Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
weight training sets/reps etc..
    #3836473 - 02/26/05 12:55 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I have recently started weight training and am looking mainly to build some mass initially. I am working out every 2-3 days, and doing 2 sets of 8-12 reps on each exercise, with about 60 seconds break between sets. Is this about right? I have heard the optimal workout is now considered to be 1 warmup set (50% of main set weight) and just 1 main set. Apparently any extra sets after that only confer an extra 5-10% muscle gain, so it is considered best to spend the time doing other exercises etc... also i'm really not sure how long to wait between each set, and between each exercise?

:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
 User Gallery

Re: weight training sets/reps etc.. [Re: MetaShroom]
    #3838766 - 02/26/05 09:49 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

quality (form) > quantity (wght)
intensity > duration

for gaining mass do 3 sets each muscle group 12-10-8(6)
60 seconds is good rest between sets, make sure you strech during this time also
2 muscle groups a day + abs if you want
and legs by themselves

give a day or two rest between sessions

legs are important as they are a big muscle and give you a testosterone boost to build others muscle

¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: weight training sets/reps etc.. [Re: fresh313]
    #3840569 - 02/27/05 11:17 AM (11 years, 7 months ago)

this is just me speaking, but id say.. low wights, many many repetitions, and SLOW slow, even slower than that, movements..

Yeah, I've donefour already...

#3841180 - 02/27/05 02:43 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

You should be doing at least 2 warm up sets. Some people only do 1 set to muscular failure, but IMO that is not the best way. You want to be about 1 rep away from failure. I would suggest (after the warm up sets) doing 3 or 4 working sets. You can either do them at the same weight, or use the pyramid method, where you work up to that final set of 1 to 1/2 rep away from muscular failure. What are your long term goals? I would suggest low reps, but don't go very slow, go at a moderate pace. I have read up on how some people consider going very very slow for only a few reps is better than more reps at a moderate. That also isn't the better way IMO.

Strong man (like people who compete in the World's Strongest Man competitions - lifting "real world" objects), power lifters (like the ones at west side barbell), and the majority of bodybuilders do not use either of those techniques. Not that they don't work for some (mike mentzer comes to mind with his "go to failure" training), but for many there are better ways.

You should wait more than 60 seconds. Your body is still recovering from the last set, if you were to do it in 60 seconds, your body wouldn't have recovered and you couldn't use the same intensity as if you waited, say, 5 minutes between sets - you are basically wasting that effort and energy. You have to wait for both your muscle and nervous system (CNS - central nervous system) to recover. The nervous system takes a bit longer than your muscles do.

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Edited by theocean06 (02/27/05 04:27 PM)

Fuck Up

Loc: UK
Re: weight training sets/reps etc.. [Re: theocean06]
    #3841723 - 02/27/05 04:50 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

I have been working out for the last 6 months or so, with little gains, from what i have noticed. This week i have started to take whey protein 3 times a day, with a multi-vitamin and a humanvar pill every morning and a extra humanvar pill before bed. I have started this routine for about 4 days now, and I'm sure I'm seeing some results. I have also started eating alot more ready-to-eat fish fillets (approx. 20g protein per fish plus other added vitamins, minerals and alot of good fats)

I have also started to buckle down on my workout routine, with going to the gym twice a weed (tuesday and thursday afternoon) and i have also got my dumbell's out at home, i usually work my sets up to the point where i can only do about 6 reps, spending about 15 minutes of each exercise. I don't count how many sets i do, usually just the reps and what weight I'm doing.

Workout routine:
dumbell curl (biceps)
peck deck (chest)
chest press (chest & arms)
inner grip chest press (triceps)

followed by a run home (legs, stomach & cardio.. if i use weights on my stomach or legs in the gym, the run home would not be possible).

I also do 15 military press-ups and use my dumbells before bed.

I have only started to do this regularly the past few days, i have changed my diet, start using my dumbells and started training hard at gym. i think 3 servings of whey protein a day (17g per serving) plus other foods which provide protein and such.

Any comments much welcome..

Ecstacy got me standing next to you
Getting sentimental as fuck spillin' guts to you
We just met
But I think I'm in love with you
But you're on it too
So you tell me you love me too
Wake up in the morning like "yo, what the fuck we do?"

Re: weight training sets/reps etc.. [Re: Mushie_Man]
    #5282580 - 02/09/06 06:56 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Low weigts/high reps is a mistake if you are going for size.

Muscles can do only one of three things: get bigger, get smaller, stay the same size. If you are going to pick up a dumbbell, make it a heavy one. It needs be light enough that your form is proper and you can be fatigued on the last rep.

Lastly...beware the plateau! Thats for another time though...

Re: weight training sets/reps etc.. [Re: Gomp]
    #5282601 - 02/09/06 07:04 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Gomp said:
this is just me speaking, but id say.. low wights, many many repetitions, and SLOW slow, even slower than that, movements..

You'd think that paying more attention to form and stressing the muscle would cause some good old hypertrophy, but it more or less floods your muscles with lactic acid... thereby doing the exact opposite of what you've proposed. lol :thumbdown:

Good hypothesis though. I'd say people here are pretty bang on, but above all just listen to your body. I mean, once the get the hang of things you'll start to notice everything. My greatest peices of advice (general advice) would be to make sure you rest outside of the gym and workout hard at the gym, don't neglect your diet, don't underestimate the importance of good form and just be consistent.

You could be doing the most lousy routine ever, but as long as it's not setting you back and you've got consistency, you'll continue to move forward. At least that's what you've got to shoot for. I'm going to the gym to blast my wheels, yippy skippy. I'm starting to appreciate leg days.. which I do train EXCLUSIVELY on one day as they're a gigantic muscle group. Also, don't bother doing cardio on leg days because if you trained your legs properly, cardio will only eat away at your muscles... Gwarrrr muscle catabolism baddd. Chicken and collard greens gooddd :crazy2:

When the stress burns my brain it's like acid raindrops
maryjane is the only thing that makes the pain stop

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
Re: weight training sets/reps etc.. [Re: browndustin]
    #5282768 - 02/09/06 07:58 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

browndustin said:
just be consistent.

so important, and the one thing i cant seem to do due to my damn school schedual...

\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Loc: Australia
    #5283515 - 02/09/06 11:03 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

this is my routine and had pretty quick gains from what i can see so far.

normally walk for about 5 mins at a moderate pace.
do warm ups on the leg press max weight, 12 reps.
have mins rest then do weighted lunges 12 each side
seated rows warm up, max weight, drop seat and resistant pulls. 12 reps
chest press warm up, max weight, drop set, 12 reps, push ups
lat pulldowns max weight, drop set, 12 reps. chin ups
squats max weight, 12 reps
bench press max weight 12 reps
bent over rows max weight, 12 reps
planks/bridges 30 secs each alternate( one leg, one arm) then both at the same time.
no need to work on abs or obliques most of these exercises work your abs, just tighten your abs while you are doing your reps.
maybe hanging knee raises if i feel like it, if not stretch down.

thinking about starting some dead lifts in there somewhere, never do it in the same order either start something different each week.
i do this list twice a week aswell as taking protein, hmb, tribulus, and just started on cell tek.

suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Loc: Arcata, California
Re: weight training sets/reps etc.. [Re: spudamore]
    #5283596 - 02/09/06 11:17 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Man oh man.....Are you guys a bunch of sissies or what!? Lift heavy, lift hard, lift until your muscles feel like they are about to rip from the bone.

If you're not throwing up then you ain't workin out.

#5283877 - 02/10/06 12:28 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

good advice from all here cept ole gomps,his way will eat away your muscles,i made that mistake for a long time

i do the same and workout to failure ie cant lift another rep
3 sets heavy but on the last set drop the weight a little to complete the set and form is key
i do:
day 1:chest/shoulders
day 2:arms/back
day 3:cardio/rest
day 4:legs/calves
day 5:cardio/rest
then repeat

its good to see other shroomers loving the punishment!

Loc: NapTown
    #5284795 - 02/10/06 09:17 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I change my workout routines all of the time. And to me, proper form is the most important thing by far.

Low weight and high reps are a good way to help you get cut up, I allways mix some of those days in once and awhile.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being