Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Mycobags, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
the strangest "pinset" ever
    #3845056 - 02/28/05 02:18 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

hey guys, this is a rather bizzare situation and i don't know where to post this exactly. i really really need your help, thank you:

background info:
12 1/2pt PFtek jars of EQ P-cooked and then colonized at 82F for 4 weeks. all 12 were contam-free. after full colonization they were placed in the fridge for 8hrs for cold-exposure to get them a bit excited for the beginning of pinning. 6 cakes were birthed into glass terrarium and perlite is used for humidification. it's been two weeks or more now. something was noticed over a week, but goes unidentified...

the issue:
the cakes have gotten fuzzy and have appeared overall that they are initiating pinning. this is good, and expected; it took about a week to see these signs. however, instead of pins, i am seeing clusters of off-white blobs. they are clustered together in formations that resemble those of a pinning cake. rather than developing into normal-looking pins with caramel caps, they are just sitting there as round button-like fungal blobs. they are roughly 1/2cm to 1cm in diameter and are no more tall than they are wide. they really look like little buttons or tiny mostly-round blobs. there are no obtrusive smells from the fruiting chamber. these "pins" or "blobs" are barely growing - incredibly slowly. i am noticing new formations of these blobs and they look like what we would expect from a new pin, but they just don't freakin' develop into pins. they just grow into little damn buttons.

my take:
what the hell is this? i have searched contam info for weeks. i don't think this could be a contam, but these blobs sure as hell don't act like real pins nor do they have the appearance of a normal pin. i honestly can't tell if it is some weird clustered growth on the cakes or if they are because pf defective/mutated spores (from hawk's) or something else entirely. all conditions are controlled for. additionally, cakes were birthed many days in between and separately and the new cakes are developing the same blobby pin cluster growth that the older cakes have. the cakes appear perfectly healthy and are a bit "fuzzy" (rhizo-growth, eh) as i can tell they are trying their hardest to pin. for whatever reason, we're growing strange pin-like blobs rather than ecuador beauties. i am flabbergasted.

i call upon you. i hope this has a parsimonious explanation, because i am utterly dumbfounded. i was so excited to have 12 contam-free healthy jars and i thought "now there's nothing that can stop us, the hard part is over." yet now i am hit with this rather peculiar mushroom-like blobular pin-button @#$%s instead of pins. damnit. (!)(?)

please.

peace,
terrapinsunrise

p.s. i have no method of posting pictures. but seriously, imagine tiny pins, without the darkened heads, squished into little fat non-growing buttons. i think this is fungus just growing in the most deformed way ever possible. i don't get it. bacteria, yeast that don't smell?? then what??

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSamhainJ
I wanna rock out, in my dreams
Loc: USA
Re: the strangest "pinset" ever [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #3845086 - 02/28/05 02:30 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i once had a cake do this, i am unsure exactly why though. the good part for me though is that most of these "buttons developed into large shrooms, alot bigger than my others. i did have one shroom that just kept growing larger and larger without turning into a shroom! it was perfectly round and was about the size of a half dollar. it was the funniest looking mushroom i have ever seen. give it a few days and see if they develop. if not you may just get some huge blobs to eat.

--------------------

Invisiblekorins
Antisocialite

Re: the strangest "pinset" ever [Re: SamhainJ]
    #3845097 - 02/28/05 02:35 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

sounds like mutants!

Offlineliveby
Wasted For Time
 User Gallery

Re: the strangest "pinset" ever [Re: korins]
    #3845259 - 02/28/05 03:44 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

we love mutants ! potent fucks

--------------------

http://www.bruceeisner.com/ -Creating a Sensible Culture

Offlinehawksapprentice
Yearns to Snowboard
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: the strangest "pinset" ever [Re: liveby]
    #3845488 - 02/28/05 06:13 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Its sounds like primordia. I beleive that they occur really on just cakes, but i could be wrong on that. I have only seen them on cakes.

--------------------
"I celebrate the Earth, my home, my mother, my grave, and as long as men are Man they must, if they would preserve the integrated being, do the same---[and preserve]--this rank casual hungry smelly sweaty lusting transitory body, my oozy pulpy liquid-bag-swollen body, bones, blood, hair glands, my bejeweled sex; I love and celebrate it all.  never to let men forget that they are animals as much as gods---that is one thing I shall say."

Edward Abbey

Anonymous

Re: the strangest "pinset" ever [Re: hawksapprentice]
    #3845513 - 02/28/05 06:44 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

ive only had the mushroom tissue 'blobs' with casings...but they are only the size of of a typical pencil eraser. The biggest ones ive ever seen are on cakes(in pics from users on here that had them) that were size of marbles.

they are a type of mutant, and just as pote as a perfect mushie would be, but then perfection is in the eye of the beholder :wink:  eat the blobs too. just mutants, harmless.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #3845544 - 02/28/05 07:19 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Blob.....is a pin trying to form & are usualy not getting something they need to form properly, as in air exchange - light - moisture - nutriant or combo of all 4.

Blobs can turn into pins, or not. Leftover colonized WBS, set aside & forgotten for a week - exposed to natural light in greenhouse. Blobs & some pins formed. Blue is bruising from jar getting kicked around.

--------------------

Offlinedisturbed
Poutine andSodomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: O-H-I-O
Re: the strangest "pinset" ever [Re: agar]
    #3845889 - 02/28/05 11:13 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

one of the biggest shrooms I ever grew was just a "stump" with no cap. Almost all my mushies were deformed though b/c I didn't let the lysol dissapate b4 I started fanning.

--------------------

11/25/07 first time entrant ban lottery champion

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: the strangest "pinset" ever [Re: disturbed]
    #3846099 - 02/28/05 12:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

It doesnt sound like this person has blobs. It sounds like either mycelium (rope like fingers protruding from the casing layer) or primordia (what pins look like before they're pins, very small, like the candy "Nerds", pin shapped but no coloring). Primorida turns to pins in a day or few.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: the strangest "pinset" ever [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3846248 - 02/28/05 12:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

these are not your typical pins, trust me. you all are on the right track with the "blob" theory. somebody said most of them are the size of an eraser head and this is exactly true in my case. one is ALMOST as big as a small marble, but these things are growing ridiculously slowly. thanks for the input so far.

my questions now are: what caused this? perlite is keeping the humidity up, light is 4 hours per day (blue x-mas lights), fanning is 3-4x per day. so what gives? is it the spores' fault?

is it possible for h2o2 to cause this? i used h2o2/water in the bottom of the terrarium to soak into the perlite to provide humidity - could too much h2o2 create harmful gases in the terrarium as the perlite evaporates it?

i'm at a loss! even if these "mutant blobs" are edible, it doesn't matter because out of 6 cakes i am sure there is not even 1g of WET shroom.... it's been over 2 weeks and these things are not worth waiting for...

should i trash it, start over and do casings instead? and hope that the environmental variables will be different/better this time? (even though it seems like everything is in check!) again, could it be the spores? i have 4 syringes of EQ from Hawk's Eye - are all 4 going to do this to me?

thanks for the help, i appreciate it if we can resolve these remaining topics. you all are wonderful.

peace.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3846269 - 02/28/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Poor light. Air exchange could be better. You should have 12 hours of light. Christmas lights also put out alot of heat for the light they produce. Intense light is good for pinning. This doesnt mean intense like plants. It just means a flouro light... Optimal air exchange is 3-6 times per HOUR. What you have works, many people do it that way...but an automated sytem will do you much better.

The blobs, come now and then. Shrooms still usually come though so dont trash! Just keep them and start some new cakes. It also wasnt due to h202. Temps if high or fluctuating (or cold) could also do this.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
    #3847917 - 02/28/05 07:01 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

but how can it be poor light? they only need it to initiate pins, 12hrs a day is absurd - i've never heard of needing so much!

about air exchange: i know more is "better," but i hear about people leaving their terrariums unattended for days (with NO air exchanges) and the mushrooms are doing just fine. the FAQs on this board even suggest 2-4 (roughly) per day.

ok, so blobs are just malfunctions in the developmental process of the shroom? thus it has absolutely nothing to do with the spores?

if i start over and do casings instead (to change the scenario - increase my chances of success perhaps), the humidity would then be ample, and if i introduce better lighting, and if i *try* to fan more even though that doesn't seem like the problem, then these blobs should cease to be blobs and should turn into actual pins?

what do you all use for lighting? now that i think about it, the room is pitch black (no windows) until i turn on the blue xmas lights. every other time my friend has grown it has been in a room that receives natural indirect light through windows.

thanks for you help so far, people.

peace.

Offlinepshawny
Mycobian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomery
    #3848556 - 02/28/05 08:52 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TerrapinSunrise said:
but how can it be poor light? they only need it to initiate pins, 12hrs a day is absurd - i've never heard of needing so much!/quote]

Never in your 2 years at the shroomery? I read of people using anywhere from 8-14 hours of light every day in here. I've also had those blobs before, not quite sure what caused them that time though. GL

--------------------

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: the strangest "pinset" ever [Re: pshawny]
    #3848919 - 02/28/05 10:00 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

ok, so maybe more light is a good thing. like i said, this is the first grow in a naturally pitch-black room, thus the indirect sunlight is not happening as it did in the past.

the bizarre issue, however, still remains: what the hell causes these f-in' blobs? it doesn't seem plausible that 3hrs of light per day rather than 8hrs per day would cause such a strange phenomenon... and if it is environmental conditions, what sort of environmental conditions? in my experience, unstable or less-optimal conditions translates into fewer pins or smaller mushrooms or spliting caps or something along those lines. but not mutated blobs!

i'm dying to know where these blobs come from... if anyone else has any clue.

thanks guys.

peace.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3851045 - 03/01/05 10:11 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TerrapinSunrise said:
they only need it to initiate pins, 12hrs a day is absurd - i've never heard of needing so much!

about air exchange: i know more is "better," but i hear about people leaving their terrariums unattended for days (with NO air exchanges) and the mushrooms are doing just fine. the FAQs on this board even suggest 2-4 (roughly) per day.

Yeah man. Absurd light. Absurd air exchanges. I'm just absurd arent I? Guess thats why I have an absurd amount of mushrooms? Hey many. Dont worry. You aint gotta listen to me. You can grow your blobs.

--------------------

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
    #3851827 - 03/01/05 02:09 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

you're not absurd and i never suggested that. awesome grow by the way....

i'm just baffled because i have done this before and never seen blobs in my life. i've never once fanned 72-144 times per day and i've never used more than 8 hours of light and i've never had any problems! i just don't understand what causes these blobs and how they can, if ever, go away.

the environmental conditions seem fine, that's why this is so confusing.

so it's possible to have blobs and then they suddenly stop being eraser-head blobs are start being real growing mushrooms? i dunno man, i'm at a loss. i'm tired of cultivating tiny fungal lumps. i've upped the light duration and fanning and nothing good is coming of it. i still wonder if the spores can cause this mutation or whatever the hell it is?

peace.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3851989 - 03/01/05 02:40 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Sometimes they just happen. Sometimes its temps. Some strains have different requirments. Despite that whole "cubes a cube thing" its not exactly true. A strain may require more air. Or more light. Maybe humidity to high. I usually only get blobs on jars...I've never had them on casings so I cant say for sure in fruiting what causes it. I can just tell you that you will get better results with 12 hours of light during the pinset and more like 4 after they pin. You'll also have better luck using a cooler light source and not incandescent bulbs. Flouros are great for that. And youll also have better luck with lots of fresh air. I fan manually myself but I have a closet with a fan in it running 24/7 mixing air and there is enough room for me and a two other people to stand in my chamber with it full so they have lots of air circulating. And I still fan 2-3 times a day. When I used a small pod, automated air pump did WAY better then manual fanning even 6 times a day.

Like I said, you dont have to get optimal to get results alot. Some strains are more forgiving. But when something is wrong...its time to start making things right. I cant directly pinpoint what it is just by you telling me, only some issues that you could improve..improving the environment can only make your stuff healthier, flushes better and quicker, and reduce deformaties such as these blobs.

--------------------

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
    #3852052 - 03/01/05 02:49 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

great. good advice. i'm starting to change some of the variables. also, this is my first time working with cakes, though i have birthed mycobags many times with great results.

since i do not have a direct way of measuring humidity, i feel compelled to attempt a casing which would, i feel, provide a much more stable micro-environment for the mycelium and fruits. as it stands the way things are, i think there may be some fluctuating temperatures due to the schizophrenic winter and perhaps fluctuating humidity (although i am using a perlite setup). i don't feel like the blue icycle lights are altering the temperature, so i will stick with them a little longer and will increase them to 8hrs per day minimum.
i guess i chose EQ because i read they were good for "beginners" and fruited well, although i am very disappointed with them thus far.

considering there are 3 more syringes of this EQ, should my friend push on with using the same spores and creating casings instead, or should he consider different spores from a different vendor?

peace.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3852128 - 03/01/05 03:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

also, this is my first time working with cakes

Ah! Important info. Cakes more often form these blobs...especially when conditions arent good enough. This change in your varibles in requiring other changes it seems. Like you said, casing provides a much better microclimate.

I would definatly case some. If you have a PC, go with whole grains and forget the PF Tek. The spores should work and since you have them, stick with them and perfect them. Alot of people enjoy eq. Some dont, but alot do. Try and keep your conditions as close to optimal as you can. Temps 73-77, not fluctuating to much. Even humidity and moisture in the casing layer at all times. Nice even light over the casing. If you cant see the casing surface perfectly, well lit, and brightly, then its not bright enough. I think if its bright enough duration matters a little less. Unlike plants, they dont need the light to do anything really, but they do need to SEE the light just to pop up and grow up. If they cant see good enough, they dont pop up well.

--------------------

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3852316 - 03/01/05 03:47 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Rhizo's are stringy and ropey looking, Not fluffy :smirk:

-Gnostic

Nice to see you post the same damn pics up again scat :smirk:

Just kiddin, always love to see your pics right behind your point and sarcasism :thumbup: :lol:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Mycobags, Perlite, Portable Greenhouse, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation