Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Pro-Syrian Contingent in Lebanese Government Resigns
    #3846400 - 02/28/05 11:48 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/02/28/lebanon.protests/index.html

Lebanon's pro-Syrian PM resigns

Monday, February 28, 2005 Posted: 1:42 PM EST (1842 GMT)

BEIRUT, Lebanon (CNN) -- The Lebanese government abruptly resigned Monday during a stormy parliamentary debate, prompting a tremendous roar from tens of thousands of anti-government protesters in Beirut's Martyrs Square.

The demonstrators, awash in a sea of red, white and green Lebanese flags, had demanded the pro-Syrian government's resignation -- and the withdrawal of Syrian troops from Lebanon -- since the assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri two weeks ago.

Prime Minister Omar Karami resigned in a speech carried live to the square by the Lebanese Broadcasting Corporation.

Lebanon's President Emile Lahoud accepted the resignation of the and asked it to continue in a caretaker capacity, Reuters reported.

The presidential office, which annonced the acceptance in a statement, did not say when Lahoud would start consulting parliamentary deputies to chose a successor to Karami.

Meanwhile, a Lebanese opposition figure called for popular protests in Beirut to continue until Syria leaves.

"The battle is long, and this is the first step, this is the battle for freedom, sovereignty and independence," Ghattas Khouri told a cheering protest in central Beirut, according to Reuters.

The opposition has raised its rhetoric in recent days, taking its cue from international pressure -- led by the U.S. and France -- to force Syrian troops from Lebanon following Hariri's killing.

In his speech, Karami said he would have won a no-confidence vote scheduled for later in the day, but was resigning to avoid making his government a stumbling block to peace.

Earlier Monday, demonstrators defied a ban and poured into Beirut's city center Monday to protest against Syria's military presence in Lebanon.

"We are asking for Syrian withdrawal," said opposition leader Camille Chamoun of the National Liberation Party, which has helped orchestrate numerous protests in recent days.

"The Syrian occupation forces and their security systems have to go back to Syria.

"We don't want anything against the Syrian people," said Chamoun, whose grandfather, also named Camille Chamoun, was president of Lebanon from 1952-58.

"We are not a nation that likes war. We just want everybody to be on his own side."

An estimated 50,000 people gathered Monday in Beirut's Martyr Square despite an order a day earlier by Lebanon's Interior Ministry for military forces to "use all necessary means" to make sure the demonstrations did not take place.

CNN's Brent Sadler described Monday's protests as non-confrontational.

"There is a standoff that is not in any way tense," he reported. "It is a mild-mannered ... standoff. The army and the police ... have ringed off a very large area in downtown Beirut."

The demonstrations have focused on whether Syria played a role in Hariri's death on February 14.

Since then, thousands of demonstrators have peacefully protested Syria's military presence in Lebanon.

"The free world is really helping Lebanon restore its sovereignty," Chamoun said. "I imagine there is quite a bit of pressure on Syria to leave. I hope they leave in a peaceful way."

Chamoun accused the Lebanese government of taking orders from Syria.

"They have taken over our parliament with making bad elections three times consecutively," he said. "They have taken over power in Lebanon. The people in government in this country are their allies and obey unconditionally any orders from Damascus."
'Schedule to withdraw'

Syria has denied meddling in Lebanese affairs, and the Lebanese government has denied following Syria's lead.

Syrian Cabinet Minister Bouthaina Shaaban denied Sunday that Syria was involved in Hariri's death, despite the U.S. State Department's contention that Syria is a state sponsor of terrorism and that Islamic Jihad, Hamas and Hezbollah operate with Syrian support.

"Syria has never carried out a terrorist attack against anyone," she told CNN's "Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer."

Asked whether Syria was prepared to withdraw its forces from Lebanon, Shaaban said, "Syria has been redeploying its forces from Lebanon long before anybody in the international community asked Syria to do that."

Asked when that "redeployment" might be finalized, she said only that the two countries have "a schedule for the forces to withdraw" but not what that schedule stipulated.

U.S. Senator Arlen Specter, a Republican from Pennsylvania, was not impressed.

"I thought those responses were weak," he told CNN. "When she talks about redeployment, it's an excuse for 'no withdrawal.' We know that Syria has housed the terrorists in Damascus for decades."

He added: "I think Syria is in deep trouble, unless they make big changes, and right away."

Specter said the country could face "more sanctions" under the Syrian Accountability Act.

A U.N. team set up to investigate the assassination of Hariri is at work in Beirut.

Syria keeps thousands of troops in Lebanon, left over from their larger deployment after the 1975-90 Lebanese civil war.

U.S. President George W. Bush said this month that Syria was "out of step" with other nations in the Middle East and said the United States would work with other countries to pressure Damascus to remove its troops from Lebanon.

U.S. Assistant Secretary of State William Burns met this month with Lebanese Foreign Minister Mahmoud Hammoud, demanding that Syria immediately comply with U.N. Resolution 1559, calling for withdrawal of some 13,000 Syrian troops stationed in Lebanon.

Syria's Shaaban also dismissed a report that Syria and Iran -- which the United States accuses of harboring a nuclear weapons program -- have created a common front against the United States.

Shaaban said the story stemmed from Syria's prime minister, who said in Arabic that "cooperation existed between Syria and Iran for years and will continue to exist."

But that comment was translated poorly into English, said Shaaban, who added that she worked for 10 years as an interpreter and "laughed" when she heard the translation.

"He was not speaking about a military pact," she said.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Pro-Syrian Contingent in Lebanese Government Resigns [Re: afoaf]
    #3846445 - 02/28/05 11:57 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This whole situation just might get a little violent in the coming months and years.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: Pro-Syrian Contingent in Lebanese Government Resigns [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3846452 - 02/28/05 11:58 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

if anything, the withdrawal of Syrian influence from Lebanon will
help curb the violence.

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3846900 - 02/28/05 01:27 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
This whole situation just might get a little violent in the coming months and years.

This is a geopolitical situation that has little to do with the world stage at the moment. The Lebanese government did not want people to protest. The people did protest. They took freedom into their own hands. This is a good thing, remember Randall? These days with Arabs and Muslims its damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm quite proud of the Lebanese people who took part in this massive act of civil disobedience. Gandhi would be proud.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Pro-Syrian Contingent in Lebanese Government Resigns [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3846913 - 02/28/05 01:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The people did protest. They took freedom into their own hands. This is a good thing, remember Randall?

Yes, it is.

What do you want to bet that U.S. policy-makers are salivating over the fact that Syria is taking some shit now? What do you want to bet that some American covert funding and prodding is pushing this anti-Syria feeling along?

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

#3847176 - 02/28/05 02:35 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

That's the trouble. I believe the U.S. was behind Rafik Hariri's killing.

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3847189 - 02/28/05 02:39 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Damn it all. Freedom and liberty seem to be spreading. I blame Haliburton and the smirking chimp.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#3847281 - 02/28/05 03:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

you make it sound like Lebanon loves being bullied and manipulated by Syria.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Re: Pro-Syrian Contingent in Lebanese Government Resigns [Re: afoaf]
    #3847299 - 02/28/05 03:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

you make it sound like Lebanon loves being bullied and manipulated by Syria.

I didn't say that. I just said I wouldn't be surprised if various U.S. intelligence agencies have a hand in fomenting some of this anti-Syria feeling.

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

#3847651 - 02/28/05 04:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I doubt it. The U.S. doesn't spearhead this shit.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#3847655 - 02/28/05 04:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

maybe, but a little anti-syrian intent never hurt anyone.

if the jews and palestinians can simma down, the syrians
are the next biggest threat to quell in the region.

...oh won't you please take me hooooooooome!

--------------------

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: Pro-Syrian Contingent in Lebanese Government Resigns [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3848003 - 02/28/05 05:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

JesusChrist said:
Damn it all. Freedom and liberty seem to be spreading. I blame Haliburton and the smirking chimp.

great news! (bush's fault)

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Pro-Syrian Contingent in Lebanese Government Resigns [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3848344 - 02/28/05 06:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

zahudulallah said:
I doubt it. The U.S. doesn't spearhead this shit.

And 3 posts up you say you believe that the US assassinated Harriri. Are you well?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order