Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedioze1
Satans minion inthe war onlaughter
Loc: Up a hogs ass looking for...
Sterility
    #382935 - 08/31/01 07:08 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I would like to start a thread concerning Sterility.
How sterile is too sterile and is "super" sterility good or bad.
My personal experience tells ME that only common sense sterility is necessarry, and that raising anything in a super sterile enviroment over an extended period of time will only create problems down the line.
Any comments?
Dioze1

Not all that wander are lost.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineOdd_Snail
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: omotive
Re: Sterility [Re: dioze1]
    #382937 - 08/31/01 07:12 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

i agree, i don't mist the air with lysol or any crap like that. i just wash my friggin hands and the surface i am going to use. i don't have any problems with contam.

*I said no to drugs, but they didn't listen.*
*If you are not wasted, then the day is.*

--------------------
Darlene: "Ted, I got you this new nose plug to stop you from snoring at night."
Ted: "Uh yeah, and I got you this paper bag to stop you from looking like James Brown in the Morning."
Darlene: "Oh come now, I don't look anything like James Brown."
Ted: "Hey kids, who does your mom look like in the morning?"
Kids... in unison: "James Brown!"
Darlene, "All right, thats enough... It's poison spaghetti for dinner tonight."

InvisibleDidjeridoo
Stranger

Re: Sterility [Re: Odd_Snail]
    #383056 - 08/31/01 11:32 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I think that sterility is most important during the transfers... streaking of agar plates and inoculation of spawn (if you do it the old fashion way:)) After I started 'washing' the air with Lysol (even in a glove box), contamination levels went way down. But once you have colonized substrate, you can be a lot less fastidious.

Support the FSR:smile:

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #383251 - 09/01/01 10:50 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I think if your using bulk substrates like straw or dung/compost I think super sterility is bad. Straw does better when pasteurized as opposed to sterilized. And through a few tests of my own, I've found that you don't even need to pasteurize compost, although with dung it might be a good idea.

Novelty

http://www.shroomery.org/bluethumb/

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Anonymous

Re: Sterility [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #383555 - 09/01/01 09:05 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I am extremely careful at every step of the way. Everything is sterilized. I don't ever use large trays anymore, I like small compartmentalized tray systems in rubbermaids. I don't even put all the trays in one rubbermaid. Each tray gets it's own rubbermaid top and bottom.
I think the only time you shouldn't sterilize is with Compost or straw. Sterilized straw is extremely sensitive to competitor molds.

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #383561 - 09/01/01 09:17 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I think that you should allways be very sterile. Now once my friend got too sterile and kill all of the spores from a syringe. But NO GREEN mold appeared! (HA HA) I belive the mistake might of been flameing the needle way too long.
This is how one can tell when they get a containamated syringe. When your so sterile that you nearly kill all of the spores and THEN you get a sringe that produces green mold within 48 hours within the spots of onoculations you KNOW it's the vender and no one else.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

InvisibleInsomnia
addict
Re: Sterility [Re: Jammer]
    #383588 - 09/01/01 09:58 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I've had excellent luck without gloveboxes or flow hoods, and that includes taking prints and making syringes... I just spray the air with an anti-bacterial disinfectant, sit still, let everything settle, wipe up, and keep clean tools.

No need to go nuts with "super sterilization." I think it can lead to problems.

Just my two cents.

I choked Linda Lovelace!

--------------------
"If you believe in things you do not understand, you will suffer." ? Stevie Wonder

OfflineMordor
cyborg savage

Loc: North
    #383679 - 09/02/01 12:04 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Get this. For making syringes I throw a cap into a ziploc bag, wait a few hours for spores to drop. Boil a kettle of water and pour in a cup. Draw water into unsterilized syringes and throw in freezer for 10 mins to cool. Poke hole in ziploc and fill with a bunch of syringes. Draw spore water out with same syringes and innoculate. No contams after 40 syringes! A little lax on the rest of sterilization also. Just do pretty much what you guys are doing. Common sense sterilization seems to work fine for me.

It's life. The dark that binds you. - InFlames.

--------------------
It's life. The dark that binds you. - InFlames.

Offlinesylo
addict
Re: Sterility [Re: Mordor]
    #383697 - 09/02/01 12:38 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Flaming the needle is too sterile. The heat kills some of the spores so you are inoculating with fewer spores. It also slows inoculating time when working quickly is important. A quick wipe on the outside of the needle with an alcohol swab when you go from one jar to the next is all the sterilization you need and even that is probably unnecessary.

Offlineuniboner
Loc: TO
Re: Sterility [Re: sylo]
    #383718 - 09/02/01 01:26 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know about that.
I have found that initially, an obsessive-compulsive attitude towards sterility is important, and it has done me well thus far. I PC the syringes wrapped in tinfoil and in bottled h2o for 30mins@10psi, move to glovebox and use the same water to fill the syringes.When innoculating, I flame the needle once, then as you do, i use alcohol swabs between jars and I firmly think that is needed.
Once everything is cased, I find sterility is still important, but as common sense sterility, not obsessive-compulsive sterility that is..heh.
As I said, this has served me well thus far.

peace,
uniboner

Without nipples, breasts would be pointless...

--------------------
sleep is for the weak.

Offlinedioze1
Satans minion inthe war onlaughter
Loc: Up a hogs ass looking for...
Re: Sterility [Re: uniboner]
    #383831 - 09/02/01 07:36 AM (22 years, 7 months ago)

This is good!! I like the input. I feel that if one is too sterile over the course of time one will wind up with strains that are too sensitive and ultimately become VERY suspect to contams. I actually had this happen with a very hardy strain of the Cambodians. I feel a little competition from molds and bacterias and other competitors is actually healthy for a strain. This is how it is done in nature-- noone is preasure cooking jars and antiseptically handling the cultivation in nature, it is how strains become tougher and and evolve to the next level to keep competing in their niches.
This 'tough love" has helped me to have some VERY resistant strains.
Dioze1

--------------------

InvisibleMy Third Eye
old hand

Folding@home Statistics
    #384107 - 09/02/01 05:49 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

ive actually had more problems with contams after trying to be overly sterile..i think it had more to do with the summer time spore load but i still thought it was rather odd...thats an awesome way of looking at it though dioze..i suppose it would toughin the strain up being exposed to some contams..just like how the common cold virus is constantly getting stronger.

The light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us so
We cannot see to reach an end crippling our communication

--------------------
suddenly a flaming stealth banana split the sky
like one would hope but never really expect
to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime
and stopping right at my Birkenstocks,
and me yelping...Holy fucking shit!

InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Deleted [Re: My Third Eye]
    #384807 - 09/03/01 05:30 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

Content Removed.

Edited by Jared (04/01/04 01:11 AM)

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
Re: Sterility [Re: Jared]
    #384882 - 09/03/01 06:46 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

From what I've seen its best to just not take meds at all. When you ride out a cold or the flu instead of taking a butt load (sometimes literally) of medication your immune system is all the better for it. Then next year you will be able to fight of the cold even quicker or not even get it. I've read that people that shelter their young children from "dirty" things and sickness end up having children that grow up and have really poor immune systems that land them in the hospital constantly, as opposed to children that grow up in rat infested slums that grow up and hardly ever get sick. That is if the rats don't get 'em first.

Dr Bluethumb

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Invisiblefuzzysquirelnuts
veteran
Loc: souhwest us
Re: Sterility [Re: jonnyshaggs420]
    #384893 - 09/03/01 06:57 PM (22 years, 7 months ago)

yes i feel its extremely important to be the least sterile as possible like whenever i wipe my ass with my hands and then innoculate my jars via sporeprint i always and up with very fast colonizartion and it really helps to not wash your hands or pressure cook either

i can believe its not butter but why would you do that
http://go.to/freesporering

--------------------
were all retarded sometimes

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures