Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Woo Hoo...Bob's first case of Pan. Cyans. is pinning. Need info from successful growers!
    #3848019 - 02/28/05 05:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Bob didn't get too much advice from those who have grown Pan. Cyans. last time he posted. Here is his plan now. He is going to give the pins about 12-24 more hours to get set up. Then, he was going to move the casing out of his PMP and into an area that will recieve fresh air and light. "Wet feet, dry heads":
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post2795987
And:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post2813803

According to that guy, evaporation is a must.The only thing is that it get's no higher that 30% humidity here. I just want to make sure that I'm not going to over dry it.

For those who have grown these, is this the meathod you used? The teks say to treat them almost as cubies once there in the fruiting chamber. Please let me know. Thanks.

--------------------
Flashbacks are God's way of saying, "This one's on me".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: Woo Hoo...Bob's first case of Pan. Cyans. is pinning. Need info from successful growers! [Re: ymhrswrider]
    #3851598 - 03/01/05 11:12 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Aww.. come on. Do I smell or something. How come no one has bothered to help me out. Bob's got about 4 quarter inch mushies coming up and he needs to know if he needs to move them before they abort. Anyone?

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Woo Hoo...Bob's first case of Pan. Cyans. is pinning. Need info from successful growers! [Re: ymhrswrider]
    #3851628 - 03/01/05 11:18 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Because you asked in basic cultivation. What do you think Advanced is for? other species are advanced and you'd have better luck posting there. I havnt seen anyone else who recommends what that person does. Stamets say high humidity. Conditions very close to cubies. LOTS OF AIR IS THE KEY.

You want more, youll need to post in advanced.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: Woo Hoo...Bob's first case of Pan. Cyans. is pinning. Need info from successful growers! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3851702 - 03/01/05 11:41 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"2) This forum is for the discussion of advanced techniques and experimental procedures. This forum is ABSOLUTELY NOT a support forum, for problems with your grows. Any posts regarding your PF Cakes, a specie which has been cultivated ad nauseam, grain ratios, contaminated grows, how to prepare dung, or anything else which has been covered in the forum, etc... will be moved immediately upon review - so please, do not waste the resources, time, or bandwidth of the shroomery"

That's why. #2 in the Advanced Forum Rules. I'll give it a shot anyway.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3851839 - 03/01/05 12:10 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you mean "a specie which has been cultivated ad nauseam", that means a species which has been cultivated endlessly. I wouldnt place pan cyans in there. Don't get me wrong either, not trying to jump on you, just let you know.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Loc: very south
    #3851966 - 03/01/05 12:35 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Wet Feet Dry heads, just means stop misting the casing when you have pins. KEEP CASINGS IN FRUITNg CHAMBER. If you have an automated system your casings will develope easily.

I fruit in a rubbermaid with manual paper plate fanning and manual misting. For me all I have to do is leave the lid partially open, and it does all the maturation for me, if the casing was primed properly. That is just my experience.

This is not removing the casing and exposing it to 30%humidity. If you read all of the threads in relation to Pan cyans, you could not have come to the conclusion you did. The only time I ever recommended removing a casing from a fruiting chamber was when it was contaminated.

Humidity should never fall below 85% humidity for succesful fruiting.

Just don't spray the buttons or developeing mushrooms with water and you should be fine.

Evaporation rate increases as the humidity in the air decreases. My system does this without any fanning during mushroom developement, becasue of the drop in humidity in the air. NO FANNINg is necessary once the lid top is slightly open.To much of an Evaporation rate is bad. My drop is from 95+ to 85+ % humidity when lid is on to when lid is slightly off. MAX. It is probably even more subtle then that.

I never found the need to create anything automated. I actually like misting and fanning myself, and I have found that very little of both are needed for success with cubensis or Copelandias.

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
Re: Woo Hoo...Bob's first case of Pan. Cyans. is pinning. Need info from successful growers! [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3852078 - 03/01/05 12:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No stamets doesn't say high humidity for fruiting. He says to lower it. Unfortunaetly you and the guy above have misinterpereted any and all of the POSTS relating to Evaporation rate and Copelandias.

In a system that has high humidity above 95+ Fanning is disturbing the boundary layer around the mushroom and the casing surface, hence increasing the Evaporation rate by decreasing the humidity in the immeiate area around the fungi and the casing surface. So if your humidity is really high, you need to fan alot. When your humidity is lowered only slightly you have to fan less. If you lower to much, you dry everything out.

Evaporation rate is responsible for the EXPANSION of mushrooms with water. Just think of the Air immediately surrounding the mushroom as a sponge, the drier it is the faster it will suck up water through the mushroom, and also from the casing surface. This sucking pulls water into the mushroom and matures it.  So things happen faster at 85% then at 95%. Both are within the range to not completely dry out the shrooms.  Mushrooms developed at the lower end of the humidity range will be shorter with wider caps(within the rrange for the genetic makeup of the strain), then those that develope at higher huumidity, tall and skinny, with smaller cap to stem ratio.

Fanning= manipulating Evaporation rate. Lid slightly open on a fruitng chamber does the same thing.  I fan early to remove Co2 from the casing surface,to get pins, I leave lid slighlty open to do the maturation phase, to get healthy fruits with spores wihout fanning.

Stamets says to lower humidity during Fruiting maturation. But neither Stamets or myself ever said to lower humidity to a point that will dry the casing out before the mushrooms mature.

"LOTS OF AIR IS KEY"= Lowered humidity.

If you would like a visual demonstration of the same strain growing in high humidity with fanning, versus the same strain growing in lowered humidity with no fanning. I'll be happy to show you.  :tongue:

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Woo Hoo...Bob's first case of Pan. Cyans. is pinning. Need info from successful growers! [Re: EonTan]
    #3852217 - 03/01/05 01:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You misunderstood me. I was being short because the guy there refered to low humidity (30% number) and I thought Stamets said 95% for pin formation. I meant to say "Stamets says highER humidity [than30%]." Of course though, once mushroom form and are growing, humidity is best dropped to 85%, but transpiration doesnt just apply to pans, mushrooms in general. I wasnt trying to be specific, just telling the person it should be higher then 30%...cubie range.

--------------------

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

#3852388 - 03/01/05 02:05 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

EonTan, thanks. I pretty much knew that 30% humidity was way low but that guy was arguing pretty hard for taking the casing out of the chamber. I don't have a very accurate hygrometer(sp?), so I don't know exactly where I'm at. I do have condensation in the top of the casing(small water droplets all over the top). In your experience, is this too much humidity? I've also got cubies in the pmp(60gallon container, lava rocks, 60 gallon air pump, and two 12 inch air stones). Do you think I should crack the lid a bit being that I've got that condensation on the casing? I would think the cubies would do just as well at the lower huidity as well, right?(they're cased also)

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3852427 - 03/01/05 02:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I would crack the lid and leave it off slight to the side to let some stale air and humidity out.

--------------------

OfflineVALIS
vast activelivingintelligencesystem
 User Gallery

Loc: neverwhere, az
Re: Woo Hoo...Bob's first case of Pan. Cyans. is pinning. Need info from successful growers! [Re: EonTan]
    #3852527 - 03/01/05 02:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

EonTan said:If you would like a visual demonstration of the same strain growing in high humidity with fanning, versus the same strain growing in lowered humidity with no fanning. I'll be happy to show you.

I think that would be a beneficial demonstration for intrepid new pan cyan cultivators.

Any and all info, beyond what _fairly_ little is already out there, regarding these little guys is much appreciated - especially new pics and growlogs.

Thanks!

--------------------
Nature is the Technology of the Divine.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Woo Hoo...Bob's first case of Pan. Cyans. is pinning. Need info from successful growers! [Re: VALIS]
    #3852596 - 03/01/05 02:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

EonTan said:If you would like a visual demonstration of the same strain growing in high humidity with fanning, versus the same strain growing in lowered humidity with no fanning. I'll be happy to show you.

we would love to see
:loveeyes:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
    #3852818 - 03/01/05 03:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No that guy wasn't arguing pretty hard for taking the casing out of the chamber. THAT GUY WAS ME.

As long as your air exchange is very good(fanning) combined with high humidity, or you have minimal fanning with lower humidity, you should do fine. MOSt IMPORTANT is to not mist the pins/buttons/mushrooms once they have formed.

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

#3852929 - 03/01/05 03:36 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ahhh...Well thanks for the info. Wish me luck.

P.S. EonTan said:If you would like a visual demonstration of the same strain growing in high humidity with fanning, versus the same strain growing in lowered humidity with no fanning. I'll be happy to show you.

That would be great. Make sure you let us know where you put it if you post it somewhere else.

--------------------

OfflineVALIS
 User Gallery

#3853008 - 03/01/05 03:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

EonTan said:As long as your air exchange is very good(fanning) combined with high humidity, or you have minimal fanning with lower humidity, you should do fine.

You know, I'm really glad you brought that up, specifically.

Evaporation.... would one establish a higher evaporation rate by configuring an environment which produced consistently high humidity ( 95-100%, say ) combined with a high level of air exchange and circulation ( using a timed pc fan, for instance ), than with an environment that just simply had lower humidity and lower air exchange/circulation?

Assuming that both environments each maintained the same ambient rH via their respective conditions as described ( say, 75-85% ).

Or would both environments actualy be completely equivalent regarding evaporation?

My brain loops whenever I try to reason it out... on one hand, it seems obvious and logical that they would be equivalent - but then it seems like there is much more actual activity going on in the first environment which would cause a "higher evaporation rate", even though they both settle at, and maintain, the same rH. The first environment has high humidity, which is constantly being reduced ( evaporated ) by the high amount of air flow/circulation/exchange.

So I went reading up on evaporation, and I was left with the same head-scratching... could someone clue me in?

--------------------

Offlineymhrswrider
Butthead

Re: Woo Hoo...Bob's first case of Pan. Cyans. is pinning. Need info from successful growers! [Re: VALIS]
    #3853136 - 03/01/05 04:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If I understand you correctly, I can answer that. We just covered that very subject in school. To simplify it way down, the partial pressure of saturated air is the cause for evaporation/condesation. If the water vapor in the air surrounding the water(standing or in a mushy) has a higher or lower PP, then evap/cond will happen. Thus, moving air over the object will only have an effect if the pp is different. The movement of air will only help if the pp is different by removing the slight stagnant "bubble" of humid air surrounding the mushies that will form with no airflow. Does that help?

--------------------

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
    #3853821 - 03/01/05 06:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Water diffuses from high concentration to low concentration.

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
    #3853900 - 03/01/05 06:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If that boundary layer is not disturbed and the humidity is to high, then the mushrooms can not breath. They will stall out and abort.

Mushrooms breath through the very cells that water is being lossed to the air.

I just found it nice that a constant drop in humidity above that which is critical to maintain integrity, can mature healthy mushrooms without any Fanning. They breath just find at humidity lower then 100% and they grow rapidly with increasingly lower humidity. I would assume temperature would do the same thing in a closed system at a constant 95% humidity, with air circulation. You raise the temps things happen faster, because the humidity has been lowered b y the effects of temps.

OfflineVALIS
 User Gallery

#3855393 - 03/02/05 01:02 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

scatmanrav and Teonan - thanks for the info, I think it helped.

It took me some time to ponder, but I got the impression that you guys were thinking the pc fan would be completely inside the environment, merely circulating air -- however the setup I'm thinking of would actualy have the fan attached - blowing (filtered) fresh air into the environment, so it would actualy be serving as fae and circulation.

Following is three scenarios -- the purpose here, being to adapt a pmp into a mostly automated system that was specifically tailored for optimal pan cyan cultivation. I get the impression that each one will increase the obviousness of my ignorance substantualy further in consecutive order. (c8=

I realize that a satisfactory amount of circulation can occur simply through fea such as by merely venting the grow chamber in the manner Teonan describes, but I'm operating under the assumed and likely flawed/ignorant idea that the more vigorous circulation and exchange of fresh air via the fan, in an environment which was consistently providing high ( 95-100% ) humidity ( say, a pmp ), carefully timed in such a manner that the rH maintained around 80-85%, would provide an ideal environment for pan cyans by keeping evaporation semi-constant throughout that 5-8 day fruiting period between flushes.

Or would it be better to carefully orchestrate the evaporation so that the rH slowly goes down in slight increments during the fruiting period? Rather than a fairly quick drop from 95-100% to 80-85% within a few hours, a more gradual decline, say a 5% drop everyday for 3-5 days, until the fruits are ready to be harvested?

Finally, I can't imagine that a timed cycle of high-to-low humidity could be beneficial - but I guess I'll ask, just for the helluvit. I was thinking a scenerio in which the environment would produce high humidity, then the fan goes on, slowly decreasing it, repeat - say, two 12 hour cycles every day ( just pulling a random figure out of my ass ), where the rH goes from 100% to 80%, everyday until the fruits mature... assuming they ever even could/would under these outlandish circumstances.

I had also considered a non light-producing heating source, but decided not to delve into that just yet - if ever.

--------------------

InvisibleEonTan
bird
 User Gallery
    #3856575 - 03/02/05 10:03 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I would just try and maintain humidity above 92% during pin formation, and below 92% and above 85% for maturation. Air exchange to remove carbon dioxide and replace O2, which will also provide the circulation. That's it!!

A casing of clean mycelium on the proper substrate at the proper moisture content combined with the above conditions will work great.

Air Exchange provides the needed air movement.

What ever you do don't mist the maturing fruits directly.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck