Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLipaYai
Stranger
 User Gallery
not sure if i should fruit yet. looknig for experienced opinions.
    #3842084 - 02/27/05 03:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Mycelium has been growing for more than 3 weeks on these cakes. They are not completely covered yet, but one of the jars already has primordia. Some of the others have yellow bumps which i researched and found out where the starts of mushrooms tinged a pale yellow from the moisture. There are no signs of contamination. The original guide I was using was vague about what to do, so these have been in a warm dark computer case for some time. I just read the original PF Tek guide, which suggested at some point during growth in the jar that they be placed in indirect light.

Just wondering if people could take a look at the pics and suggest whether i should place them in a terrarium for fruiting, place them under a dim light for more incubation, or do anything else i haven't thought of.

One more concern... I read the bottom of the jar is the last place to be colonized usually. For mine, the bottoms are fully colonized while the white usually only goes up 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the jar. should these be flipped upside down?

Please check the pics. Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Thai Lipa Yai yippee yo yippee yay.
Where are my dogs at?
Bark with me now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Loc: ked in a Skin Pinata
Re: not sure if i should fruit yet. looknig for experienced opinions. [Re: LipaYai]
    #3842112 - 02/27/05 04:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It looks like you introduced these to light a little prematurely. Your substrate isn't fully colonized...which might present some problems. You can either put them back into incubation (without light!) or fruit them now and hope for the best. If you do decide to fruit them, I would cut off the uncolonized part of your cake with a sharp, sterile knife.

--------------------
In the end, my friend, we will all be together again.

OfflineLipaYai
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: not sure if i should fruit yet. looknig for experienced opinions. [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #3842146 - 02/27/05 04:08 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

most of them are like the first two pics, without the primordia. that is only in one jar. these have been inside the comp case with no light (or very little), and the one with the primordia was one in the back that we do not look at when we check on them. i just saw it today when i took them all out for inspection. mebbe these need some more time tho before fruiting...

light or no light people? should i set them in upside down to move the moisture to the opposite part of the cake? it made the bottom colonize extremely fast.

--------------------
Where are my dogs at?
Bark with me now.

OfflineDiMiTriSouljah
No left turn unstoned
 User Gallery

Loc: ked in a Skin Pinata
Re: not sure if i should fruit yet. looknig for experienced opinions. [Re: LipaYai]
    #3842178 - 02/27/05 04:12 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You need to keep your temperatures up, too. Incubating temps should be 82-86 degrees F constantly. If it drops too far below that, it could definitely initiate pinning as well. You could try flipping them, the gas exchange might be helpful to colonize the tops of your cake faster.

--------------------
In the end, my friend, we will all be together again.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: not sure if i should fruit yet. looknig for experienced opinions. [Re: DiMiTriSouljah]
    #3842327 - 02/27/05 04:33 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What strain is that?

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3842346 - 02/27/05 04:36 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

What strain is that?

No light and you can try flipping them.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

OfflineKulTiVater
Comfortably Numb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #3842403 - 02/27/05 04:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

is that a huge pin inside that jar?

OfflineLipaYai
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: not sure if i should fruit yet. looknig for experienced opinions. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3842417 - 02/27/05 04:46 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

strain is thai lipa yai... some are also texas strain as the company accidentally shipped us an extra syringe and we decided to make use of it.

alright, well, i placed the side of my case on tightly (it was open a crack before) which made the temperature go up about 3 degrees or so. the cakes are in there upside down, with tape over the holes in the lids to prevent moisture from leaking into my case. they are also in the dark.

will the tape prevent crucial gases from getting in? is that a bad idea? i believe there is some empty space in each jar where there should be some gases tho. please lemme know.

--------------------
Where are my dogs at?
Bark with me now.

Edited by LipaYai (02/27/05 04:46 PM)

OfflineLipaYai
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: not sure if i should fruit yet. looknig for experienced opinions. [Re: KulTiVater]
    #3842446 - 02/27/05 04:50 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

btw, yes there is a huge pin in one out of the ten jars.  it freaked my socks off when i saw it.  btw, this is my first time growing these (score for no contamination :laugh: )

most of the jars have only white ropy stuff and a couple have small yellow lumps where pinning seems to be on the verge of happening.

--------------------
Where are my dogs at?
Bark with me now.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3842481 - 02/27/05 04:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Those jars may finish more quickly if you remove the tape from the holes.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineKulTiVater
Comfortably Numb
Male User Gallery

#3842497 - 02/27/05 05:00 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

thats cool man is the strain Thai Lipa Yai cuz thats the first strain im trying and it moving along nice and this is my first time growin to.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
Re: not sure if i should fruit yet. looknig for experienced opinions. [Re: KulTiVater]
    #3842536 - 02/27/05 05:10 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah definatly shouldnt have tape over the holes at any point for the PF Tek. Just dry verm layer and tin foil over the top.

--------------------

OfflineKulTiVater
Comfortably Numb
Male User Gallery

#3842545 - 02/27/05 05:13 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

are you talkin about what i posted
and they have been like taht for a few days so am i indanger of contam and how do i do the aluminum thing?

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Trusted Cultivator
    #3842569 - 02/27/05 05:16 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Just cover the top lightly with aluminum foil when you remove the tape. Aliuminum foil will prevent anything from falling onto the holes while still alowing for gases to excape. Bandaids over the holes would do the same. Tape doesnt though. You dont even really need to use tape, it seems it just messes people up more then helping them.

--------------------

OfflineLipaYai
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: not sure if i should fruit yet. looknig for experienced opinions. [Re: scatmanrav]
    #3842578 - 02/27/05 05:18 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well... i am putting them in upside down tho... any suggestions? think the moisture won't leak out the holes at all if the tape is gone? there is not a lot of moisture, just water droplets on the sides near the bottom of some jars.

--------------------
Where are my dogs at?
Bark with me now.

OfflineKulTiVater
Comfortably Numb
Male User Gallery

#3842629 - 02/27/05 05:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ight cool cuz i dont have any aluminum foil but i do have bandaids . but am i goin to take a huge risk of contamination when i remove the tape or should i spray lysol in the air???

OfflineKulTiVater
Comfortably Numb
Male User Gallery

#3842638 - 02/27/05 05:31 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

lol damn im just talkin gaway my bad guys.

OfflineLipaYai
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #3842681 - 02/27/05 05:44 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

final solution: removed tape from jars, cleaned dust out of the bottom of the pc, layed down paper towel, placed jars in upside down for better gas exchange and to allow moisture to trickle near the lid.

i also decided to join the folding@home team here to heat up my pc a bit. i believe it was more like 78 degrees in there than 82-86.

thanks for the help, all!

--------------------
Where are my dogs at?
Bark with me now.

OfflineKGB920
KGB

Loc: New York City
    #3843042 - 02/27/05 06:59 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

good job so far in my opinion, just keep them in there another week or so then i would start fruiting, btw tinfoil = bad news in a computer, so props with the paper towel.

Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!

#3843479 - 02/27/05 08:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

KulTiVater said:
lol damn im just talkin gaway my bad guys.

WTF does that mean???????

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck