Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
Real Alchemy
    #3841611 - 02/27/05 04:19 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Alchemy is traditionally defined as the art of turning lead into gold. But that's just a metaphor. The real essence of alchemy is converting negative energy to positive energy via the force of shear willpower.

When most people get dumped on, they turn around and dump on someone else. The don't know what to do with that negative energy, so they just pass it on down the line, until it turns into a big fuckin snowball that fucks everyone up.

The alchemist is different. He doesn't pass negative energy on. He keeps it, and uses it as a drive to be a better person. That's what real alchemy is. Converting negative energy into positive energy by a shear force of will.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Real Alchemy [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3841677 - 02/27/05 04:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

True Dat~....    :thumbup:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinethe_phoenix
Stranger

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    #3841678 - 02/27/05 04:39 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

It's a great job because, all of a sudden, you find all this energy available everywhere. :smile:

Transmutation can be done with will power, but the endeavour is bolstered by understanding. Negative energy, negative feelings, they really bug me out. I'd rather get on with my day but I'm held back by negative thoughts. I'd rather pass on over all those little daily misunderstandings, I don't want to be reminded of them, have to try and solve them, understand them.

The more I try to suppress it, the tougher it gets. It's really trying to tell me something. Maybe I should be open to the negative feelings and thoughts and accept them as signals. What misunderstanding gave way to them? In what areas of life do I take things too personally, harbour too much attachement, lie to myself, act on false premises, etc?

It feels good to stay angry because then I never have to learn, I never progress; I regress. The more I cling to my problems, the more I confuse them as a part of me. Fortunately that will eventually drive me mad or burst my insides open, allowing the negative feelings to escape, giving me a second chance to make amends and learn the lesson. I'm going to learn it one way or another.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Real Alchemy [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3841707 - 02/27/05 04:46 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

The cool thing is that you can *calmly* re-direct (or guide) that person's negative energy to be a source of positive energy within that person, *sometimes*, and if one so chooses to try....  It does depend on how strong the negative energy is, and how open to another perception of understanding they are capable of "seeing".... 

ME...

:sun:

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #3858961 - 03/02/05 08:20 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I agree with your definition of alchemy as a transformation of negative to positive, but that is fairly general. I ascribe to an alchemical metaphor for doing psychotherapy, in fact, my guide-book for this has been Anatomy of the Psyche: Alchemical Symbolism in Psychotherapy by Edward Edinger (author of 'Ego and Archetype'). The negative and positive you name are meaningless suffering and meaningful life respectively. (This same transformation has been furthered by the late psychiatrist and Auschwitz survivor Victor Frankl in his school of Logotherapy).

I do not agree with power as the essential motive, but rather wisdom. Coincidentally, I was reading Lama Govinda's 'Foundations of Tibetan Mysticism' last night where he was speaking of the Tibetan Buddhist alchemy of the Vajrayana - the Diamond Vehicle - the Jewel in the Lotus of the Heart - the Philosopher's Stone. Buddhist Tantra differs from Hindu Tantra in exactly this point - it is not based upon power [Shakti] but rather upon wisdom [Prajna] which he refers to as a union of knowledge and compassion. This is the meta-principle that contains and guides the power principle.

In working with clients, wisdom in the form of a Socratic 'spiritual midwifery,' the 'birthing' of understanding from within the client him/herself is how the process transforms another. Power by itself cannot be applied directly. I cannot force someone to change from without but must evoke something from within them. That usually requires 'skillful means' - the wisdom of compassion. The power aspect resides in the 'knowledge' that 'skillful means' is The Way. Power must be transformed first into something 'higher,' or it is experienced by another as ego, willpower, and disregarded.

It is good to see someone post on alchemy however, despite a philosophical difference on meta-motive :smile:

'Alembic and the Philosophers' Stone' - Journal drawing, MarkostheGnostic

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (03/05/05 04:28 PM)

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Real Alchemy [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3858972 - 03/02/05 08:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Words.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Real Alchemy [Re: zorbman]
    #3859082 - 03/02/05 08:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Logos.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: Real Alchemy [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #3859094 - 03/02/05 08:47 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I used to play with those as a kid.

I see you still enjoy them.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #3861025 - 03/03/05 03:33 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

negative enrgy ->music = positive energy.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Real Alchemy [Re: BleaK]
    #3861046 - 03/03/05 03:40 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Music = eMotionALLmotion in motion of math and sound in passion of creation.... 

:sun:

--------------------

>^;;^<

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #3861621 - 03/03/05 10:57 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

I've practiced this regularly, ever since I read about it in a book.. (I think it might have been The Tao of Pooh.) but in the book it was not specifically described as alchemy... it was just labeled as "energy conversion."

Cool to have a new name to associate with the concept. :smile:

Thanks, J.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Real Alchemy [Re: the_phoenix]
    #3861631 - 03/03/05 11:01 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

the_phoenix said:
It feels good to stay angry because then I never have to learn, I never progress; I regress. The more I cling to my problems, the more I confuse them as a part of me. Fortunately that will eventually drive me mad or burst my insides open, allowing the negative feelings to escape, giving me a second chance to make amends and learn the lesson. I'm going to learn it one way or another.

My favorite part of that last paragraph is the fact that it is an actual manifestation of the lesson. You recognize that even when you cling to the problems and they eventually drive you mad, there is a positive found in the sense that it gives you another chance to make amends and learn the lesson.

Rock on! :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology