Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Loc: New Orleans!
possible khat plant??? w/ photos
    #3835791 - 02/26/05 02:54 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i found this plant recently and the first thing to come to mind was "could this be a khat plant?" i went over to erowid to brose some photos and they look almost identical except for one feature. in all the photos i've seen, the khat leaves had a lightly spiked edge to them and the ones i encountered had a nice smooth edge. based on this, it's most likely not a khat plant but i thought i should ask anyhow just to make sure. like i said, it shares it's appearance on everything except the spiked edge. unfortunately, this specimen was too young to bear any flowers, so the only thing i really had to go on was the leaf structure. the leaves had a very lush feel to them and very dark in color. though the underside of the leaves took on a much lighter shade. out of curiosity, i decided to nibble on a leaf or two (which was dumb i'll admit. it's never safe to consume anything unidentified). the leaves had a eucalyptis type of taste sensation and, even though it was probably a placebo effect, i could have sworn i felt a stimulating effect (though this could have just been excitement over a possible khat find). does anyone have any ideas as to what this may be? i doubt it may be khat but i'm better off being positively sure then to never know. any thoughts?

ps. if the pics don't work, i'll post a link to where they can be viewed.

thanks again

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Re: possible khat plant??? w/ photos [Re: Psilostylin]
    #3835794 - 02/26/05 02:56 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yeah sorry the photos are so huge. here's the second.

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
    #3835796 - 02/26/05 02:57 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

last one. any thoughts?

OfflineLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #3835835 - 02/26/05 04:17 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

it does look similar, but i doubt it. i think you'd know for certain, more than just placebo, if you chewed on em for a bit. you don't live where it grows either do you? hehe..  anyway, i really couldn't make the distinction, but i say no. others more experienced in this area might know for certain so till then.. peace :smile:

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: possible khat plant??? w/ photos [Re: Locus]
    #3835989 - 02/26/05 07:05 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

nope...
Catha edulis leaves have a fine-toothed saw edge, and often a reddish sheen to the leaves...
(& i will bear witness that they will not survive a cold winter in a pot outside :frown: ...)

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
photos @ erowid [Re: gnrm23]
    #3835997 - 02/26/05 07:08 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.erowid.org/plants/show_image.php?i=khat/catha_edulis7.jpg

more pics in the khat vault, yuh jus' gotta poke aroun'

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: photos @ erowid [Re: gnrm23]
    #3836327 - 02/26/05 10:08 AM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Definately not khat. I've seen that one growing around here too. That's a nice thing about it, there are lots of look alikes and no one is going to know it if you have khat. If anyone is interested in khat seeds so you know what they look like, I have some available for trade.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

InvisiblePsilostylin
Captain Save Em'
Re: photos @ erowid [Re: Stonehenge]
    #3837358 - 02/26/05 02:14 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yeah i didn't think they were khat but i wanted to be absolutely sure. khat seems like a very interesting plant to look into. and true, it's a scheduled plant, though i highly doubt any law official or fbi agent would or could recognize it. drug dogs probably aren't even trained to pick up on a khat scent. anyway i greatly appreciate all the help. you guys rock. and stonehenge, i don't have anything too cool, to trade up, right now, but i am expecting a mess load of paeoney and persian white seeds come spring/summer. so if you still have some seeds come then, hit me up.

whatever this plant may be, i think i will snip off a few cuttings and propagate just for fun. it is a very beautiful plant and has a lovely eucalyptis taste and smell. i think it would be a great addition to my garden.....or a decoy for future khat grows  :wink:

anyway, thanks again
cheerio

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds