Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Papaver Somniferum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
poppies in cactus soil mix?
    #3853713 - 03/01/05 08:09 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

well, it is springish weather where i live so i was considering throwing some poppy seeds into the soil. i only have cactus soil, will this suffice for poppy growth? also, my pots are very small...like 3 inches deep and 4 inches wide, will this suffice until they start growing?

any helpful links dealing with poppy cultivation during the lifecycle of the poppy plant? the poppies.org site isn't working very well for me.

also, are the poppy seeds you can get at homedepot good for harvesting opium or is that a diff species?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
Re: poppies in cactus soil mix? [Re: TODAY]
    #3855377 - 03/02/05 02:56 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

honestly i don't know if cactus soil would be good for poppies so i have no advice there. i have never used it in this manner. poppies are very adaptive to harsh growing conditions so it may work, though that's not a promise. i usually use regular potting soil cut with a good amount of sand. poppies love a loose airy medium to grow in. they hate overly moist, thick compacted soil. they do best if the soil is high in P as well.

you will need to either get bigger containers or find a nice spot in your garden. poppies do not respond well to transplanting at all. they will most likely die if they are transplanted, their roots are very very fragile and damage quite easily. plant your seeds where you want your pops to flower.

no, the seeds available at home depot are not papaver somniforum (opium poppy). they are most probably papaver rhoeas (corn/red poppy). these are a complete waste of time. though don't get discouraged, poppy seeds are cheap and readily available. there are various ethnoshops all around that sell them for reasonable prices at good amounts per bag. they are usually sold by the gram. now, if you have never seen poppy seeds before, you will realize that a gram is hundreds of seeds. poppy seeds are tiny and a gram could last you quite a while. i usually order from ethnoshops but for whatever reason this option is not available to you, there are other ways. ever heard of a poppy seed muffin? these poppy seeds are in fact papaver somniforum and supposedly one can fail a drug test for opiates if they eat those regularly. ever seen that episode of Seinfeld? well the seeds bakeries use are in fact viable and will grow. not as good of a germination rate as ethno seeds but they will grow. the strain is thought to be Tasmanian and the flowers are red. you can find these at almost any grocery in town. just take a stroll down the spice aisle. it is better to buy by larger amounts but a little spice container will put out some plants. 

as far as places to go for information, i have none. but the book that introduced me to the world of poppy gardening was 'Opium For The Masses' by Jim Hogshire.

hope some of this was helpful.
peace and poppies :smile:

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: poppies in cactus soil mix? [Re: Psilostylin]
    #3855407 - 03/02/05 03:06 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

ty very much, very helpful. can the sand be beach sand or playground sand? is a 2 to 1 sand to soil mix good, 1 to 1?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Re: poppies in cactus soil mix? [Re: TODAY]
    #3855496 - 03/02/05 03:28 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

the ratio really depends on the coarseness of the soil itself. if the soil is relatively thin, then less sand should be used. but if theres pieces of junk in there and it compacts really easily, 2 to 1 would be your best bet. the key is to really loosen up the soil. beach sand would be fine as long as it's decently clean. never used play sand so i couldn't tell ya. i assume it would work. the type of sand i use is what they pack into sandbags and hand out during hurricanes. i believe this is riversand or beachsand. not too much of an expert when it comes to sand type. maybe someone else can chime in and clarify which is the best to use.

best of luck with your grow
keep us updated

peace

OfflineElectric305
Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: poppies in cactus soil mix? [Re: Psilostylin]
    #3855817 - 03/02/05 06:41 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

two questions in reference to your post about seeds...Is the california poppy a opium producer?I have read in many places that all poppy species produce opium...
also curious...have you actualy grown the poppy seeds off of a bagel yourself?I would think these would be cooked onto the bagel.
Just wondering a little more about them because i was planning on planting some soon and wish to be as informed as possible...thank u

OfflineKerr
Who else would I be

Loc: My roots in the Koots
Re: poppies in cactus soil mix? [Re: Electric305]
    #3857355 - 03/02/05 03:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

In regards to the California poppy, there is no opium. They have opiate like substances but are very mild. I grew some for shits and giggles last year and plucked all the flowers. The smoke is very mild and goes great with some MJ. Its works great for a sedative, but dont expect to get anything more than that. :smile:

--------------------
"Easy going and organic thoughts bent on self experimentation and knowledge and growth for the betterment of self and those around us"
-Playdo the philosophiser

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Re: poppies in cactus soil mix? [Re: Kerr]
    #3858150 - 03/02/05 06:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i'm looking at papaver somniferum (sp?)...and i have some seeds already.  of course, i think they are pretty and i'd never harvest them for any drug related endeavor :wink:

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Re: poppies in cactus soil mix? [Re: Kerr]
    #3858205 - 03/02/05 06:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

no, the seeds on a cooked bagel or muffin are clearly not viable. i was speaking in refrence to the fact that these type of seeds are the same as the opium producing strain. i was using that as an example to how easily they are to obtain. obviously, any type of seed cooked in an oven will not sprout but before it is used as a spice, when it is packaged, it is viable and can be used. like i said earlier, the germination rate is slightly lower than seeds from an ethnoshop but you will get some sprouts.

and no, papaver rhoeas (corn/red poppy) is not an opium producing strain of poppy. it does produce latex but it is not of narcotic value. two other plants that are confused as being opium producers are the prickly poppy and the california poppy. these has no narcotic value and aren't even real poppies. they are of a completely different species of plant. despite their names as "poppies", they are indeed nothing of the sort. the only opium producing strains of "poppies" are papaver somniforum and papaver somniforum var. paeoniflorum. though the paeoniflorums are just a sub of the somniforum.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Papaver Somniferum

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden