Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelittlefriend420
Rafans Rule!
Male

Tomorrow's The Big Day
    #3833803 - 02/25/05 04:35 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

So, I sterilized my jars yesterday. I wanted to wait a couple days to make sure that everything was good to go before I inoculated, make sure no contams are present. I should be okay. I PC'd 6 jars at a time in a (I think) 6qt. PC, for 35 minutes. The jars are PF style, covered with foil, and the first 6 were placed in a covered container till tomorrow. the other 6 are still in the locked PC.

I got my syringes today and I'm doing 12 Verm/BRF 1/2 pints. I've been reading constantly over the last 3-4 weeks so I feel confident enough to try a couple different things. I have 4 different, what? Strains? Varieties? Whatever. I have 2 syringes each of Creeper, GT & B+, and one of Blue Meanie (they just sounded bad ass). I'm going to do 3 cakes for each, and use one of the cakes from each variety to try casing, because I would like to try for a larger yield. I'll be doing all incubating using a TiT, and all fruiting in a PMP. I'll be casing with Jiffy Mix in shoebox size plastic storage containers. I'll be spore printing into jars and onto foil.

Now for the question portion of my post. I'm looking for opinions here.
1. I think I did, but did I PC long enough to ensure sterility? 
2. Are the jars in the container going to remain sterile? or should I re-PC, to be sure?
3. Should I try the different varieties all at once or do 12 of the same first (I do have back-ups of 3 of the 4)?
4. I feel confident, but should I even bother with casing?
5. Should I incubate the jars separately to ensure no cross-contamination? Or is that paranoia?
6. Should I even bother trying to culture a liquid myc syringe?
7. Any personal tips for the n00b grower?

Thanks for any input. I may be able to get a hold of a digi camera, so I might be able to post pics. Wish me luck!  :eek: :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Great trespasses have been wrought against our liberties. The people are hungry for justice and peace, but do nothing. Everyday I see the signs of an empire in decline, but still, I do nothing. My apathy is not borne of deficiency of will - I know not what to do. Public education no longer teaches the majority of us the due processes of political action. Combined with the distractions of "modern life," pushed upon us by an economic machine with insatiable appetites, the future looks grim. Still, I hope. Still, I vote. Still, I dream..."
~ Some guy on digg

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
Re: Tomorrow's The Big Day [Re: littlefriend420]
    #3833846 - 02/25/05 04:45 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

NO. pressure cook grain for 90 min to be safe min 60 min. your going to contam. try using one syringe. see how it goes you only need .5cc for each 500ml. jar. shake em real good when you inoculate. see how things go and then experiment with your other syringes

OfflineLethalX5
Male

Re: Tomorrow's The Big Day [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3833873 - 02/25/05 04:49 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You really did your homework man.
5 shrooms for you, but i think you might need to PC a little longer next time. wait for somone with more xp to tell you but i think 35min is a little short. But Good Luck Man!!!

--------------------
"To get what you've never had, You must do what you've never done."

OfflineCray
I'm not fat i'mbig bones
 User Gallery

Re: Tomorrow's The Big Day [Re: LethalX5]
    #3834216 - 02/25/05 06:15 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

yea bud, you need to cook them for a little more than that 60-90 minutes... and wait for it to kool to touch.. you need to do more reading. No Offence, please.

--------------------
My Shroomery Gallery

Don't get ripped off ONLY BUY FROM SHROOMERY SPONSORS

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #3834231 - 02/25/05 06:20 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

pc longer wait less to inoculate. just let em sit overnight and you're cool.

as far as tips, just do the faq and you'll learn most of what you need to know in a couple of grows.

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3834299 - 02/25/05 06:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

1. 35 minutes is a bit light but you might be ok, if you cooked them at 15PSI. PF jars require less heat/time to sterilize than whole grains.

2. If those jars are sealed they should not contaminate from sitting for a day.

3. That depends upon how careful you are. If the cat tries to grow more than one strain at a time he invariably gets the jars/substrates confused. He has learned to work with them one at a time.

4. Definitely. It's quite simple and will give you a better understanding of the fruiting process, as well as more shrooms if successful. If you're not comfortable with fruiting cakes & casings at the same time, just put a few jars aside and case them after you've fruited the cakes.

5. Incubate the jars together. If any should show signs of contamination, that is the time to separate it from the rest.

6. Sure, why not? You have to learn sometime.

Tips:

1) The first time you grow, choose a tek and follow it exactly. You can tweak things for improvement after you know what you are doing.

2) Be patient. This hobby can try the patience of even a seasoned cultivator. Try to keep from constantly checking your jars or adjusting things.

3) Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of people on these boards who are more than willing to share their knowledge.

Congrats on being a well informed noob. You'd be amazed how many post questions like "How do I plant mushrooms?". You're off to a good start.

Good luck to you! :thumbup:

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineSko
Democrat

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Tomorrow's The Big Day [Re: dog]
    #3834363 - 02/25/05 06:53 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

He's fine, 35 min for PF stylee is A-OK.

--------------------
Sko

Offlinelittlefriend420
Rafans Rule!
Male

Re: Tomorrow's The Big Day [Re: Sko]
    #3837194 - 02/26/05 01:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Hey, thanks for the replies. Since most of you who replied voiced some concern about my PC time I'm going to re-PC. Better to be safe than sorry. I can wait one more day. Someone suggested 60-90 min. Is it necessary to PC that long for Verm/BRF? Most of what I've read says 45 min. is enough (not 35, a detail I'm ashamed to have over-looked originally :mad2:).

As far as the multiple strains: I have everything labeled and ready, in order to avoid confusion. Organization is a habit of mine, so trust that there will be anal-retentive attention to detail.

Dog, thanks for the vote of confidence on the casing and the liquid myc culture. I'm particularly excited for the casing process. Love those pics of mini-fields of 'shrooms!:regularshroom::regularshroom::regularshroom::regularshroom::regularshroom:

Thanks again, and I'll keep y'all posted.

--------------------
"Great trespasses have been wrought against our liberties. The people are hungry for justice and peace, but do nothing. Everyday I see the signs of an empire in decline, but still, I do nothing. My apathy is not borne of deficiency of will - I know not what to do. Public education no longer teaches the majority of us the due processes of political action. Combined with the distractions of "modern life," pushed upon us by an economic machine with insatiable appetites, the future looks grim. Still, I hope. Still, I vote. Still, I dream..."
~ Some guy on digg

Offlinefallingaway24
catatonic selfmedicator
    #3837687 - 02/26/05 03:37 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

i would imagine if they are some 1/2 pint jars that 35 min would be sufficiant, i mean thats not alot of volume to sterilize, but when you say 35 min, i hope u mean 35 min from the time you where at 15 psi and not 35 min from the time you turned the stove on, and if thats the case you may want to cook them again.. good luck

--------------------
"Most people don't know how they're gonna feel from one moment to the next. But a dope fiend has a pretty good idea. All you gotta do is look at the labels on the bottles." ~drugstore cowboy~

Offlinelittlefriend420
Rafans Rule!
Male

Re: Tomorrow's The Big Day [Re: fallingaway24]
    #3841271 - 02/27/05 01:02 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Haha, yeah it was accuratly timed. I was a bit concerned about 35 min., though, so I just PCed 'em again anyway, for 45 minutes this time. Gonna go inoculate soon.

--------------------
~ Some guy on digg

Offlinelittlefriend420
Rafans Rule!
Male

#3968335 - 03/25/05 11:07 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Wow, yeah, so I haven't kept y'all updated like I said I would. So sue me. :wink:

Anyway, my first attempts at PF jars were a wild success. 12 jars ZER0 contams. We're at 100% colonization and last night we (you know, man, the, ah, royal WE) birthed 4 cakes (one of each Blue Meanie, Golden Teacher, B+, and Creeper) and they look beautiful. I was so proud, like giving birth to a child (I assume). We knocked the jars up in a glove box, wiping each syringe with alcohol after each jar. They were incubated in a TiT, at about 85F (the heater setting, but no thermometer to measure the accuracy). They are in a PMP with perlite and bubble wands in a very warm room (say, 75-78F). We're very excited to see the first pins soon. Wish I had pics for you, but, alas, no digi cam. :frown:

Tomorrow we are going to case the remaining 8 cakes into foil roasting pans. We'll be using straight vermiculite for the base layer and PC'd Jiffy Mix as the casing layer. They will be fruiting in the same room as the cakes. Any extra precautions we should take as far as cleanliness? We always Lysol the area, use dust masks, gloves and hand sanitizer when handling anything in the grow area. However it goes, wish us luck! I'll keep you posted this time, since it's a much shorter time table.

BTW, every step we have taken has been gleaned directly from The Shroomery, from spore ordering to casing and hopefully on to printing, liquid cultures and syringes. Thank you all for such a great, informative community for this fun and, so far, gratifying hobby!

--------------------
~ Some guy on digg

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #3968377 - 03/25/05 11:21 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Just a little note. Substrate that is cased works best with a 2-3 inch layer of substrate. Not sure if one 1/2 pint is enough to fill a shoebox sized container, might want to use a smaller container to case in. Good Luck.
Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony.
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Offlinelittlefriend420
Rafans Rule!
Male

Re: Tomorrow's The Big Day [Re: HippieChick]
    #3968412 - 03/25/05 11:31 AM (19 years, 27 days ago)

Thanks, Hippie Chick. Yes, from what I've read that seems to be the case, no pun intended. We are going to be using those small aluminum roasting pans rather than the shoebox containers we had originally planned on.

--------------------
~ Some guy on digg

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures