Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Laminar Flow Hood, Microscope, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCyber
Ash
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Yeti Sports

Loc: Dearborn Michigan
The most frequently asked questions.
    #3837107 - 02/26/05 03:15 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

This is a list of some of the most frequently asked questions. Some of the more experienced growers may wish to add to this list.

The idea was that if this list was stickied it may serve as a quick reference for new comers. I am not a moderator so this is just a suggestion.

Looking for additions or suggestions.

#1) What does BRF mean?
BRF = Brown Rice Flour, This is not brown rice! This is a flour bade by grinding brown rice into flour. You can find it at most health food stores.If you are having trouble finding it you can use a coffee grinder to grind brown rice into a flour.

#2) What is WBS?
WBS = Wild Bird Seed, This can be bought at most grocery stores. It is cheep and often used as a grow medium or spawn for bulk.

#3) What is a PC?
PC = Pressure Cooker, By Pressure Cooking jars of substrate you are killing all the other spores and bacteria in the jar. This means that when you add mushroom spores to the sterile substrate, they are the only living thing in it and have the best chance of taking over the jar.

#4) What is a Substrate?
A substrate is a mixture of items that you have put together for the mushrooms to grow on. There are lots of things that can be used. One of the easiest to use and often the first for people to start with is BRF Cakes. A combination of BRF and Vermiculite. See Also PF Tek.

#5) How many mushrooms will I get from a grow?
This is a question that comes up often and has no easy answer. The
reason that there is no easy answer, is because it all depends on a variety of conditions that are unknown. It is the equivalent of asking "If I plant 20 grass seeds how many times will I have to mow the yard?"

#6) What is the best strain for a beginner?
The truth is, any Ps. cubensis strain will work. There is very little difference between the strains of Ps. Cubensis. The conditions that are required, substrate needed, and knowledge needed are all the same. Simply choose one that you like the name of and give it a shot.

#7) What strain is the strongest?
The strength of a strain is the most irrelevant question. It is souly dependent on the persons opinion of the strain. On top of this Ps. Cubensis strength varies from mushroom to mushroom. Some mushrooms are stronger and some are weaker within the same grow. The best way to handle this question is to grow several and pick the one that you like the best.

#8) What happens if I add XXX to my mix? (Human excrement, DMX, GHB, vitamins, etc.)
Adding things to your substrate and testing the outcome can be a fun and exciting hobby! But, you need to learn the basics and understand what works best and why. Start with a simply tek, work your way up to spawning and agar work, then when you understand what works and why, look into augmenting the substrate with other things. Trying to start off by adding extras to the substrate before you understand how and why stuff works is a sure way to fail!

#9) What is the best way to grow bulk? (Ounces, Pounds, Tons, etc.)
Your first concern should be learning how and why they grow. Start small, understand what is needed, there life cycle, how other people do bulk grows, and how to keep your mouth shut! Would you get over the loudspeaker at walmart and ask "Does any one in the store know how to grow 50lbs of pot?" No you would not! Because there may be a cop in the store who would follow you and bust you! The same here, I am sure there are more than a few cops on this board that are just looking for a reason to bust people.

#10) If I inject one cake with 2 different strains will it create a new strain?
The short answer is, NO.
The long answer is, it does not work that way. Mushroom sex (For lack of a better description) is complicated and I do not have the time to cover it here. What will happen 99.9% of the time will be that one strain will take over the cake. You will not know which one it is. Although you will get mushrooms, you will not get a new strain.

#11) How do you create a new strain?
This question comes up every week. It is a true sign of a newbie! Before you consider trying to make a new strain, you need to understand how it all works. Can it be done? Sure, with the right equipment, time, and money but it is well outside of the abilities of most growers. Most of the strains are ones that were found in the wild. Then isolated on agar, cultivated to determine the viability of the strain and after years of work were announced as a new strain.

#12) What is the ideal temperature for growing?
86F for incubation. Ps. Cubensis can incubate from 68F to 90F but 86F has been determined to be the ideal temperature. Above of below this and you will slow colonization. 74F is ideal for fruiting. The temperature rage is the same as incubation which is why it is so easy to grow. These are average room temperatures.

#13) What kind of lighting do I need? How much light do I need?
Ps. cubensis is a phototropic mushroom. It needs light to initiate pinning and to tell the mushrooms which way is up. Any light will work. Even the light in your room. Just make sure they get more than 1 hour of light and you will be fine.

#14) I ordered a spore syringe and it is clear! Was I ripped off?
Spores are microscopic! You will only see spores if there are clumps of 1000's of spores. I have found that even if the syringe looks clear, you can lay it on a piece of paper and you should notice a slight purple hue to the water although this is not all ways true. If you bought the syringe from a sponsor of the board, you can rest assured that you did not get ripped off. If you got it from ebay, you can only give it a try and see.

#15) Everyone stresses how you have to have sterile conditions, How clean/sterile does it have to be?
This will depend on what methods you are using. If you are dealing with the PF Tek or BRF Cakes you need clean as in Doctors Office Clean and still air. If you are dealing with agar or Grain to Grain transfers you will need a flow hood or glove box. This does not require a 100% clean environment!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblederx
who run it
 User Gallery

Loc: dx/dt
Re: The most frequently asked questions. [Re: Cyber]
    #3837116 - 02/26/05 03:17 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

which mother fucking place should i order some god damn spores from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
better living through chemistry

OVERGROW the government!!

it's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom, ok, thats what it is.

InvisibleGED
ShroomGod
Female User Gallery
Loc: Taiwan
Re: The most frequently asked questions. [Re: derx]
    #3837157 - 02/26/05 03:28 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the info cyber...

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: The most frequently asked questions. [Re: GED]
    #3837175 - 02/26/05 03:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Good idea, but typically if they have to read :thumbup:, they just want a quick response and don't really care about the hobby and just want to throw some shit in a bag and presto, shrooms,:smirk: yea

Not all nOObs are like that, but i've seen enough to make me sad :frown:

-Gnostic

Great hobby that's worth reading into :thumbup:

Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!
 Arcade Champion: Poker

Re: The most frequently asked questions. [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3837332 - 02/26/05 04:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

IGnosticAbhorI said:
Good idea, but typically if they have to read :thumbup:, they just want a quick response and don't really care about the hobby and just want to throw some shit in a bag and presto, shrooms,:smirk: yea

Not all nOObs are like that, but i've seen enough to make me sad :frown:

-Gnostic

Great hobby that's worth reading into :thumbup:

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Re: The most frequently asked questions. [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3837508 - 02/26/05 04:43 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, I am a newbie when it comes to mushrooms, and I am not looking to just "throw some shit in a bag and presto, shrooms."

I know what you're saying though...

Thanks Cyber :thumbup:

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: The most frequently asked questions. [Re: theocean06]
    #3838054 - 02/26/05 06:58 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Herb Grinder, Laminar Flow Hood, Microscope, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation