Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
The difference between knowing what to do and doing it
    #3844029 - 02/27/05 11:13 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

So often i see people in my life that have tanek some what of a wrong turn. IT is worth nothing that this percieved wrong term is how they see it themselves, not a label i have put on them/ it.

An old shroomery user who i went to cali with was one of these people. HAving many problems in his life he openly admitted them to me and said how he felt lost and that the way he was living was too complicated for him. going on the wrong direction. he knew that he needed to stop using so many drugs and go back to school, and that if he didnt that bad things would come.

the next night, he was sitting around in the appt we were staying at and said he felt lost and that perhaps he should eat some acid and see if that would show him what to do. i responded to him that he allready knew what he needed to do. he agreed and decided not to dose.

knowing full well what the problems in his life would lead to and knowing full well what was going to eventually hapen, and what he needed to do to save hiimself.... he decided to walk down the path to his own destruction. now he is in federal prison for quite some time for his action(s).

how is it that people can see so clearly what is wrong in their life, and the inevitible consequence, and not save themselfes. its like walking towoards a cliff, knowing full well you need to stop to stay alive, and walking over the eedge anyways?

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
Re: The difference between knowing what to do and doing it [Re: ZippoZ]
    #3844570 - 02/28/05 12:47 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You know, thats a DAMN GOOD QUESTION! :thumbup:

I was a somewhat heavy drug user in my day (I used pretty much every drug in high doses and combos), and then I made the determination to quit cold turkey-- and I did! The only drugs I would use today are shrooms and acid, period. I say I would do them, because I don't go looking for them, but I would if the opportunity presented itself.

I don't know what it is that causes people to change their habits, I wish I knew because I'd like to eat better, excersise more, study more, make more art and music, and a whole list of other things that I can seem to motivate myself to do. In a way I almost think people change because it's meant to be, if that makes sense. I have a brother that's nearly killed himself huffing airsols; he's been in jail for the past two years and he recently got out and just the other day he was caught trying to huff freon out of an AC unit. He has OCD and autism, and a genetic disposition for substance abuse. I honestly think he will never change, but I have hope.

refutation bias
 User Gallery

#3844647 - 02/28/05 12:58 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

It's very complicated.
First of all, there is the self destructive quality in us all. It may be rooted in the "id". Or perhaps we are afreaid of what we are capable of, because if we were as succesful as we know we could be , it would mean a lot of responsibility.

One of the greatest sicknesses of humanity is the desire for victimhood. People wish, subconsciously, or perhaps consciously to suffer so that they can use it as leverage against others, or for attention, or to be the "master of misery". This victomhood can become such a driving force that it leads someone to destroy themselves completely.

Alot of times, people cannot really express or come to terms with why they are suffering. Perhaps your friend was actually dealing with something that he refused to open up about or even be honest with himself about. When someone is unable to confide in anyone, not even their own heart, it leaves them in a state of limbo. They float through life without focus or a plan because they are so out of touch with themselves. All communication is broken down with no chance of resolution. They are living a lie, continueing things they know are unhealthy simply because they have no plan for a resolution.

There are so many factors that could be involved, every case is unique. One of the core problems, especially when drugs are involved, is that people are accustomed to escape. They have even integrated escape into their spirituality and their joy. This is difficult to break, especially when life just keeps going on with all the same influences. It takes real discipline but when your life lacks focus and there is no resolution in sight, discipline is tough to maintain. It seems overwhelming and pointless.

Re: The difference between knowing what to do and doing it [Re: Viveka]
    #3844726 - 02/28/05 01:11 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

EvilEye? said:
. . . .It takes real discipline but when your life lacks focus and there is no resolution in sight, discipline is tough to maintain. It seems overwhelming and pointless.

That's a pretty good summary. People often drive themselves over the edge because they don't see why not. A lot of my friends always talk about "why I try in school" and "what's the point". Well, I'm not sure but I know that just doing drugs 24/7 isn't going to lead me anywhere, and they know that but they don't care.

I'd have to say motivation is what stops people from doing this. Although that answer sounds kind of circular, because we are looking for reasons behind lack of motivation?

At any rate, when he said every case is unique, that's so true. Generalizing and making rules about why this and that on a social scale is just incorrect and futile.

Ron Paul 2008!

Loc: Australia
    #3844886 - 02/28/05 01:34 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

there are many answers to this question but different answers to different situations.
some of these people don't trust themselves to know their own answers to their personal questions and don't see the power that they hold within them to change or do what needs to be changed to find there way again.

suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Loc: BC province
Re: The difference between knowing what to do and doing it [Re: spudamore]
    #3845131 - 02/28/05 02:56 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I think at any given moment there's a tiny whispering voice deeep inside that tells you the best thing to do. it's just so fricken hard to hear, and it's easily confused with other voices and distorted by this and that

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology