Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleveggie

GW to take cannabis painkiller to America
    #3846493 - 02/28/05 02:06 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

GW to take cannabis painkiller to America
February 28, 2005
timesonline.co.uk

Shares in GW Pharmaceuticals have soared by 5 per cent after the company received the backing of American investors for a quest to take its cannabis-based painkiller to the US market.

GW, which is close to winning approval for the drug, Sativex, in Canada, said that it had assembled a team of medical and regulatory consultants to pursue the product?s licensing in America.

"The US is the world?s most significant pharmaceutical market," Dr Geoffrey Guy, the GW chairman, said.

"Over the last few years, GW has been working to build a support base in the US and we are excited about the prospects of working alongside a range of experts to assist our efforts."

The team included Apjohn Group, a Michigan-based pharmaceuticals consultancy, and unnamed "key medical opinion leaders", said GW, trailing an application for Sativex to the US Food and Drug Administration.

"The company considers that the breadth of data now available will enable initiation of discussions with the FDA," GW said.

The move had prompted a group of key American investors to invest a further ?2.5 million in GW, increasing their stake from 7.8 per cent to 9.6 per cent. The investment, to be spent largely on US operations, would be achieved through the issue of 2.0 million shares.

"We are delighted that our plans have met with such a positive response," Dr Guy said.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledblaney
Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
Re: GW to take cannabis painkiller to America [Re: veggie]
    #3846932 - 02/28/05 03:35 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I believe I've seen several polls now indicating that the majority or near majority of Americans support legalizing medical marijuana. For that matter, a large number of states have medical marijuana laws. It's just the federal government that is hardheaded and damn obstinate and probably will take years of arguing before it agrees to legalize medical marijuana. I mean just look at the scheduling system. Marijuana is more illegal (Sched. 1) than heroin (sched. 2), does anyone else find that just a little bizarre and twisted?

--------------------
"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
But makes for the heaviest sword"
- John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

Invisibleveggie

Re: GW to take cannabis painkiller to America [Re: dblaney]
    #3848898 - 02/28/05 09:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

If it was the 1999 Gallup poll to which you are referring, 73% of Americans were in favor of legalizing medical marijuana. I agree with you the Federal government is not going to change the status of marijuana anytime soon.

Marijuana is a Schedule I drug, meaning it does not have "accepted medical use in treatment". Ironically, the US governement is currently providing marijuana legally to 8 patients under the Compassionate IND program.

By the way, heroin is also Schedule I, as is LSD, Psilocybin, and MDMA.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
Re: GW to take cannabis painkiller to America [Re: veggie]
    #3851764 - 03/01/05 01:55 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Methamphetamine is schedule II, though.

--------------------
delta9

Offlineguri
Master of theimprobablitydrive

Loc: PNWish.
Re: GW to take cannabis painkiller to America [Re: delta9]
    #3855506 - 03/02/05 03:32 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

cocaine is schedule 2 as well. apperently it still has an accepted and used form of medicinal value.

--------------------
"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? The Beatles were so fucking high, they let Ringo sing a few songs." --Bill Hicks

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: GW to take cannabis painkiller to America [Re: guri]
    #3860107 - 03/02/05 11:51 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Can't forget about good ol' PCP; that's schedule II also.

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service