seril,
Political language -true of all political parties- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give solidity to pure wind..

InvisibleGnuBobo
Frilly Cuffs Extraordinaire
 User Gallery

Loc: Charisma
Re: Seeding an outdoor compost heap [Re: Seril]
    #3856343 - 03/02/05 08:47 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks guys. I was concerned about the heat, too. Piles of hay "spontaneously" combust in the summer sometimes here. Maybe I'll make a little bed of compost off the pile with some pasteurized compost. Got a couple of months to figure it out..

--------------------
Jerry Garcia. JERRY GARCIA! JERRY GARCIA!!!!

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Seeding an outdoor compost heap [Re: GnuBobo]
    #3856362 - 03/02/05 08:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Do you own The Mushroom Cultivator? It has a great chapter on making your own mushroom compost.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale