Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Magic mushrooms sold in city shop
    #2252010 - 01/19/04 02:51 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100n...-name_page.html

Magic mushrooms sold in city shop Jan 16 2004

By Jenny Watson, Liverpool Echo

MAGIC mushrooms are being openly peddled to Liverpool's student population from a shop in the city centre.

The mushrooms which contain a drug similar to LSD and cause hallucinations, are being sold over the counter for ?10 a trip.

The ECHO bought 15g of Mexican cubensis mushrooms from a shop in Slater Street, which claims a loophole in the law means it is not illegal to sell or possess the mushrooms in their natural state. However, the moment you freeze, dry or grind the mushrooms into powder, the psilocybin in them is treated as a Class A drug.

We handed the mushrooms to police. Officers said they would be sent away for analysis and action would be taken if any illegality were found.

The maximum penalty for possessing processed mushrooms is seven years in prison and supplying them is life.

Hong Kong Charlie's Head Shop has sent leaflets to some 4,000 student houses advertising the mushrooms. Drug experts today warned of the dangers of using magic mushrooms, which in extreme cases include psychosis and symptoms similar to schizophrenia.

The shop's managers claimed that among hundreds of their regular clients are doctors, lawyers and police officers.

Owner Neil King said: "Freshly picked mushrooms are absolutely legal and I have hundreds of regular customers, they are proving very popular. It is an adult recreation and I only sell to people over 18.

"Like any drug you should not take it in excess. I tell people not to take it more than two or three times a year.

"In the amounts I sell them, all you get is a euphoric sensation. We have been sending fliers to students because it is a student thing really and if you advertise in halls of residence you know they will be over 18."

But experts today warned people taking the drug can feel so paranoid they suffer a form of mental breakdown.

Dr Russell Newcombe, of the school of psychology at John Moores, wrote about the dangers of mushrooms in response to concerns raised by Manchester-based charity Lifeline.

"The effective dose of psilocybin is just 1/10th of a milligram, whereas you need 20-30mg of ecstasy to feel the effect. Its effects are very similar to LSD, causing visual hallucinations. One in every couple of hundred people become psychotic on these drugs and end up in hospital."

St Helens North MP Dave Watts said: "I am appalled."

THE shop in Liverpool is one of a growing number cashing in on a thriving market across the UK.

Magic Mushrooms - also called Liberties, magics and mushies - are usually eaten raw but are also cooked into food or made into a tea and drunk.

The 2002 British Crime Survey found 2% of adults had tried mushrooms in the previous year and it is estimated that 12-15% of 16-year-olds have tried them.

Mushrooms have been used as a psychedelic drug since ancient times when tribes were used by shamens on North East Asia to enter the spirit world. The Aztecs called them the "flesh of the gods."

It was not until the 1960s that they began to be used as a recreational drug in Britain by people looking for an alternative to LSD.

Effects come on after about half an hour and last up to nine hours. They can include feelings of elation and increased confidence; some people may feel sick and want to vomit.

The native mushrooms which grow naturally around Britain are the Liberty caps, but people are increasingly importing other varieties from Mexico and Cuba. These cubensis strains are easy to cultivate and their low water content means they remain fresh for up to 10 days.

Like LSD, tolerance develops very quickly so the next day it might take twice as many mushrooms to repeat the experience.

The mushrooms are not physically addictive but some people may feel psychologically dependent and feel a desire to use on a regular basis.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth
Re: Magic mushrooms sold in city shop [Re: Anno]
    #2252043 - 01/19/04 03:29 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Do you think people in the US will ever live to see Psilocybin sold Over The Counter or in Head Shops?What about Marijuana too?
Peace
PF
~Diviner from the past~

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Magic mushrooms sold in city shop [Re: pfshroomer]
    #2252047 - 01/19/04 03:34 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

No, I don?t think so.
I also think the authorities in the UK will make an end to it.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2252077 - 01/19/04 03:53 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, I do like the way people are testing the UK though.  For an incredibly interesting read, you might want to check out "The Dutch Experience" three-part write up on a coffee shop that was planning on selling marijuana to medical patients in the UK back in 2001.  I haven't gotten all the way through it yet, but it is making out to be an interesting read. 

• Read this old Overgrow magazine article first

• Then read The Dutch Experience at hempcity.net, written by the Dutch counterpart to this UK coffee shop idea

Hopefully more people will continue to drop the negative stigma perpetuated by inaccurate propaganda relating to drugs where one day people won't have to worry about going to jail over something so trivial.  :mushroom2: :spliff:

• --------------------

--------------------
    ··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
    ...π╥ ╥π...

Invisiblemjshroomer
    Sage
    Loc: gone with my shrooms
        #2252284 - 01/19/04 08:45 AM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Since this article is the usual filled with misinformation, I have emailed the Northern Echo about this matter. The letter below is the one I just sent them. I sought to send them this response. Do not know if they will write to me or not. usually they do not like to place retractions of their previous errors.

mj:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This is in regards to Jenny Watson's article on magic mushrooms being sold in shops in the UK.

As one of the world's foremost experts in hallucinogenic mushrooms, as well as the author of 9 books, 1 medical poster of poisonous and hallucinogenic mushrooms, four CD-Roms and more than two dozen published papers and 2 websites:

http://www.mushroomjohn.com

I would like to point out some major mis-information your reporter placed in her article on these mushrooms.

Quote from Jenny Watson's article in the Northern Echo:
    Quote:

Dr Russell Newcombe, of the school of psychology at John Moores, wrote about the dangers of mushrooms in response to concerns raised by Manchester-based charity Lifeline.

"The effective dose of psilocybin is just 1/10th of a milligram, whereas you need 20-30mg of ecstasy to feel the effect.

It takles 15-30 milligrams of psilocybine to get high. That is the equivelent of a Mazatec mushroom ceremonial dose and also a clicnical dose of one fresh ounce of mushrooms or 3-5 dried grams of Psilocybe cubensis. The body converts the psilocybine into psilocine through amination once the mushrooms are consumed.

And regarding Ecstacy, the clinical doasge is from 125 milligrams to 140 milligrams a dose making 6.7 doses to one gram of the actual chemical of MDMA.

Again As I noticed in numerous articles from English newspapers, and posted at my a site are dozens of instances of what I refer to as,
    'sensationalisti journalism over responsible reporting.'

Here are my news items from English newspapers, all of which, except for last week's Guardian article which I considered as honest reporting, are greatly exagerated in their reports, especially when they asked their correspondants or science experts to say something and that is where the misinformation begins.

My news clippings cover almost 30-years of mushroom articles.

http://www.mushroomjohn.com/news.htm

Have a shroomy day,
    best Regards,

John W. Allen

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

mjshroomer

OfflineDailyPot
    Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
        #2253014 - 01/19/04 02:24 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Atleast the idea of shrooms are changing. They have more rumors than most drugs.

InvisibleG a n j a
    Pictish and proud
     User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
        #2253196 - 01/19/04 03:21 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

I fear you could be right, and that there will be a clamp down, but so far
    its spreading pretty fast, with mushrooms sold in head shops in every major city.
    2 years ago you could only buy them over the counter in london, so its spreading fast.

--------------------
    er

OfflineSorceroom
    Mycophile
    Loc: Nottingham, England
        #2253352 - 01/19/04 04:06 PM (20 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
    No, I don?t think so.
    I also think the authorities in the UK will make an end to it.

Yeah me too. Sensationalist reporting and misinformation are gonna be the end of it

--------------------
    You are entering the realm of imagination and dreams, which is not subject to time and space...

Invisiblechodamunky
    Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    Re: Magic mushrooms sold in city shop [Re: mjshroomer]
        #2261167 - 01/21/04 09:01 PM (20 years, 1 month ago)

mjshroomer you kick ass  :thumbup:

InvisibleXlea321
    Stranger
        #2262123 - 01/22/04 05:01 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

Not so sure Anno, I don't get the impression the government are paying much attention to this. Seeing as dried shrooms are class A they would have to make fresh mushrooms class A too. That's a pretty big shift and goes against a legal ruling in the UK in '76 where the judge said:

Judge Peregrine Bloomfield told the Jury: "It may or may not be that you can get psilocin out of the mushroom. But psilocin is a chemical and mushrooms are not."

And he added: "I have ruled that you cannot on the evidence find this man guilty of possessing psilocin in these circumstances

Invisiblemuhurgle
    Turtles all theway down

Re: Magic mushrooms sold in city shop [Re: Xlea321]
        #2262143 - 01/22/04 05:39 AM (20 years, 1 month ago)

What's kinda funny is that the legality of wet shrooms in the UK, may open up for legality in other countries which are members of the EU and the European Economic Area.

Appearantly, there is a clause in the EEA agreement which says that no member can deny import of a good which is legally traded in any of the other member countries.

I've heard rumours that someone are going to challenge local laws here with that argument. Could be interesting. Maybe an idea for other Europeans too?

In any case, let's hope the UK doesn't change their current practice.

--------------------
    "To make this mundane world sublime
    Take half a gram of phanerothyme."

Aldous Huxley

OfflineCyanman
    Bookworm

Loc: U.K.
    Re: Magic mushrooms sold in city shop [Re: muhurgle]
        #3827610 - 02/24/05 01:45 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

What is the legal status of fresh mushrooms now?

--------------------
    "Why if I didn't think that you was my friend, I just don't think I could bear it.." Doc

Invisibledblaney
    Human Being

Loc: Here & Now
        #3827826 - 02/24/05 02:21 PM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Anno said:
    We handed the mushrooms to police. Officers said they would be sent away for analysis and action would be taken if any illegality were found.

That's pretty bad. One of the main reasons that the press is effective is because of their attempt at neutrality. I've listened to many reporters give talks about some of the things they witness and participate in, and short of crimes actually hurting people, they are completely anonymous and do not report them to the police. If you ask me, the press should be about telling people the truth, not turning them in.

Sigh...

--------------------
    "What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering?"

"Belief is a beautiful armor
    But makes for the heaviest sword"
    - John Mayer

Making the noise "penicillin" is no substitute for actually taking penicillin.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it." -Abraham Lincoln

InvisibleMrMaddHatter
    Dementia praecox
     User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
    Re: Magic mushrooms sold in city shop [Re: Xlea321]
        #3840118 - 02/27/05 03:24 AM (19 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Xlea321 said:
    goes against a legal ruling in the UK in '76 where the judge said:

Judge Peregrine Bloomfield told the Jury: "It may or may not be that you can get psilocin out of the mushroom. But psilocin is a chemical and mushrooms are not."

And he added: "I have ruled that you cannot on the evidence find this man guilty of possessing psilocin in these circumstances

Interesting...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom