Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblebaltazar
Quiet dreamer

My first agar mycelium and a question ( +pic )
    #3836000 - 02/26/05 07:12 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

This is my first time that i tried to grow in petri dishes filled with agar + malt extract media, i have 5 petri dishes, every one of them with no contams, and i have nice growth in each ...

I used just spores from a print, scraped them in, and after a few days mycelium showed up ...

Here you can see my best dishes ... Lookin great  :cool:

Im planing to use the mycelium to grow some grain jars and colonize some bags with straw, but i ended up with a problem that i didn't expect ... I cant find the bags that i see that you guys most commonly use ...

Are there any alternate methods and bags to use ? I saw in some thread that aluminium foil could be used instead of plastic bags ; anyone tried that ? ( http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1530464/an/0/page/0/gonew/1 )

Thanks in advance, cya !

Edited by baltazar (02/26/05 07:19 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first agar mycelium and a question ( +pic ) [Re: baltazar]
    #3836018 - 02/26/05 07:29 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

nice start on your cultures.

Link for myco bags

or you could spawn some horse manure with your rye grain and you wouldn't need bags...you would only need some type of container.

Horse Poo Tek

good luck!~

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first agar mycelium and a question ( +pic ) [Re: Roadkill]
    #3836191 - 02/26/05 09:18 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

No bags needed for straw. Look up more info in the FAQ's but:

Basically make up your jars, colonize them 100%, now you have your spawn. Cut or shread the straw as much as you can/want (its not needed but the more shreaded the better, I use a blender but it does take some time, you can also cut by hand or a weedwacker in a trashcan or a real straw shreader, whatever) and stuff it either into laundry bags (my preference for better drainage) or pillow cases. Soak for 12 hours (hydrate). Heat up water (on your stove or a hot plate or however you can) to 160-175 degrees and submerge the bags of wet straw into it (pasturizing, killing bad organisims and letting good ones live). After 1 1/2 hours, pull bags out and drain for 12 hours then mix it up with your colonized spawn in a big rubbermaid tub. Cover with holey plastic (right on top of the straw, not on top of the bin or the straw will dry out easier) and incubate until 100% colonized. Cover with your favorite casing layer, incubate another day or two, patch and fruit.

If you plan on mixing poo or compost in with the straw you should think about oven pasteurizing instead of hot water but for just straw I like the hot water method...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
Re: My first agar mycelium and a question ( +pic ) [Re: baltazar]
    #3837022 - 02/26/05 12:54 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Good start so far :thumbup: , now you will and should issolate a strain,once it starts to sector and you have good choices of rhizos to choose from.
In the future try to keep the spores in the middle of the dish only. The outer regions are where contams start and it could travel very easily to the center of the dish. Get self an inoc loop instead of that dump it in method, makes being precise easier.
GL

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

Edited by tripndicular (02/26/05 12:55 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags