Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Mycobags, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSeril
Stranger

Loc: PNW
Problems with spores..
    #3852643 - 03/01/05 04:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Shroomy folks,

The short story is, I used to cultivate mushrooms 4 years ago, maybe even 3 years ago. I was a fanatical strain collector, and grower. Each cultivation was printed, and labled. In my error, I forgot to date them!! I believe my spore prints are roughly 4 years old, most on tinfoil. They have been stored in plastic seal bags -- sealed, inside of a toolbox, kept indoors, out of the sun, in a closet for most all of this time. No, no refrigeration of any sort.

Since then I have been saisfying my cravings by hunting wild specimens, actives and edibles. I got much satisfaction from this.. I even moved to Oregon, motivated mostly by the mushrooms. Ahh yes, but now it is time again to grow grow grow, as I have some very private places available to me within my circle. I have made over 20 spore syrnges of various strains, and inoculated rye berries again and again to no success. Nothing seems to be germinating with any speed, and those that do germinate are overtaken by competing molds before they can get a strong foothold. My cleanliness is what it has always been -- excellent. Flame sterilize, and alcohol swipes, pressure cookers, grain washing/soaking. tinfoil covers on jars, small holes in lids... incubation temperatures at 85 F, no light. etc.

I have never had any success with Rye Berries, (bought at an organic whole foods store). I'd like to have success with this medium, as it is extremely easier to spawn with. Previous I used BRF/VERM mixes for all my jars.. -- this works, but I found it hard to deal with them once colonized, breaking them up was troubblesome. Better to use grain kernals.

Anyone have any advice on colonizing RYE Berriers?
Are my spores just too old? That would be an extreme bummer, I have over 15 strains from all over the planet!!

help/advice appriciated.

--------------------
Seril,
Political language -true of all political parties- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give solidity to pure wind..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineShroomGuy86
Shroooooooooooooooom

Loc: MycVille
- [Re: Seril]
    #3852661 - 03/01/05 04:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

-

--------------------
"I put Lamborghini doors on that Es-co-lade
Low pro so low look like I'm riding on blades" - 50 Cent

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: Problems with spores.. [Re: Seril]
    #3852673 - 03/01/05 04:53 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

How long are you waiting after you make your syringes until you're innoc'ing with them???  I've heard that you should wait 12-24 hrs for the spores to rehydrate before you use them...  Anyway, GL to ya :stoned:

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Offlinedjsage420
aka DJQBNSIS
 User Gallery

Loc: Panhandle
Re: Problems with spores.. [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3852985 - 03/01/05 05:50 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Also make sure you have the right moisture level in your jars I found when using rye most recipes people have are far too little water, they say 1 cup rye 3/4 to 2/3 cup water well I use this mix 100 ml rye 120 ml water, when they come out of the PC I shake them a lot during cool down so that water is easily distributed and soaked up, rye takes some practice but once you get it down its some of the easiest stuff to use

--------------------
If you put your head to the grass, you can hear it growing

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: Problems with spores.. [Re: djsage420]
    #3853140 - 03/01/05 06:19 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yahh spores should last for years if kept dry and reasonably cool.

OfflineShroomGuy86
Shroooooooooooooooom

- [Re: XTCollection]
    #3853141 - 03/01/05 06:19 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

-

--------------------

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: Problems with spores.. [Re: ShroomGuy86]
    #3853148 - 03/01/05 06:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

also, contams will work their way into old spores. Old spores should be germinated on agar, and from there, do a strain isolation.

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Loc: ked in a Skin Pinata
Re: Problems with spores.. [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3853170 - 03/01/05 06:24 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, your spores should be just fine (and apparently are considering that you said that they germinated...slowly, albeit). Take NeedMoreSleep's advice and give them a little time to rehydrate.

--------------------
In the end, my friend, we will all be together again.

OfflineShroomGuy86
Shroooooooooooooooom

- [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #3853176 - 03/01/05 06:25 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

-

--------------------

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Loc: ked in a Skin Pinata
    #3853243 - 03/01/05 06:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

They have been stored in plastic seal bags -- sealed, inside of a toolbox, kept indoors, out of the sun, in a closet for most all of this time.

Not much risk of contamination.

--------------------
In the end, my friend, we will all be together again.

OfflineShroomGuy86
Shroooooooooooooooom

- [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #3853265 - 03/01/05 06:37 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

-

--------------------

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

#3854141 - 03/01/05 09:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

From what you know, there isnt any contamination. Dont waste any more syringes. Use what you have, and then keep your prints. If nothing goes successful with the syringes, and contams show within 2 weeks, your injecting them yourself.

4 years, when the print was made, there are bacteria that are on the paper, foil, etc. There is bacteria in the toolbox. The bacteria will in time, especially in 4 years, make there way into the print. Only the most sterile of collections will stay clean that long or longer.

Dont waste your spores, after the syringes, buy some disposable petri dishes $5 and some MEA, $10 or more, and a inoculation loop.

Sterilize and pour your agar, wait three days to see if there sterile, loop your spores and swipe.

If it contams shortly there after, then you know the prints have had bacteria make their way in. If not, then hydration was an issue. Either way, older spores tend to take time to germinate, and on agar, you can select the best of specimens for your agar to grain or cake solution.

This serves two purposes - One, the spores can take their time and germ on the agar, and have a quicker colinizing time in your jars.

If it is contamed, your wasting the spores you do have, and your time in the jars.

Common sense, my route my be a tad longer and harder, but your results will go much further.

Edited by XTCollection (03/01/05 10:00 PM)

OfflineSeril
Stranger

Re: Problems with spores.. [Re: XTCollection]
    #3854932 - 03/02/05 01:01 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ahhhh yes, I forgot to mention of course... That I let the spores hang out in their syrnges for at least TWO days before using them to inoculate. I never shake the jars after they are done pressure cooking, becuase they are just too hot... and I think that removing the lid of the PC to shake them opens up the availability for contams... but if you say i should definatly shake, then perhaps i can get around the heat with some clean oven mits.

I soak all my Rye Berries in water overnight, and then I simmer them in a cooking pot for 30 minutes before i load them into jars. I do not add any extra water into the jars, just the soaked, and simmered Rye Berries. Many Books and websites say this is an A-OK, and even preferable and sanitary way, to prepare grain.

They are germinating... but it feels like they have lost vigour. I inoculate on all sides of the jar, i make sure to shoot spore solution down the sides of each glass wall surface, 360 degreees around the jar, and even some directly into the center. Except, I only see germination right now in about 3 of my 6 jars, and only in 1 spot. the jars are 5 days in incubation, since inoculation.

seems fishy, no?

--------------------
Seril,
Political language -true of all political parties- is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give solidity to pure wind..

OfflineFluxburn
 User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA, USA
    #3855029 - 03/02/05 01:30 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I feel your pain. I have some spores and prints and they must be old, since everything I try to colonize goes so slow.

I mean I see people here or I have in previous attempts had small mycobags colonize in a week. What is with it taking 3weeks to colonize a bag? Maybe just shitty spores?

I just am getting tired of not having success at this point myself as well. I have recent spores and they even seem to not going anywhere.

How do brand new syringes not explode on substrate in a incubator? Of course these syringes are from members of this site..... maybe that is the probelm?

--------------------
ABSTRACT ART (Mine) http://nathanbelomy.com

OfflineSeril
Stranger

Re: Problems with spores.. [Re: Fluxburn]
    #3860395 - 03/03/05 12:54 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, it's rigged i tell you.

I've seen, and done myself, jars that after inoculation would be ready to spawn within 10 days.. MAX! I mean, that last jar finishes on day 10, some finish as early as day 7 (1 week). Mine tend to take 3-4 weeks now, and they never fully colonize... and usually contam during this long period!

what a bummer! I've just started a new batch, hopefully these will be good....

--------------------
Seril,

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
    #3860629 - 03/03/05 02:07 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Seril, I would recommend shaking your jars right out of the PC.  This helps in 2 ways.  It'll help by keeping the rye from clumping together so much later, and it'll help to distribute an even moisture content throughout the jar.  When you pull it outta the PC the bottom grain will be a little wet, and the top grain will look a little dry.  This way it all gets mixed up and even.  Also, it sure sounds like you're innoculating your jars with alot of spore solution, and this could lead to too wet jars, and slower colonization times.  All you need is 1-2cc's (I've had decent success w/ 1/2cc) spore solution, through one inoculation point.  Then you just shake up the jars again, and this will distribute the spores evenly throughout the jar (shaking right out of the PC helps with this part).  From there you can just wait for them to colonize, or I like to shake them again around 30% to evenly distribute the mycelium.  Just a couple suggestions, hope it works out for you man, GL :stoned:

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Mycobags, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation