Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenighthunter
nocturnal nailor
Loc: Kentucky, United States
curious shrooms
    #3847925 - 02/28/05 05:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Went hiking the other day here in southern KY and came across some curious mushrooms. They were a dark orange, almost brown and about 2 inches tall. The caps and stems were the same color and seemed a little sticky. The gills were close together and attached to the stem. The caps was shaped like a knob. They were growing on a dead tree in a area that was somewhat shaded and low in ground. The mushrooms had a mushroom smell. Did not have time to do a spore print or take a picture, sorry. Also, they were not growing in clusters, kind of spred out. It has been unuassally warm here this time of year about 50's day and 35 at night. In my state, psilocybe caerulipes and gymnopilus spectabilis are grown here. I don't think it could be the psilocybe caerulipes, did not fit the profile. Possible gymnopilus spectabilis because they are known to grow on stumps, logs, and dead trees and said to have the same color and size, but I couldn't find the stem color or if the stem is hollow. The mushrooms I found had hollow stems. Also I don't know if it bruises blue when touched. I did not take the shrooms I found with me, just curious what they could be so I could ID them next time I come across them. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. :cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: curious shrooms [Re: nighthunter]
    #3848355 - 02/28/05 06:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Spore print color will be essential for ID.

I'm going to take a stab at this one though. orange brown, two inch tall, sticky cap, on wood, in Kentucky, in February = Galerina autumnalis, deadly.

Did they look anything like these?

Offlinenighthunter
nocturnal nailor
Re: curious shrooms [Re: shroomydan]
    #3853359 - 03/01/05 04:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No, they were a little smaller but maybe they were not mature yet. The gills and stems were orange/brown and attached. Maybe it could of been the galerina autumnalis at a younger stage. Do you know where I could find more pictures on the galerina autumnalis? Also, do you know where I could find any pictures of the psilocybe caerulipes. Sorry I couldn't get a spore print of my find. If I do come across them again in the future, I'll be sure to bring some home for more information. Thanks for the help anyways, shroomerydan.

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
    #3853465 - 03/01/05 05:17 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Not psilocybe caerulipes- I agree ahead of time with SD on this- many GA specimens are not necissarilly the same at all- can be much smaller and spaced out- very sommon in KY and also I have NEVER found a collection that looks like his photog. Get a print my friend. Galerina specimens are often small, unopened, and completely dissimilar to the above posted pic. Also you will not find that psilocybe this time of year. They often look like buttons and are short and please do not assume gyms as they are clustered mostly and rather large as a whole. Pic and print- Do not consume or consider- I'm certainly not saying you are dumb by any means- it's simply the case that many are, and are also over-zealous.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
    #3853766 - 03/01/05 06:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Offlinecibarius
Stranger
    #3853890 - 03/01/05 06:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The only G. spectabilis I've seen have been really beefy and large, with stem color close to that of the cap, and solid, thick stems.

Offlinesuperblingtheory
ghettogepetto

Loc: Omnipresent
Re: curious shrooms [Re: cibarius]
    #3854052 - 03/01/05 07:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

There are, in times of weather similar to these, specimens of Galerina who are so short as to appear like firm jelly cups and the like come up only to be stunted. One of the mushrooms with the highest degreee of variability I have ever seen, making it so incredibly dangerous to play with gyms. and other mushies that are wood loving and of any interest whatsoever it is unbelievable.

--------------------

Guts and danger, Airborne Ranger...

Offlinenighthunter
nocturnal nailor
Re: curious shrooms [Re: superblingtheory]
    #3854758 - 03/01/05 10:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I kind of went unprepared on my hiking trip. Next time I'll take a camera and some paper bags for my harvesting. I'm new to mushroom hunting but I'm already hooked. I think it is really interesting to find different shrooms in different habitats. Plan on going again in the future. I can't wait. Like I said earlier, the weather here in southern Kentucky has been very unusuall. It really surprised me to see these interesting shrooms this time of year. I guess that's why I'm so excited to find out what I found. Thanks for the info.

Offlinenighthunter
nocturnal nailor
Re: curious shrooms [Re: shroomydan]
    #3854854 - 03/01/05 10:36 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I think that is what I found. Do they grow all year? Thanks for the extra pics. You've been alot of help, shroomerydan.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies