Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
Military Service Experiences
    #3843254 - 02/27/05 07:29 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Is anybody here in the military or used to be in? Or are you close to someone who is currently in or was in?

I was kind of curious about what people who are in the military think of it. Did they like it? Do they hate it? What was it like?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: Military Service Experiences [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3843277 - 02/27/05 07:35 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I've been in the military family all my life. Many of my friends are now in the military.

It sucks, for various reasons in any position, but there are plenty of benefits, as well.

All in all, I hate it (which is why unlike many of my friends, I didn't follow the rest of my family into the military).

--------------------
delta9

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
Re: Military Service Experiences [Re: delta9]
    #3843308 - 02/27/05 07:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Good answer without incriminating your identity, Delta!! :thumbup: Threads like this, I tend to avoid, no offense.

--------------------

:murray:

OfflineMikeOLogical
Doctor ofShroomology
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #3843316 - 02/27/05 07:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I liked it, but i was young and stupid... i was less of a free spirit back then... plus i really like guns, and you definitely get to play with all the guns you want...

the downside- no privacy, small-town like living conditions where everyone knows everyone elses business...

--------------------
We got Nothing!
we're no longer selling jars.  :laugh:

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #3843317 - 02/27/05 07:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It's not just a job...it's a lifestyle. I live on a military base, I'm engaged to a soldier, all my friends are either in the miltary or related to one.

It's a great job for a kind of person who doesn't want to be doing paperwork or stuck in an office or retail or any other menial job. It's for the campers, the backpackers, the travellers. They will take care of you, of your family, but they'll also take you away from your family and send you overseas for 6 months at a stretch.

It's good because you get to get out there in the world and be a part of what is going on. You get to learn REAL skills. You make friends for life. It's bad because some people have moral issues with it, families get torn apart...

Personally, I don't think I could ever join the army. But for my fiancee, it's perfect. He'd shrivel up and die working 9-5 for some shumck on a power trip.

--------------------

Edited by CherryBomb (02/27/05 07:43 PM)

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Re: Military Service Experiences [Re: CherryBom]
    #3843360 - 02/27/05 07:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

CherryBomb said:
It's a great job for a kind of person who doesn't want to be doing paperwork or stuck in an office or retail or any other menial job. It's for the campers, the backpackers, the travellers. They will take care of you, of your family, but they'll also take you away from your family and send you overseas for 6 months at a stretch.

There are plenty of jobs in the military that involve doing paperwork, being stuck in an office, and even retail and other menial jobs.

Infantry is but one of many MOSes.

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
    #3843388 - 02/27/05 07:51 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

delta9 said:
I've been in the military family all my life.

Same here. The moving around kinda gets to you, but I've pretty much seen the US and a lot of the world....

InvisibleCherryBomM
Yoga Gypsy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ontario
    #3843451 - 02/27/05 07:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Infantry isn't the only field job. There's all kinds of trades that people could get into. Sure there are desk jobs, too. I'm just sayin that if someone wants to make a unique career and travel a bunch the military may be the way to go.

Hell, I thought about joining up for a desk job. The thought still crosses my mind from time to time, but I really don't think I am military material.

--------------------

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #3843471 - 02/27/05 08:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

military wasnt for me, thats for sure. my cousin is now finisghing up his third year in saudi arabia, and hes pretty much gone "loopy" if you will. hell i was in before any of this "war" business started and i went loopy.

it can be very boring and menial and tiring... there is always someone telling you what to do, where to do it and not always why you should beyond "i am your superior".

the military for young recruits is the ego trip of the serjeants and officers.

i say dont do it, but who knows you may like that srt of thing. many do.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Offlinelonebuddha
whats it allabout?
    #3843489 - 02/27/05 08:04 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I was in the army and have a buddy in the air force and a buddy in the navy.
Most people's opinions of the army depend on where they are. I was at fort hood and most people thought either, "screw this" or,"It was a good experience but I'm going to do my time and get out."
People I worked with who were in Germany or fort bragg love it.
Most soldiers will agree that financially its awesome but it comes at the price of your freedom.
Most soldiers don't have the sense of honor and integrity they try to portray on the tv.
All of these opinions are based off soldiers that did my same job(combat engineer) so other soldiers doing other jobs will have different experiences.
My air force friend hates his job (air craft mechanic) but loves being in japan. My navy friend (solder technician) loves his job because he doesn't do much.
Most Pepe that initially join (including me) join the military to use it as a stepping stone. If I could go back I wouldn't have changed anything I did. Hope this gave you the info you were looking for.

Offlinelonebuddha
whats it allabout?
Re: Military Service Experiences [Re: lonebuddha]
    #3843500 - 02/27/05 08:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Oh yeah the best part is all the interesting people you meet and make friends with.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Military Service Experiences [Re: Todcasil]
    #3843508 - 02/27/05 08:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i just recently got out. it sucked, not for me at all. but to each hiw own. but if you ar ea freespirit and dont like strict rules then i would stay away.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

#3843775 - 02/27/05 08:40 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

lonebuddha said:
Oh yeah the best part is all the interesting people you meet and make friends with.

As some one else noted... It's a big small town. "The military world is a small world". I have been in Fort Hood and Germany with the military. I probably know some of the same people you do, or at least, some people that THEY know.

This is not a bad thing, per se, just an oddity of military life - you will forever find people later in life in the weirdest places, almost as if they are being recycled in your life...

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #3843894 - 02/27/05 08:53 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

How physically demanding is the military?

I have a friend who used to be a marine, and he told me about these insane tests he had to do, such as running 25 miles with full equipment on and such. Perhaps that's just the marines, I doubt the normal army would be anything near as strenous as the marines.

How is the drug situation also? You could eat mushrooms and acid in the army because they don't show up on a drug test eh?

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: Military Service Experiences [Re: Ravus]
    #3843954 - 02/27/05 09:01 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

they can test for acid and do. the hardest things i ever had to do was ruck 12 miles in 3 hours(40lb. rucksack), run 10 miles, stand in -15F for 2 hours. in freezing cold rain up to my waist move 4 big tents (enought to sleep 50+ people) then pull 2 hours of guard in the cold cold night right afterwards, i self diagnosed myself with hypothermia that night, had all the symptoms, then after the guard i had to give medical attention to all my 200+ soldiers, and then i finally was able to sit down and warm up. as i was warming up i started to to convulse and being the only medical person around for several miles so i had to put up with it. just a quick history of my time in but there were times that were good but the bad out weighed them by far.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Military Service Experiences [Re: lemon_lw]
    #3843979 - 02/27/05 09:06 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

your experience rivals mine...

ITS SO TRUE.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: Military Service Experiences [Re: Todcasil]
    #3843998 - 02/27/05 09:09 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

share your story tod.

--------------------

InvisiblePawPaw
Picktish TexasStyle....

Loc: was born down in the sout...
    #3844010 - 02/27/05 09:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I nailed down two differant Govt jobs because of my past service in the Navy...the job i have now is fuckkin choice :thumbup: :smile:

--------------------
Come to Paw Paws place there will be no sleeping tonight

Eric just wants to catch reds ..
Don?t look back, don?t look back
He?s right on your trail
Don?t look back, don?t look back
He?s just a step away from hell
WDYWFM?

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Re: Military Service Experiences [Re: PawPaw]
    #3844030 - 02/27/05 09:13 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

what did you do in the navy paw paw?

--------------------

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery
Loc: Buckeye Flag
    #3844167 - 02/27/05 09:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I was i the marine corps, two words..it sucked.
If you are willing to kill on command, ready to kill anyone at anytime without question, the military is for you, in my opinion, so is the pyhc ward.
It was fun at times, but when it came down to it, you new you were there to do any thing the government wanted, and YOU WOULD. It is a serious mind fu#k.
I have very strong feelings against the millitary, it turned me into a person i didnt ever want to be almost. I had 2 friends in the Marines with me, one is the biggest jerk i know now, and half crazy. The other almost lost his mind and got out on a technicality. (dont ask)

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract