Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestimpson
a superhero buddha
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny
incubation question
    #3836626 - 02/26/05 11:36 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

ok you guys, the FoaF did the deed yesterday - innoc'd his first 6 jars ever. he's stoked, i can tell.

but, i have a question. in order to keep a higher temp than that of the ambient temp in his apt, since he lives in the goddamn tundra, he put some christmas lights in a bucket, covered them up with some pairs of jeans, stuck it in a cardboard box, lysol'd the hell out of the whole thing, then stuck the innoc'd jars in.

for the first day the temp was perfect, mid 80s never going below 81. however, this morning the temp was pretty high. the jars were warm to the touch (not hot though, fortunately).

mister FoaF is afraid that if the jars were warm to the touch, and body temp is 98.6... that the jars gained some heat in excess of 100 degrees fahrenheit. he's not so much worried about the water escaping, since the jars are all sealed pretty tightly - but he IS worried about the cessation of growth of mycelium.

will a couple of hours of too much heat kill all the spores? this event took place the next day after innoc. because the process was still early, could it be safe?

i guess i will have to wait to find out for sure, but i thought i'd ask some professional opinion.

thanks guy

--------------------
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm... ... ...

ok.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!

Re: incubation question [Re: stimpson]
    #3836778 - 02/26/05 12:11 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

but, i have a question. in order to keep a higher temp than that of the ambient temp in his apt, since he lives in the goddamn tundra, he put some christmas lights in a bucket, covered them up with some pairs of jeans, stuck it in a cardboard box, lysol'd the hell out of the whole thing, then stuck the innoc'd jars in.

that is really stupid you friend could burn down his fucking house doing that, this isn't a matter of doing something that is wrong for cultivation, but it's just common sence. don't do that

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: incubation question [Re: penlight438094]
    #3836860 - 02/26/05 12:23 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

penlight438094 said:
Quote:

that is really stupid you friend could burn down his fucking house doing that, this isn't a matter of doing something that is wrong for cultivation, but it's just common sence. don't do that

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Offlinestimpson
a superhero buddha
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny
Re: incubation question [Re: penlight438094]
    #3839779 - 02/27/05 12:30 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

well - perhaps. but in defense, the whole set up was left on for a few days without the jars just to make sure no fires would start. none did. also, as a precautionary measure, a flame retardent sheet from a tent was wrapped about the lights before they were put in the bucket. this was not optimal, i agree, but it was one of only a few options.

the lights were removed already, before the first post was even made. there are only jeans, a bucket and the jars now. however i'm still worried about the jars... are they sterile?

--------------------
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhmmmm... ... ...

ok.

Invisiblekorins
Antisocialite

Re: incubation question [Re: stimpson]
    #3839820 - 02/27/05 12:46 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

There is no way to easily answer your question since we don't know exactly how hot it got in there or in the center of your jars. Warm to the touch means different things to different people (and even the same person usually). If I were you, I'd just think of a better way to incubate (top of the fridge perhaps) and wait a while to see what happens with your jars.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

Re: incubation question [Re: korins]
    #3839826 - 02/27/05 12:49 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

O, and keeping your jars in an atmosphere full of lysol....Def.='s mutants...: /

Why didn't he buy the supplies to build a TiT before he inoculated..I mean if he lives in the tundra the first thing id of thought of was how to keep the temps high..:shrug:

And pen...LOL..:thumbup:

-Gnostic

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: incubation question [Re: IGnosticAbhorI]
    #3840349 - 02/27/05 06:22 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I incubate on a shelf at room temperature. In the winter, I simply run a small space heater in the room. My quart jars of rye always finish within two weeks this way, so no real need to build an incubator unless the inside of your house is very cold. As said above, it's best not to use things like xmas lights around cardboard.

Now, when something feels warm to the touch, that doesn't mean it's warmer than body temperature. Your skin is most definitely not 98.6F, but usually somewhere around 80F.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineTantalus
Beyonddescription.
Re: incubation question [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #3840362 - 02/27/05 06:36 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

AFOAF incubates in the high 80's, jars are normally warm to the touch.  Remember 98.6 is only with a thermometer in your ass.  :smile:  Your skin feels cooler.  Oh, I see this has been posted.... well just imagine how you'd feel in a 98.6F room with no ventilation.  You're skin's no where near that.

Rojer, you could easily shave a few days off your quart colonization time with an incubator, but we all have different needs.

--------------------
"A nation's hope of lasting peace cannot be firmly based upon any race in armaments but rather upon just relations and honest understanding with all other nations...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed... The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people..."

President Dwight Eisenhower, 1953

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: incubation question [Re: Tantalus]
    #3841844 - 02/27/05 03:19 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

"Rojer, you could easily shave a few days off your quart colonization time with an incubator, but we all have different needs."

I'm pretty sure RR is fully aware of his advantages and disadvantages of an incubator. He could probably tell them to you better then you :wink:

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom