Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Liberty Cap Lookalikes?
    #3837835 - 02/26/05 04:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

It rained here in southern Arizona a few days ago, so I decided I would go on my first mushroom hunt!

Went to a nearby field and found some mushrooms that look almost exactly like P. semilanceata (liberty caps). They closely resemble these, but the caps don't have as much as a nipple shape, more of a dome shape.

I also thought they might be P. pelliculosa, see here .

Now I've read the guidelines for this forum, and know that it would be unwise to ask for and id without a lot more info on the mushrooms. Since that's the case I was just wondering if there are any poisonous mushrooms that look like P. semilanceata or P. semilanceata.

I'll be able to go out later today and collect some, then I'll be able to give much more info like stem, gill, and color details.

Some stuff you might want to know:
-Found in damp dirt at the base of cloves and grass.
-Tried scratching them, and they did not bruise blue, but more of a grey color
-I know they are out of season in most places, but winter doesn't get too cold where I live (60F area)
-Rained 3 days ago
-The field is frequented by horses

Thanks so much!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Liberty Cap Lookalikes? [Re: ]
    #3837865 - 02/26/05 04:21 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, there are poisonous lookalikes.

To my knowledge, Psilocybe semilanceata and Psilocybe pelliculosa don't grow in Arizona; they are northern climate shrooms.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Liberty Cap Lookalikes? [Re: ]
    #3838063 - 02/26/05 04:59 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The problem with trying to name lookalikes for somebody is that mushrooms I think look very unlike some mushroom other people may think look just like it.

There have been numerous cases of people somehow mistaking Chlorophyllum molybdites with Psilocybe cubensis. I would say that the only resemblance is that they both have the basic cap, stem, and gills form of most mushrooms. But people have managed to be seriously poisoned with this mistake.

A few genera of mushrooms that produce mushrooms with a similar stature to Psilocybe semilanceata would be Mycena, Inocybe, and Nolanea (Entoloma). All of these could easily be distinguished by spore print color. Note that all three of these genera contain dangerously poisonous species.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Liberty Cap Lookalikes? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #3838248 - 02/26/05 05:43 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

In addition to the above post differences, liberty caps are a fall musrhoom in the PNW and Northeastern USA into Northesatern Canada. They grow in manured ground but not directly from manure.

P. pelliculosa grow in the fall in woody debris, preferably alder in clearcuts.

Both do not grow in Arizopna.

you probably picked a mycenoid mushroom species whic has a definitive striate margin,

Read the Shroomery's ultimage shroom Gi uide if you want to learn abouit the shrooms.

mj

Anonymous

Re: Liberty Cap Lookalikes? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3838416 - 02/26/05 06:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks a lot for all the info everyone...looks like I won't be eating them.  :thumbup:  That's okay though, my good friend just boiled PF jars last night and will be inoculating today with Golden Teachers.  :laugh:

In case you were wondering, I did go back and collect some and have some specs.

-Stem is hollow and wraps around finger with a little breakage.
-Gills are not connected to stem at all, only to cap
-Cap, stem, and gills are all light tan when wet
-Shortly after being picked, caps start turning dark tan to brown, and gills turn brown to dark brown
-They have a smell like mushrooms you would buy in the grocery store
-They do not bruise blue at all

Peace

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Liberty Cap Lookalikes? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #3840958 - 02/27/05 11:46 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:
In addition to the above post  differences, liberty caps are a fall musrhoom in the PNW and Northeastern USA into Northesatern Canada. 

oh! oh! and in scandinavia!!! :smile:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate