Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinezorakensis
Mad ScientistMeets CrazyHippy

Loc: Gulf Coast
New Grower with Random Questions
    #3836513 - 02/26/05 01:07 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hullo shroomery! I'ma newbie to growing. I just inoculated 10 1/2pints of P.cubensis (Brazillian strain) 6 days ago. I'm using PF Tek. All 10 are growing well so far. But I wanted to ask a few random questions that I couldn't find a straight answer to on the site, so here goes:

1. How come there growing at different rates and what do I do when some are fully colonized and others not? In fact, I have 1 jar that is almost half colonized after 6 days. A few only have little dots of mycellium.

2. Can I water my cakes once their in the fruiting chambers to keep them hydrated? I will use perlite to keep a good 90% humidity, but I was thinking putting them on little plates or the jar lid and putting a little water in that? Or can I spray them directly?

3. If I took a tank, filled it with cow manure, and plopped a fresh shroom cap on it, could I grow some shrooms? Or from a spore print?

4. Also, I can't afford a pressure cooker. I used a pot and boild for an hour. So far so good? If they don't look contaminated after a week am I home free? Any advice besides?

Any other advice for a newby?

Thanks to all. Happy shrooming!

--------------------
Suspended in the darkness of
The cool and still Boulder Creek Night
I hear the song of the cricket
And locusts and frogs
And I wonder
Is this the life of a Mushroom - Barbara E Hanson

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelepiota
expert infailures
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: New Grower with Random Questions [Re: zorakensis]
    #3836568 - 02/26/05 01:20 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

zorakensis said:
1. How come there growing at different rates and what do I do when some are fully colonized and others not? In fact, I have 1 jar that is almost half colonized after 6 days. A few only have little dots of mycellium.

you only put in the PMP the completely colonized cakes, you will add the other cakes when they are colonized. just wait 3-4 days more when the cake is fully colonized, it might not be completely colonized inside.

Quote:

zorakensis said:
2. Can I water my cakes once their in the fruiting chambers to keep them hydrated? I will use perlite to keep a good 90% humidity, but I was thinking putting them on little plates or the jar lid and putting a little water in that? Or can I spray them directly?

they don't need to be sprayed, if there's wet perlite in the terrarium it is enough. if you're worried with hydratation you can dunk the cake before birthing (put 12 hours in water with a little h2o2, preferibly in the fridge)

Quote:

zorakensis said:
3. If I took a tank, filled it with cow manure, and plopped a fresh shroom cap on it, could I grow some shrooms? Or from a spore print?

no, but you can mix a crubled colonized cake with straw and manure and see what happens.

Quote:

zorakensis said:
4. Also, I can't afford a pressure cooker. I used a pot and boild for an hour. So far so good? If they don't look contaminated after a week am I home free? Any advice besides?

boiling without PC is ok as long as you use the PF tek. you always have to worry about contaminants anyway, not only in the first week.

Quote:

zorakensis said:
Any other advice for a newby?

don't spend too much money in it!

--------------------
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FSR!

Offlinepenlight438094
1 spliff 16.1g +1 man alone =Blitzed!
 Arcade Champion: Poker

#3836591 - 02/26/05 01:26 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

if you are doing cakes just birth each of them when each is done

you use perlite with water, but NO STANDING WATER in the fruiting chamber, keep the air humid, do not spray the cakes directly or water them, look up dunk and roll and use the lids or plates

stick to the TEKs, this wouldn't work because it would contam in days, look at the bulk teks, they will tell you have to use manure

boiling will work for PF tek but not for grains, so your good so far, contams can show at any time, but PF tek is really contam resistat

finally read the FAQ, i anwsered your Qs but the anwsers are all in the FAQ. And for your first time follow the teks word for work, don't experiment untill yu know the basics

--------------------
Grown on Uncle Ben's 5 Minute Rice
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

Offlinepenlight438094

Re: New Grower with Random Questions [Re: penlight438094]
    #3836593 - 02/26/05 01:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

wow I typed that slow

--------------------
Looks nice, Think again, read and see http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3576624/an/0/page/0

Offlinepenlight438094

Re: New Grower with Random Questions [Re: lepiota]
    #3836637 - 02/26/05 01:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

lepiota said:
no, but you can mix a crubled colonized cake with straw and manure and see what happens

no he can't he has to pasturize the dung/straw first, plz refrain from giving advice unless you are sure you have the right anwser

--------------------

Offlinezorakensis
Mad ScientistMeets CrazyHippy

Loc: Gulf Coast
Re: New Grower with Random Questions [Re: penlight438094]
    #3836672 - 02/26/05 01:46 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the advice. Here's another question:

I see alot of pics where birthed cakes seem to be lying on top of something like vermiculite and also have some of it on top of the cake. It seems to stop the shrooms from coming out the top. What is this and why is it done?

I won't have to invest in anything else at all... and my total expenditure was under $40 bucks.

I also can't get a straight answer on possible yields.. not that it matters that much. I just wanna make it work for now.

Ciao!

--------------------
Suspended in the darkness of
The cool and still Boulder Creek Night
I hear the song of the cricket
And locusts and frogs
And I wonder
Is this the life of a Mushroom - Barbara E Hanson

Offlinepenlight438094

#3836693 - 02/26/05 01:51 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

yeilds vary too much to predict, expect 0-7g dry per cake

the verm on top and bottom is to help water content, and loke I said look up dunk and roll

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation