Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Malt Extract

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekeepsdv8nu
Bodhidsatva
Agar
    #3851741 - 03/01/05 01:51 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

in what proportion would you add malt/agar/water to get a 1% Malt Extract Agar or 2% Malt Extract Agar etc.?
Thanx, Keepsdv8nu

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: Agar [Re: keepsdv8nu]
    #3852310 - 03/01/05 03:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

% = percent = per hundred.

1g agar in 99g H20 = 1%
2g agar in 98g H20 = 2% etc

--Aeolus

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rogue's Island, USA
Re: Agar [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #3855196 - 03/02/05 02:13 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Aeolus1369 said:
% = percent = per hundred.

1g agar in 99g H20 = 1%
2g agar in 98g H20 = 2% etc

--Aeolus

I know this is totally anal and usually wouldn't make a huge difference for agar work, but as I recall percent solutions are defined as grams of solute per 100mL total final solution, not per 100mL of raw solvent. (This is because 1g of a solid rarely has an exact volume of 1mL.)

To be totally on point one would disslove the 1g agar in say 50mL water, and then bring the total volme of solution up to 100mL with additional hot water, to generate a true 1% solution.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Visit the Psychonautical Society

Offlinechocbruce
Learned Student

Loc: ...
Re: Agar [Re: keepsdv8nu]
    #3855307 - 03/02/05 02:35 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If you don't have access to lab equipment, I'd suggest trying 2 cups water to a teaspoon of water. that will give you approximately a 1.03% solution BY VOLUME. If you wish to get ~2.06% BY VOLUME, use 2 teaspoons, or half the amount of water for a smaller batch.

1 teaspoon = 1/48 cup

This is innacurate because it is by volume, tho. If you know something's volume, you can't know its density without knowing its mass; this is why people here only use weight, which makes up for variation, although, in the case of agar, to an extent I feel that is it forgiving; a difference of 1% probably won't change a thing.

--------------------
I look for answers and present ideas, but in no way shape or form endorse, or partake in, growing, or manufacture of substances, or plants, or any specie that is illegal in your neck of the woods. I do however, tear the tags off of my mattresses. Be warned.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Agar [Re: chocbruce]
    #3855561 - 03/02/05 03:52 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

>a difference of 1% probably won't change a thing.

Not only probably, but definitely.

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Northern Europe
Re: Agar [Re: Basidiocarp]
    #3856188 - 03/02/05 09:56 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Actually he was correct. Percent is unitless, which implies that the part and the whole is of the same unit. It is also, by convention, always in mass/mass unless stated otherwise.

Perhaps you are thinking of molarity, which is defined as moles of solute per liter of solution.

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Agar [Re: Pinback]
    #3860162 - 03/03/05 12:04 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Pinback said:
Percent is unitless, which implies that the part and the whole is of the same unit. It is also, by convention, always in mass/mass unless stated otherwise.

Is it really? Perhaps I'm taking the chemist's view on things where it's usually assumed to be mass/volume, as I think I recall from orgo. I mean, when we made up a 50% NaOH solution we weighed 50g NaOH, dissolved in H2O and brought up to a final volume of 100mL. Am I totally having a brain fart on this or what?

But I do agree with Anno, as far as this agar case is concerned we're just splitting hairs, it doesn't matter. But I do want to know if it's usually assumed mass/mass or mass/volume or what, just for tee hees.

--------------------
"...if the mind is actually part of a continuum, a labyrinth that is connected not only to every other mind that exists or has existed, but to every atom, organism, and region in the vastness of space and time itself, the fact that it is able to occasionally make forays into the labyrinth and have transpersonal experiences no longer seems so strange."

Offlinedumbsnake34
Crazy Dude
    #3860507 - 03/03/05 01:28 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I am a chemist in training right now. A dimensionless quantity must be the same units over units because they must cancel. This is basic highschool chemistry and it doesn't change in grad school (or anywhere in the middle). You are probably just confused because at standard conditions (approximately room conditions) 1g of water is 1mL exactly.

As for the original question. Being off by 10% of the 1% is very tolerable while being off by even half a percent is very intolerable.

--------------------
mmmm, daydreaming

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Agar [Re: dumbsnake34]
    #3860612 - 03/03/05 02:00 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

dumbsnake34 said:
As for the original question. Being off by 10% of the 1% is very tolerable while being off by even half a percent is very intolerable.

I am not sure if I understand this correctly but basically you are saying that a 0.1% mistake is tolerable, but 0.5% is not... Correct?

If so I disagree. I have more than doubled the concentration of both agar and malt in separate experiments (4% agar, and 4.5% malt), and results were slightly hindered growth in high sugar concentrations. Agar did not seem to have any negative effect. While it was not the perfect medium, it did work as intended. If you were in a situation where you could not exactly weigh out ingredients then measuring by volume will be approximate enough.

I have grown mycelium on malt concentrations ranging from 0.5% - 4.5% and agar concentrations from 1.0% - 5.0%. When in doubt it would be best to go heavy on agar, and light on sugar... -JMHO

Too much malt did cause the growth to slow, but it was still healthy:

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Agar [Re: dumbsnake34]
    #3860701 - 03/03/05 02:21 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

dumbsnake34 said:
I am a chemist in training right now. A dimensionless quantity must be the same units over units because they must cancel. This is basic highschool chemistry and it doesn't change in grad school (or anywhere in the middle)..

No kidding it's high school chemistry snappypants. You can define percent solutions as W/W or W/V. Weight over volume is actually the most common method used, which is what I was talkng about and is what we used in the lab I worked in.

You might want to continue your chemistry training by reviewing percent solutions here . Directly from this site is an example:

1. What is the percent concentration of a solution that you made by taking 5.85 g of NaCl and diluting to 100 mL with H20?

5.85 g/100 mL = 5.85% W/V solution of NaCl

Note that one dilutes to a final volume of 100 when doing W/V. You don't dump 5.85g into 100mL H2O, or into 94.15mL H2O.

--------------------

Edited by Basidiocarp (03/03/05 01:22 PM)

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

#3875946 - 03/06/05 04:42 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Wow, I had no idea I would inadvertently set off such a flurry of debate. In my defense though (whether I'm right or wrong), allow me to prove that it makes a negligible difference.

The most volume 1 gram of agar could theoretically occupy in solution is 1 ml and the least (again theoretically) is 0 ml. This means for a 1% solution, you would add 99 and 100 ml water respectively. So at the very very most, you're off by 1 ml water in either direction which is barely 1% error margin (i.e. you get a 1.01% solution or god forbid, a 0.99%). Since this is far less than the inherent weighing errors outside of an actual laboratory, I think we're all fine regardless of your definition of "1% solution."

--Aeolus

OfflineBasidiocarp
Dr. BunsenHoneydew
Male User Gallery

Re: Agar [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #3878901 - 03/06/05 07:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think you need to defend yourself. I've already agreed with Anno ^^^^above^^^^ that in this particular agar case the difference is negligible, and the outcome would not be affected.

I simply wanted to show that W/V make-up of per cent solutions is in fact a common and widely accepted methodology that insures consistency in scientific protocol.

--------------------

Edited by Basidiocarp (03/07/05 12:08 AM)

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Northern Europe
    #3882548 - 03/07/05 02:56 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I think that this thread shows that to ensure concistency, one should also make a note of what the percent sign refers to.  :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Malt Extract

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology