Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Seeking help! Accessing a drive thats IDE - USB
    #3844310 - 02/27/05 11:53 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

hey all,
sorry to be posting a crappy 'computer help' question like this, but i need some help!

OK so I borrowed a hard drive off my friend as it has some files on it that I wanted to get. Its a 40gb Seagate barracuda. Anyway, it has a cable from it that is IDE at the drive and then you plug it in to the USB slot. The other day when he gave it to me, I plugged it in an XP recognised it, and I was able to access the files. There were still some files I wanted to get off it so today I plugged it in again, and it no longer wants to open the drive!!

Sometimes it says, 'there was a problem installing the hardware' , in which case it doesnt show up at all when I look in 'my computer', but one time it managed to know that it was there except it said 'F:\ Local disk', then when I click on it it pops up with a window saying 'This drive is not formatted. Format the drive now? Y/N' and it doesnt open the drive.

Do any of you know what might be the problem? Or suggest another forum / website that could help me out?

Any help would be greeeeeeeeatly appreciated :smile:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Active Ingredient
Male Arcade Champion: Plumber

Loc: California
Re: Seeking help! Accessing a drive thats IDE - USB [Re: zee_werp]
    #3845138 - 02/28/05 02:58 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You need unix tools, at this point... That is unless you want to pay for stuff.

Windows caused the filesystem to become mangled, or you did. You need to repair the filesystem. Do you know if it was FAT or NTFS? There is lots of software out there to do this; look for hard drive analysis, recovery, and repair tools.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology