Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Calcium Carbonate, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineblaiseone
Stranger
grain ?s
    #3852850 - 03/01/05 05:23 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hi ppl, here's a few questions about grain. Comments and help is welcome.

* How many add limestone to their grain before sterilizing to neutralize the pH?

* How many raise the humidity during colonization?

* What is the most likely cause of grain dryness from using this process: Soak for 24hr, pressure cook 15psi for 45min, let cool and inoculate, let sit undisturbed in darkness and room temp. 3 weeks later and grain is almost completely dry, colonization is a dime sized spot at best. Is the soak method not as effective as the simmer method for retaining moisture?

Thanks to who reponds.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMushroomFriend
Vargen ska fanleva!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Druid Peak Pack.
Re: grain ?s [Re: blaiseone]
    #3852873 - 03/01/05 05:26 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

* I dont add limestone to grain be4 innoc.
* sometimes a slightly wet towel in the incubator
You only soak and not simmer can be reason that your "grain" is not hydrating enough.
Also what kinda holes do you have in the jars? At which temps do you incubate?

PC, I would double that time or at least an hour.

--------------------

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Loc: ked in a Skin Pinata
    #3852875 - 03/01/05 05:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Adding lime is always a good idea. Especially with casings, but it's important with the substrate as well.

There should not be a high relative humidity during colonization.

It shouldn't take 3 weeks to fully colonize a jar of grain. I would suggest that you simmer and drain them to achieve the correct moisture content. Magash has a wonderful tek "From Syringe to Print Using Rye".

PC for at least an hour.

Build an incubator. It sounds like temperature might be your problem.

--------------------
In the end, my friend, we will all be together again.

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: grain ?s [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #3852894 - 03/01/05 05:30 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

All I grow on is rye and I allways throw a pinch of calcium carbonate in my jars before sterilization, I use crushed calcium cabinets found at any drugstore, I dont even measure it just a pinch will do it

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Loc: ked in a Skin Pinata
Re: grain ?s [Re: djsage420]
    #3852908 - 03/01/05 05:32 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Calcium cabinets? Do you mean tablets?

--------------------
In the end, my friend, we will all be together again.

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: grain ?s [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #3852917 - 03/01/05 05:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Lol yeah tablets even

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #3852927 - 03/01/05 05:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

blaiseone said:
Hi ppl, here's a few questions about grain. Comments and help is welcome.

* How many add limestone to their grain before sterilizing to neutralize the pH?

As far as I know ...no one does this. Buffering agents are for the casing layer , grain does not need to be buffered.

* How many raise the humidity during colonization?

Colonization of what? Grain in a jar has the needed RH. A colonized casing should be kept in the90%+ RH.During formation of primodia 95%,then during cropping stage drop it to around 85-92%RH

* What is the most likely cause of grain dryness from using this process: Soak for 24hr, pressure cook 15psi for 45min, let cool and inoculate, let sit undisturbed in darkness and room temp. 3 weeks later and grain is almost completely dry, colonization is a dime sized spot at best. Is the soak method not as effective as the simmer method for retaining moisture?
If you soaked grain overnight, it should not be drying out. Do you have big ole holes for injection site? Personally I think that whole soak\simmer\drain stuff is waste of time. But I am a lazy guy with alot of luck on my side :wink:

Thanks to who reponds.

GL hope this helps , and do some more research and reading and get the basics down. Do self favor and get copy of TMC, best investment one could make IMO.
edit...somehow I messed up , my answers are in the quote in bold.

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (03/01/05 05:38 PM)

Offlineblaiseone
Stranger
Re: grain ?s [Re: tripndicular]
    #3857521 - 03/02/05 03:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Some people do add limestone before sterilizing, but who knows how many. Likewise the humidity is sometimes raised for colonization of the rye (sorry for not specifying). An excerpt from a book:

"Grain may be incubated at room temp or warmer, but the use of high humidity will increase growth. 90% is ideal and can be acheived with an aquarium heater used in a dish of water placed inside of the incubator."

Agreed, grain should not dry out after a 24hr soak. It must have something to do with the method of pressure cooking. That is the next question: if 15psi is reached at medium heat, there are 2 ways to go about getting there. If you start out with the heat on medium, the PC is on there for a while before it builds up to 15psi. Probably around 45min to 1hr before it reached 15psi, then the additional 1hr to sterilize (so almost 2hr total time of being heated). But if you use the regular way of PCing, by starting with the heat all the way to high, 15psi is reached much quicker at around 15min. Then the heat is turned down to medium to maintain 15psi and is left there for the next hour to sterilize, and this way it is heated for around 1hr 15min. So all in all, one method heats the grain for a longer time period but at a lesser heat, the other heats the grain for less time but at a higher heat. Is one of these methods more prone to drying out the grain?

Lastly, the inoculation holes would be the same size as the needle, but covered with tape the whole time. The venting holes would be 1/4".

Thx again.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Calcium Carbonate, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation