Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineskuwiff
Stranger
Loc: New Holland
Overlaid casings - pls help!
    #3847246 - 02/28/05 03:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I have two medium sized casings that have caught themselves a case of overlay. Somehow light go into the sides and bottom of the casing tray and my mushrooms decided to pin and fruit from the sides (I'm guessing this is the reason for the side/ bottom pinning)

I took the casings out of their trays to allow them to fruit properly, but i am now left with an overlaid casing. What should i do? Re-case? Dunk and roll? I'm hesitant to re-case as I have a not- so-positive track record when it comes to casing (evil cobweb!)

Pls help!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: Overlaid casings - pls help! [Re: skuwiff]
    #3847276 - 02/28/05 03:07 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

is it a thick mat of hard mycellium on ur casing, or just thick mycellium? i've noticed there's a large misconception about what overlay really is on this site... a pic would really help.... as far as pinning on the sides, what type of container are you using? if its plastic (even if its a solid color, and not clear) you should wrap them in alum. foil to prevent light from entering thus inducing side-pinning...

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

Offlineskuwiff
Stranger
Re: Overlaid casings - pls help! [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3847309 - 02/28/05 03:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It isn't a thick matt of mycelium, just a COMPLETELY colonized cake (ie thick mycelium). I did wrap the sides of my casing container in duct tape but it seems that was not sufficient (I'll be using a foil container next time)

I'll try to get a pic tonight, thanks

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep

#3847333 - 02/28/05 03:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ok, then you don't have overlay... yet... you definately wanna get those suckers into fruiting conditions ASAP though... what are you're current temps/rh/light cycles??? also what strain? some are extremely fast colonizers...

--------------------

-Boondock Saints

Offlineskuwiff
Stranger
Re: Overlaid casings - pls help! [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3847404 - 02/28/05 03:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

One is Hawain and the other is Golden Teacher

They have been the fruiting chamber for the past 2.5 weeks, 22 degrees c, 12 hrs light/ off (with a blue specturm fluro and a single reg fluro tube, hyrdotron (expanded clay pelets) bottom, covered with water and aquarium air bubbler working underneath (approx 2-2.5 air exchanges an hour), faning and misting 2-4 times a day (they are seeming to need it)

Casing made with Coir coir, is a ph buffer THAT much of an issue? (possible cause of this poor/ odd growth?)
Thanks again

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep

#3847485 - 02/28/05 03:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i haven't worked with hawaiin yet, but GTs have proven to be pretty fast and fluffy colonizers for me.  heres a pic of a GT casing 5 days after casing:

your conditions sound like they're pretty good.  71.6 F (i'm in the US :stoned: ) is ok, but if you can get it up a few degrees to about 75 that'd be better... fanning and misting sound ok, but make sure you're not misting too much, and not fanning too much.  opening the lid to you're terrarium up and down once or twice is sufficient.  any more and it'll help dry out the casing a little, which could explain why you're having to mist so much.  check out this writeup by Hyphae about moisture content, very very very informative...  As far as the pH buffer, its not going to effect what you're going through right now, it helps to balance the pH when a flush comes through, and'll help with subsequent flushes...

--------------------

-Boondock Saints

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix