Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineMeatSpace
Waxer of unicorn butthole
 User Gallery

Loc: Deep inside your ass
Books...
    #3846262 - 02/28/05 11:07 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

I need a good book. Open my eyes to a good book!
I don't read all too often, but I want nothing else right now.
Post any suggestions for me

I liked:

Wicked
Helter Skelter
The Da Vinci Code

I appreciate your help!

--------------------
:crankey:
/    l    \__:thumbup: ... Hi, I'm Crankey, and I approve this message.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Books... *DELETED* [Re: MeatSpace]
    #3846293 - 02/28/05 11:18 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Post deleted by PsiloPsychic

Reason for deletion: .

OfflineMeatSpace
 User Gallery

Re: Books... [Re: ]
    #3846721 - 02/28/05 12:50 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Thank you much, I have heard good things of it.

--------------------

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

Re: Books... [Re: MeatSpace]
    #3846813 - 02/28/05 01:08 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

The Master and Margarita
by Mikhail Bulgakov

Look inside this book
Quote:

An audacious revision of the stories of Faust and Pontius Pilate, The Master and Margarita is recognized as one of the essential classics of modern Russian literature. The novel's vision of Soviet life in the 1930s is so ferociously accurate that it could not be published during its author's lifetime and appeared only in a censored edition in the 1960's. Its truths are so enduring that its language has become part of the common Russian speech.

One hot spring, the devil arrives in Moscow, accompanied by a retinue that includes a beautiful naked witch and an immense talking black cat with a fondness for chess and vodka. The visitors quickly wreak havoc in a city that refuses to believe in either God or Satan. But they also bring peace to two unhappy Muscovites: one is the Master, a writer pilloried for daring to write a novel about Christ and Pontius Pilate; the other is Margarita, who loves the Master so deeply that she is willing literally to go to hell for him. What ensues is a novel of inexhaustible energy, humor, and philosophical depth.

I seriously believe Bulgakov got possessed or something and therefore wrote The Master and Margarita as it is of pure genius. He worked on it for 12 whole years, and the last changes for it he dictated to his wife in his final weeks, as he lay dying of nephrosclerosis. The Master and Margarita is a dazzling Gogolesque fantasy. Witty and ribald, and at the same time a penetrating philosophical novel wrestling with profound and eternal problems of good and evil. I can make no examples of the unique way how Bulgakov incorporates the mundane within the divine, and the divine within the mundane. It supposedly complies to a genre called magic realism and personally I keep it right between Carroll's Alice books and Goethe's Faust in my bookshelf :smile:

The Master and Margarita was banned until 1966-67 when it was published in an egregiously censored form (first unexpurgated release was only in 1973), but till then it travelled secretly hand to hand as so called samizdat (clandestinely printed and distributed editions). I haven't read the english translation myself and I'm very concerned about what it's like, because of the style in which the book is written, some things just may not make it into another language (I praise God I have studied Russian). Anyway, I think it's really f#&*!%g hilarious and everyone should read it at least once. And don't let the Russian person's and geographic names confuse You. And I really do recommend checking out Middlebury College The Master and Margarita site, a lot of in-depth analysis and background information.

Here are some "screenshots" (artist Charlie Stone's vision) :wink:

And Mikhail Bulgakov himself:

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Books... *DELETED* [Re: ivi]
    #3847094 - 02/28/05 02:16 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Post deleted by PsiloPsychic

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinefreddurgan
Techgnostic
Male

Re: Books... [Re: ]
    #3847348 - 02/28/05 03:19 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Cosmic Banditos!

Best book ever. About a guy and his mexican friends that do alot of drugs and blow shit up and talk about quantum physics. I loved it, and it's an easy read too.

--------------------
Ishmael
http://www.ishmael.org

Ron Paul 2008!
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Books... [Re: freddurgan]
    #3847522 - 02/28/05 03:51 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

The Dark Tower by Steven King.

Our generations Lord of the Rings. Its a seven book long, magnum opus, that ties around 20 of his other books together. The best part is the main characters is pretty much Clint Eastwood in TG,TB,&TU. Its set in a alternate earth far in the future, and he's a gunslinger, like a knight, but instead of a sword he carries two big ass revolvers. Plus its crazy as shit, for example; dog sized lobsters, 70ft bears, evil witches, magic doorways, I could go on but I dont want to give anything away. If you like LotR, or steven king, or even a good western, you'll probrobly enjoy this book. Peace

blaze2

oh yea the titles are

The Gunslinger
The Drawing of the Three
The Wastelands
Witch and glass
Wolves of the Calla
Song of Susannah
The Dark Tower.

Edit:Oh yea the picture in my avatar is a pencil drawing i did of how I see Roland, the main character.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Edited by blaze2 (02/28/05 03:56 PM)

OfflineMeatSpace
 User Gallery

Re: Books... [Re: ivi]
    #3847880 - 02/28/05 04:50 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

That sounds very interesting!

5 for you!

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3848080 - 02/28/05 05:31 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

If i had to nominate any book, that is an overall great read...

Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates

.... By Tom Robbins

It is about an anarchist CIA agent who goes to south america and does a bunch of ayuhuasca with a shaman that has a pyramid shaped head, gets a curse put on him, so he spends the rest of the book in a wheelchair, scared to touch the ground. Incredibly funny and the opening few chapters have some eloquent poems about pumpkins while under the influence of XTC

OfflineMeatSpace
 User Gallery

Re: Books... [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #3848146 - 02/28/05 05:38 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

I'm not getting into Tom Robbins very easily.

But he is obviously a great author.

--------------------

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
    #3848450 - 02/28/05 06:35 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Well, i really dont mean this to be offensive, but you do need a bigger than average lexicon to really get his true genius. For some reason he likes the word ennui a lot.

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#3851318 - 03/01/05 10:07 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

Edited by ivi (03/01/05 01:45 PM)

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Books... [Re: ivi]
    #3851667 - 03/01/05 11:30 AM (19 years, 22 days ago)

Stranger In A Strange Land, by Robert A Heinlien.

be sure to get his original version, as one was released uncut by his widowed wife, and it is 10 time better than the "original" cause its actually the original.

my favorite book ever.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Offlinenonoman
ambassador
Male User Gallery

Loc: the wood
    #3851923 - 03/01/05 12:27 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

Budding Prospects by T Coraghessan Boyle - similar but superior to the movie "Homegrown".

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams - I hear they're planning to make a movie of this, read it while it's still cool.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Books... [Re: nonoman]
    #3853926 - 03/01/05 06:52 PM (19 years, 22 days ago)

"A Confederacy of Dunces" by William Kennedy Toole. Pulitzer Prize, big and is the funniest thing I have ever read. Championship book and I have read a lot in my 40+ years of literacy.

--------------------

Invisibleivi
 User Gallery

#3855129 - 03/01/05 11:57 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

--------------------

Offlineeggmondo
Stranger
    #3896610 - 03/10/05 05:41 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

i would highly recommend ishmael by daniel quinn if you enjoy read the follow up books my ishmael, the story of B, you will not be dissappointed, may change you for ever may not you'll never know till you read them

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #3896983 - 03/10/05 09:28 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

Here are some of my recent favorites:

The Debt to Pleasure - John Lanchester
Mr. Phillips - John Lanchester
Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut
Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut

The Debt to Pleasure is without a doubt my favorite book.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflinePoopShooter
Escape Artist

Loc: PNW
Re: Books... [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #3998065 - 03/31/05 10:47 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

This is a bit of an old thread, but I want to bring it back and list a few of my own favorites.

Watership Down-Richard Adams: This is an awesome book about rabbits, adventure and war. Don't let the fact that it's about rabbits turn you away.

Siddhartha-Herman Hesse: Just read it. It's about 100 pages, very easy read, and just a great book over all.

Atlas Shrugged-Ayn Rand: Discusses the philosphy of objectivism. Very interesting read, but not an easy one, especially for the first 100 pages. The pay off of reading the whole things is great though. Highly recommended for those who can stomach it.

I may post more in a day or two, we'll see if I can find the time.

InvisibleAnubis
Time Traveller
 User Gallery

Loc: Durango, Colorado Flag
Re: Books... [Re: PoopShooter]
    #3998242 - 03/31/05 11:30 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers is a very good read. lots of twists.

--------------------
"Always pull up survey stakes, anywhere you find them. Anywhere."
-- Edward Abbey

Home Sweet Home: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs316.snc4/41134_1575150945077_1424696117_31559183_3782033_n.jpg

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
Re: Books... [Re: Anubis]
    #3999279 - 04/01/05 08:50 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

My personal favorite is still 1984 by George Orwell.

--------------------

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: Books... [Re: Cloud9]
    #3999517 - 04/01/05 09:49 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Bulgokov is ace, but stephen king s-u-c-k-s. Maybe his older stuff was good.

read *crime and punishment* before you read anything else. make sure you get the latest penguin translation though, its the best. Same goes for Margarita.

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Books... [Re: Doom]
    #4000696 - 04/01/05 01:45 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

King doesnt suck man your just one of the snobby assholes that believe that if its popular is not good enough. Its not all about the language man The best books are ones that have a great story, but if you find one that has a great story and great language you should treasure it. The Dark Tower books by Stephen King are one of those books with great language and an original and amazing story, and thats why I reccommend them to people.

But I think if you really wanted to give a go at a King book Mr. DOOM you should try "hearts in atlantis". I would have to say its kings best pure writing. He makes things that should be boring or just space fillers interesting. And its one of the few books I've read that have made me laugh out loud, and cry. Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePoopShooter
Escape Artist

Loc: PNW
Re: Books... [Re: blaze2]
    #4002086 - 04/01/05 07:10 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I really, truly, honestly don't like Stephen King either. I'm not just saying that like some sort of snobby asshole, and I doubt that the other guy was either. YOUR reaction however, seemed to be kneejerk. I'm giving it another try this weekend though. I've got an 18 hour drive ahead of me and plan on listening to The Gunslinger on my way down. Hopefully I can break through to the point of understanding this man's greatness. We'll see, but this will be my last go at it.

While we're at it, like I said, I'm taking a pretty long drive this weekend, and one just as long the next, and I'd like to get a few audio books. Any suggestions? I've got The Gunslinger, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, but am looking for one or maybe two more. So, if there are any must reads that happen to be on audio books, let me know.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: Books... [Re: PoopShooter]
    #4002104 - 04/01/05 07:14 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I never liked stephan king until i read "The Dark Half". Thats a fucked up book.

Invisibletrick

Loc: unknown
Re: Books... [Re: Cloud9]
    #4003741 - 04/02/05 03:06 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Cloud9 said:
My personal favorite is still 1984 by George Orwell.

Good choice. Very compelling reading, especially for current times.

I suggest The Culture of Makebelieve by Derrick Jensen. Jensen is a great writer and he intertwines alot of information in this. I seriously felt changed by this book. It gave me a new perspective on civilization & culture. This suggestion comes from the bottom of my heart. I'm a member of Derrick's discussion group and I can rightfully say he's a nice guy.

one review:

From Publishers Weekly
Writing with the same driven passion and intense intelligence as his critically acclaimed A Language Older Than Words, which examined the interconnections between personal and social violence, Jensen says this book "is more about racism and far more broadly hate as it manifests itself in our Western world." As in the earlier work, Jensen paints on a huge canvas he details American racism from the genocidal slave trade through lynchings to the 2000 murder of Amadou Diallo by NYC police, and covers a wide range of other cultural horrors as well: the massacres of Native American people, the Holocaust, the 8,000 deaths from the 1984 Union Carbide gas leak in India, and the deaths of 500,000 children in Iraq. The book is packed full of startling details South African apartheid laws were enacted at the direct request of the De Beers diamond company to facilitate business; aspects of Christian doctrine supported slavery until about 100 years ago. But the uniqueness and enormous power of Jensen's work is his ability to forge these events into an emotionally compelling and devastating critique of the intellectual, psychological, emotional and social structures of Western culture. Along with greed and globalization he says that the valuing of production over life and the abstract over the particular have set Western culture on a course that will end "really, with the end of the planet." While some readers might take umbrage at his more unsettling associations he compares Hitler's political language to Teddy Roosevelt's Jensen's intricate weaving together of history, philosophy, environmentalism, economics, literature and psychology has produced a powerful argument that demands attention in the tradition of such important books as Herbert Marcuse's Eros and Civilization and Brigid Brophy's Black Ship to Hell.

amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/det...ks&n=507846

chelsea green publishing:

http://www.chelseagreen.com/2004/items/cultureofmakebelieve

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Books... [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4004509 - 04/02/05 10:43 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

The Healing Journey by Claudio naranjo.

This book covers the first and original research into the therapeutic values of MDA, MMDA, Ibogaine and Harmala and Harmine. A great book by researcher from Chili. Now rare and out of print and hard to find.

Also:

The Ghost Dance: The Origins of Religion by Weston La Barre, author of the Peyote Cult.

This book is about primitive man's discovery amongs food-hunter gatherers of hallucinogenic mind-altering plants which may or may not have led primitive societies to come to terms with deity and the idea of deity.

Two excellent books.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (04/02/05 10:45 AM)

Offlinereefercactushead
Ask. Why.Confusion.

Loc: PA
Re: Books... [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4973695 - 11/23/05 07:25 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

TERENCE MCKENNA

--------------------
Know.

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
    #4973865 - 11/23/05 08:12 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Justine and Philosophy in the Bedroom by the Marquis De Sade

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

Re: Books... [Re: it stars saddam]
    #4974176 - 11/23/05 09:26 PM (18 years, 3 months ago)

The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Shea & Robert Anton Wilson
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey
The Book of the Subgenius by Rev Ivan Stang
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
The Stranger by Albert Camus
120 Days in Sodom & Other Writings by Marquis de Sade
A Collection of Essays by George Orwell
Short Stories of Ernest Hemmingway
The Surrealist Manifesto by Andre Breton

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Re: Books... [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #4975383 - 11/24/05 06:31 AM (18 years, 3 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom