Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemrlucretius
Stranger

Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller?
    #3844453 - 02/27/05 10:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hello,

I was looking for a temperature / humidity controller that was low priced and suitable for mushroom growing applications. Anyways, I ended up building my own, and am looking into either mass producing it, or at least sharing with the community directions as to how to build your own. If you might take a look at my original post on the regular forum (click here) then you might help me to decide whether or not this is a good idea and also help me to refine the design so that this might be usefull for a larger group of the community.

Here is a picture of the prototype, I am holding the wired sensor above the box:

So, if you can check it out, and let me know what you think, I would appreciate it.

http://www.rettc.com/projects.php is a quick writeup I did about this project so far. Please do not think of this as a solicitation, but only as a request for comments.

Also, if you check out the first link, there is a poll there that will provide some helpful feedback aside from any comments you might make here on this thread.

Thanks,
Alex Martin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller? [Re: mrlucretius]
    #3845621 - 02/28/05 06:53 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

if it could be had at around the same price of a descent hygrometer, i supposed there would be demand. There are simliar devices out there now but their prices are hefty

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller? [Re: Ramlaen]
    #3846164 - 02/28/05 10:37 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You aren't going to find much demand in this forum. Most people here can get by with what is stock in the superdepartment store. Probably the only demand would be from those growing more difficult psilocybian species like woodlovers or Pans.
Your highest demand would come from the Gourmet forum.

That being said, I am very interested in this.
I would like to talk to you about adding more I/O to your device to control air exchange, etc.
Possibly also have the ability to control temperature in several ways depending upon the outside air environment.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller? [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3846366 - 02/28/05 11:39 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Follow the link below and scroll down to "pre-wired humidistat" for what I use. It works like a charm. They also have fan speed controllers and cycle timers that are of use to our community.
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls2.shtml

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineflow
outlaw immortal
Re: Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3847387 - 02/28/05 03:24 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i think there would be interest in a humidity controller that was of a decent price and worked in the 80-100% range. most on the market now are for plants not mushrooms and work in the 20-80% range. i don't know how many people would really care about temp control, because incubators are easy to control, and most people don't have to heat or cool their grow chambers.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller? [Re: flow]
    #3847472 - 02/28/05 03:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yea you could ditch the temp control and go for more like air exchange, and make sure the humidty can read really high accuratly then people will pay the price tag

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller? [Re: Ramlaen]
    #3848011 - 02/28/05 05:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The humidistat linked to above reads 80% on the dial, but in practice, if I crank it wide open, it cycles on and off at 85%. This makes it perfect for casings, but for cakes where you need higher, it won't cut it.

The cycle timer on the same page is the best I've seen. It can be set for whatever on/off cycle you require if 85% isn't enough.

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #3848895 - 02/28/05 07:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Nice link RR.

I only saw models for 20% - 80% humidity.

A specialized mycology humidistat designed to function most precicely in the 80% - 100% range would be friggin' sweet.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineTinTree
thread killer(semi pro)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mu
    #3849345 - 02/28/05 09:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yes. Quite interested. Please share.

--------------------
"I'm afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness only thrives in the dark. Like celery."
- Aldous Huxley

Offlinechocbruce
Learned Student

Loc: ...
Re: Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller? [Re: TinTree]
    #3849406 - 02/28/05 10:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you were to go into building these, what kind of price tag would they carry?

--------------------
I look for answers and present ideas, but in no way shape or form endorse, or partake in, growing, or manufacture of substances, or plants, or any specie that is illegal in your neck of the woods. I do however, tear the tags off of my mattresses. Be warned.

Offlinemrlucretius
Stranger

Re: Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller? [Re: chocbruce]
    #3852136 - 03/01/05 01:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Here is the spec for the sensor:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/datast/shtx.pdf

It is acccurate enough in the 80-100% range, look at the specs.

More later...

OfflineCubieman420
Sharing in thegroove
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
    #3865772 - 03/03/05 11:40 PM (19 years, 29 days ago)

Does anyone have any experience with the MS-2 offered at mycosupply? This goes up to 100% I believe, its a bit pricy but would be well worth the cost if it worked well.

--------------------
"...now waters run free, no more fish in the sea..."
1983-2004

Offline_Lucid_
journeyman
 User Gallery
Loc: no-mans land
Re: Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller? [Re: Cubieman420]
    #3876394 - 03/06/05 07:40 AM (19 years, 26 days ago)

Ya, mrlucretius, I have been thinking about setting up something similar myself for control of my TinT incuibator considering the heater is in water in the bottom tub trying to keep the sorounding water at the specified temp, now inside the second toat the temp may be a bit off, it would be nice to have an external sensor in with my jars that then is hooked up to a digital thermostat, but the problem is most termostats out there are 24 volt, to control your house furnace, I would need to setup some sort of solid state relay to complete the 120V circuit. that the fishtank heater would be setup to on high. basicly overriding the the sensor on the fishheater, but online i did find a few that did the 120 V basebord or "direct line"(I think they call them) termostats that where digital and that you could setup 7 day settings(this way you can preset it to drop the temp or increase at specific times in the week. this would be nice if you wanted to get a very automated setup goin and you had to say leave for a week but knew you would have to give a drop in temp in a fruiting chamber soon or something like that). These thermostats seem to run in around the $60 dollor rang if i recall correctly. So the last thing would be to hook up an external sensor to it. Im not sure if this would work maybe someone out there may know... I thought to just take off the cover of the thermostat and find the internal sensor and simlply remove it and soder in place a sensor on a wire taken off a cheepo digital thermometer. that has an outdoor reading and indoor reading that you keep inside.

--------------------
The believer is happy, the doubter is wise
- Hungarian proverb

OfflineAlan
Alan
 User Gallery
Loc: Los Angeles,CA
Re: Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller? [Re: _Lucid_]
    #3939143 - 03/19/05 08:13 AM (19 years, 13 days ago)

The THUM is a true USB device to monitor temperature and relative humidity of interior living, working, and storage spaces. The THUM is ideal for server rooms, warehouses, manufacturing areas - wherever accurate and reliable temperature and humidity monitoring is required.

http://www.practsol.com/thum.htm

OfflineBugmenot2
Stranger
    #3958108 - 03/23/05 06:41 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

I'm glad to see someone used the sensirion sensors, they are sweet. Unfortunate that it isnt I2C, SMB, or 1-Wire compatable. Why they hell would they use thier own protocal? At least one of those three is open, and PIC has a line of microcontrollers with both a URAT and I2C port...

OfflineBugmenot2
Stranger
Re: Is there interest in a humidity / temperature controller? [Re: Bugmenot2]
    #3958119 - 03/23/05 06:52 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

I looked at your page. I am also working on something JUST like this. It is based on a PIC 16Fxxx (I have 4, dont know which to use yet). I have a few thoughts.

1. You can get a hitachi 4XXX compatible 2x16 or 4x16 LCD screen for less than 10 Euro. I got my last few for 4E each. There is lots of code to drive this controller in 4 bit mode from a PIC.

2. You might sell a few if you tried, but it would be great to go open source. Even if it was totally open, you could still probably sell them to those who dont solder or program thier own pic. I have a desktop PCB plotter and work with Eagle Cad, I would like to help.

3. My design so far includes an I2c port and a URAT for PC serial port interface. I would like to explore automation, but I really want to get data to my PC. I wrote some datalogger software for another device that saves to a MYSQL database, then displays live scroll graphs and historic data graphs using JPgraph in PHP (through a web browser, in other words).

I have not yet worked with the sensirion sensors, but they are on my list.

Edited by Bugmenot2 (03/23/05 06:54 AM)

OfflineBugmenot2
Stranger
    #3958122 - 03/23/05 06:58 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

The THUMB mentioned above uses the Sensirion sht sensors:

No calibration required
bullet

Temperature/RH sensor can be replaced easily without calibration

and the specs look like it to me. The SHTxx is one fucking cool little device, with a terrible choice in protocal.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #3958545 - 03/23/05 09:44 AM (19 years, 9 days ago)

Any updates? How is the prototype performing in the real world? I would worry about the electronic sensor in very high humidity conditions, even though their literature shows accuracy of +/- 2% through 100% humidity. How does it work?

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinemrlucretius
Stranger

#4023769 - 04/06/05 09:51 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

It works well. I do not have a reference humidity guage, but if you look at the specs, and consider doing relative humidity calculations using the built in heater, you will see that the accuracy will be within specs. I have successfuly created some nice cased flushes so far, so all is well. I will writeup a more detailed prototype description in the next couple months.

See http://www.rettc.com/projects.php in the future, hopefully I will write up more soon.

Offlinelqst
Stranger
    #4088838 - 04/23/05 03:05 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I found another sensor it's like the THUM but $50 cheaper might be of interest to anyone attempting to use a PC for their automation. Combined with about $50 worth of x10 controllers and a little bit of basic programming such as VB I think automating a system shouldn't be too hard.

http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/th1.html

Edited by lqst (04/23/05 03:08 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract