Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Mindfulness Explained
    #3841937 - 02/27/05 03:35 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I thought id make a separate post for this topic, as i feel that it is of great importance to understand what mindfulness is, as a tool for spiritual development.

"Mindfulness can be defined as knowing what is happening while it is happening, no matter what it is."

"Mindfulness is a faculty which is latent in all human beings. If we understand this, its easier to understand how to observe ourselves. its like any other faculty such as the faculty for music or mathematics. Like these, mindfulness lies dormant until we do something about it. if we want to become musicians, we practice and gradually that faculty grows and becomes expressed.

While we tend to understand this about life, we don't understand it about mindfulness. As a result many people come to the practice of mindfulness with a kind of mystical, magical view, which is an idealistic and unrealistic view.

True mindfulness is more subtle, so its more difficult for us to know that it is developing, because it doesn't develop in the forefront of the mind. it doesn't develop in the mind that is looking with its cognitive, intellectual, analyzing, rational faculty. it develops laterally. it is a deep broadening of the mind that slowly increases sensitivity and perceptiveness, it increases ones self-awareness, the capacity to see, know and understand what is going on in ones own mind and around oneself. This is a subtle process because sometimes we don't quite realize we have picked things up. It takes a bit of time to recognize the change.

It is also a process of steadily bringing ourselves out of distraction. Or if we remain in distraction, beginning to know when we are distracted. Formerly, we didn't know we were distracted. Where there is no mindfulness we are distracted, and we don't realize it. We are so into our daydreams or whatever that we walk into walls and trip over our feet. Slowly with mindfulness those areas are pushed back. So it terms of actual training, its all about mindfulness. That's where all our effort is directed. If we focus on training and developing mindfulness, everything else will automatically develop.

If we switch on a light in a room, the darkness is dispelled and we automatically see what is there. if we develop mindfulness the ground for profound inner growth is prepared and we experience deeper states of consciousness."

--------------------

Edited by Sinbad (10/31/07 10:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Mindfulness Explained [Re: Sinbad]
    #3842002 - 02/27/05 03:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Attentive, attention.

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Mindfulness Explained [Re: Gomp]
    #3842496 - 02/27/05 05:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Aware(d), Awareness....

ME....

:sun:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3843921 - 02/27/05 08:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

what if our job is so boring that to be mindful on and focus on what's going on in the work, 40 hours a week, would be more painful than to daydream about the past or the future?

it's mad boring alright, i want to develop my mindfulness but if i spent my workday focusing in on what i'm doing i'd turn into the guy in Tetsu Ironman.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: Mindfulness Explained [Re: question_for_joo]
    #3843953 - 02/27/05 09:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This is excellent. I realised this when I was about 10 years old - reflecting on the present moment is a lot smarter than just ignorantly going through it. for example right now, I am aware that my conscious mind is grasping a plethora of concepts and stimuli, such as the previous posts, and all my life experience. But If i were a "normal jerk", I would just think I'm being some sort of "cool stoner" chatting on a "druggie board". Know what I'm saying?

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: Mindfulness Explained [Re: Gog]
    #3843970 - 02/27/05 09:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

But self-reflection gets scary at a certain point. Like when you realise we are the animated dead. Or that you are literally interacting with yourself all of your life, the traces oyu leave you on reality. You are following your own footsteps.

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

#3845407 - 02/28/05 02:44 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Being mindful is great for boredom because there is so much going on in our minds that we are completely unaware of. When you begin the practice of mindfulness, you'll most likely discover many aspects of yourself, that you ignored for good reason, these parts of ourselves are the dark areas that we suppress, these are the parts that always seem to leak out at times of weakness. If we can be mindful and aware we will automatically accept these aspects of our personalities and integrate them into our being.

There is so much to discover that you will never be bored again, both positive and negative aspects. You don't have to force mindfulness upon yourself, this will just cause more unwanted stress. The whole point in being mindful is that we learn more about ourselves and the ways in which our reactive mind functions, so that we can be more calm, clear and conscious in our everyday lives.

Its not just about focusing on what your doing, its about using the underlying faculty of observation to better understand ourselves. There is so much about ourselves that we are ignorant of, the practice of mindfulness is truly an eye-opener. If we develop this practice slowly, always beginning again every-time we run into obstacles, we will never be bored.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3845518 - 02/28/05 04:51 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

good post.
i never seem to be bored at all.
you could say the rule applies

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblequestion_for_joo
i'm left. youall can bite me
    #3845554 - 02/28/05 05:32 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

that answer doesn't satisfy me.
i am not mindful though I know all about myself.
my job is boring, must put the mind on something else, I find listening to music is the most soothing thing.

--------------------
youi was a pig informatnt so you can go fuckyoruselfs

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

#3845793 - 02/28/05 08:38 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Distracting the mind wont solve your problem. Make friends with your boredom if it bothers you, in that way you will be comfortable whatever the situation.

Just observe your mind, there is plenty more to discover about yourself, its an endless process of learning and unlearning. Try to work on your intentions, if you can gradually change them from selfish to selfless, mindfulness will certainly become easier. One practice supports the other.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#3846025 - 02/28/05 09:58 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

it's the whole going in or going out decision.
mindfulness is going in
distraction is going out.

the (distracted) person who knows all about something (himself?) is relying on a line describing (self) by running around the area (to be defined as self), while the person with mindfulness is immersing into the totality of the area (the self happenning in the moment) unresisting to all that arises.

--------------------

Offlinespread8out
rescue toaster

Loc: Tennessee
    #3846411 - 02/28/05 11:50 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sinbad said:

If we switch on a light in a room, the darkness is dispelled and we automatically see what is there. if we develop mindfulness the ground for profound inner growth is prepared and we experience deeper states of consciousness.

Thank you.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Mindfulness Explained [Re: spread8out]
    #3846605 - 02/28/05 12:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well it is a lot of big talk about darkness and deepness and profundity, but it really is the right direction to point at - but I think it works better without getting puffed up terms mangled in with the simple thing that it is

--------------------

OfflineGog
hapless andhappy

Re: Mindfulness Explained [Re: redgreenvines]
    #3852360 - 03/01/05 01:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

agreed

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
    #3852484 - 03/01/05 02:25 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Nice post. :thumbup:

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom