Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshawnalan
Stranger
Loc: Norolk, England
2nd attempt - have i failed again?
    #3842525 - 02/27/05 07:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Let me start by saying that this is my first post on the forum. So don't kill me or anything please. Here we go:

About 10 months ago i decided to look up growing my own mushrooms using the pf tek with Ecuadorian spores. I was certain that i would mess something up so i just inoculated 1 jar. 3 weeks later i threw it away because of contamination. This put me off for a good while.

Recently I purchased a golden teacher grow kit (?25) to get spore prints from. It has been in my terrarium for 7 days. Not a lot seems to be happening yet and its shrinking - pulling away from the sides. I think this is caused by too much humidity? Have I messed it up again? Will it grow anything at all? All help/tips appreciated!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!
 Arcade Champion: Poker

Re: 2nd attempt - have i failed again? [Re: shawnalan]
    #3842540 - 02/27/05 07:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3842546 - 02/27/05 07:13 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Its caused by to little humidity. You should have the humidity high and misting. It should grow but no one can say for sure. Kits are often bunk. Not always but who knows. Seven days isnt long though so just wait a little longer. Make sure you keep the humidity high while giving it lots of fresh air, light 12 hours a day, and keep it about 75 degrees.

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3842556 - 02/27/05 07:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

A shrinking substrate indicates that it is losing moisture, so I doubt a high rH is causing any problem.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlineshawnalan
Stranger
Loc: Norolk, England
Re: 2nd attempt - have i failed again? [Re: dog]
    #3842679 - 02/27/05 07:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I did look in the FAQ (Apprentice Casing Tek) which states:

"Overlay is the condition which results when mycelium has been allowed to completely cover the casing surface. It is caused by prolonged vegetative growth temperatures, high CO2 levels, and excessive humidity. If over watered, the overlay will become matted, or, will form a dense, dead layer of cells on the casing surface.

A casing showing signs of overlay will begin to shrink and pull away from the sides of the container. It will also become unreceptive to water, and puddles may form on the surface after misting"

And that's why i wanted to ask. Now i don't know, mist more or less? I have an aquarium heater+pump in there also. The humidity is around 90% on the temp monitor but its cheap and i don't fully trust it.

Thanks guys.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation