Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineharborman
Stranger
a silly newbie question.
    #3838743 - 02/26/05 07:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i know this is my first post and i might get flamed but rest assured, I've done some research and slightly know what I'm talking about..

i might not know all the anagrams, or exact meanings of some words, but i do have a hand full of knowledge and willing to learn..

however, as i read through some of the FAQs two questions came to mind:

1. some FAQ's say to shake after you inoculate (correct me if I'm wrong, but inoculating is after everything is pressure cooked, you stick in the syringe and insert some spores, right?).. now some say to shake, while others don't even mention it..

what's the best bet?

and number 2, sorta mixed.

some FAQ's also say to add some dry vermiculite to the top of jars to stop contamination.. now if your shaking the jars, wouldn't that make the dried verm useless?

and a third,
after all the mycelium grows and ready to make the cake, do you scrape off the dry verm.?

sorry again for posting this, but hopefully someone will help out..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: a silly newbie question. [Re: harborman]
    #3838768 - 02/26/05 07:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

#1 shake after about 66% colonized is how i do it
#3 yes and then dunk/coldshock and roll

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisibleTaskenti
MadPsycho

#3838769 - 02/26/05 07:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

1. some FAQ's say to shake after you inoculate (correct me if I'm wrong, but inoculating is after everything is pressure cooked, you stick in the syringe and insert some spores, right?).. now some say to shake, while others don't even mention it..

Shake when you are using grains.
Quote:

some FAQ's also say to add some dry vermiculite to the top of jars to stop contamination.. now if your shaking the jars, wouldn't that make the dried verm useless?

Same answer as above, but you don't use a top layer of verm when using grains.

Quote:

after all the mycelium grows and ready to make the cake, do you scrape off the dry verm.

Yes.

--------------------
CIVIC IS Mycoshack!! Be careful trading with him!!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showthreaded.php/Cat/0/Number/5686915/page/0/vc/1

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

#3838771 - 02/26/05 07:50 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

If you over shake, you can end the colinization, at least it happened to a friend when he fist started. Shaking every 2-3 days is ok, but I just let it colinize itself. A couple of days longer is no biggee.

Offlineharborman
Stranger
Re: a silly newbie question. [Re: XTCollection]
    #3838782 - 02/26/05 07:56 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

if i ever go through with it i plan on using the brown rice flour.. so i should introduce the spors, wait until it starts growing then lightly shake?

and what is the dunk/cold shock and roll?

Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
    #3838802 - 02/26/05 08:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

dunk-dunking a cake in water and h2o2 to rehydrate the cake for 24 hours.
coldshock-placing your dunked cake in the fridge to lower temoerature to help initiate pinning.
roll-after done dunking/coldshocking take cake out of water lay some sterile verm on sterile flat surface roll cake put verm on top and bottom of cake

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #3838834 - 02/26/05 08:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

are you doing pf cakes or grains?

:sun:

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever since.

:sun:

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: a silly newbie question. [Re: XTCollection]
    #3838858 - 02/26/05 08:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

XTCollection said:
If you over shake, you can end the colinization, at least it happened to a friend when he fist started. Shaking every 2-3 days is ok, but I just let it colinize itself. A couple of days longer is no biggee.

shaking 2 or 3 times is ok, I usualy do it at about 10-15% colonized and again at
50%, every couple days doesnt give the mycelium time to recover, that could
be why your friends stopped growing

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger

Loc: Texas
    #3839648 - 02/26/05 11:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

harborman said:
if i ever go through with it i plan on using the brown rice flour.. so i should introduce the spors, wait until it starts growing then lightly shake?

and what is the dunk/cold shock and roll?

Lets say you had a moldy loaf of bread, but it was moldy only on one side. If your goal is to get the entire loaf covered in mold, wouldn't it be better to mix up the slices? That way the mold is evenly distributed throughout the loaf and will spread faster.

The only time you shake is when you have a shakable mushroom foodsource (like birdseed). That way the infected birdseed (aka moldy birdseed) will be spread evenly and will infect the rest faster.

With the PF tek, once you've pressure cooked your brown rice flour / vermiculite mixture it will become hard (like a cake). Even if you were to shake it it wouldn't make any difference. And if you were to break it up youd defeat the whole purpose of having a cake. So shaking will do nothing.

As for cold shocking/dunking/rolling there are a lot of posts on this, you can worry about this later. Hope this helps :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds