Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineprototypical_man
ass model

Loc: Doral Florida
Misadventures into manureland.
    #3834249 - 02/25/05 08:26 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

ok so ive hit a rough patch in my jorney into bulk production.

my breif history. Learned the pf tek, learned grains and casings..
my fruits were lacking that special something, and i kept on noticing that those guys growing bulk has big ass trays of awsome looking fruits.. all thicks and robust and beautyful.

So i read some bulk teks and set out to learn how to deal with shit.

I got some organic composted manure (two types) and me not having a stove available to cook manure in it, I did my best to cook it on meduim in my pressurecooker for 2 hours. I spawned WBS jars and some corn jars into some trays with manure.

Ive been met with contams.

tray # 1

feb 9th

golden teacher

20% colonized

about 3 inches of manure spawned with WBS

The first tray i did, got gnats, Its still alive and colonizing but it has nasty maggots crawling around, which grow up into gnats..
a few areas are totally white , about 20% colonized..

tray #2

feb 15th

about 1.5 inches of manure spawned with WBS

about my best looking tray today showed tiny dots of green mold, which i removed. I gave it a h202 spray... I suspect because I saw green, that means there are spores and its prolly gonna contam. about 65%
of the surface is colonized. I see some pins. but im praying cause of the green.

tray #3

feb 15th

50% white

Treasure coast

this one looks healthy. I see pins starting to form.
If all the others contam I hope this one makes it.

tray #4

about 3inches of composted manure

lipa yia strain

started on feb 16th

spawned from corn, and now im noticing little yellow droplets on JUST the kernals of corn. the yellow is corn colored.. some people seem to think its myc piss, some think its bacteria , some think its corn juice or something.. not much of the manure is colonized , just the corn is getting fuzzy. the manure looked not wet enough to i sprayed it down with water/h202. Hopefullly its just myc piss or some weird corn thing....

this tray is one of the early one i did as well.. so i was a bit over optimistic i think on how much i could spawn to. Its like 4 inches deep, 13x17 , spawned with 1pint of WBS. It seemed to be colonizing really slow so i stired it a bit...
as a few spots where i see myc poking its head through yesterday but todayy i discovered 2 little thin lanky wussy mushrooms growing in it. It totally does not appear colonized yet i discover these two mushrooms.

I have three more trays I did yesterday, and i plan to make more tonight. here are the areas I think possibly need fixing:

I need to verify the tempatures I am cooking the manure to be 180 degrees , and cook like that for 3 hours. I dont have access to a stove so im going to have to figure out how to pasturize in the pressure cooker or a big pot. befor i was just seting it to medium/low , but tonight Im going to check with a cooking thermometer.

I need to find out if manure ever really fully turns white. my casings from over ten days ago are not fully white and im wondering whats up. one of them even grew some small fruits and is clearly not fully colonized. perhaps under my desk is too bright? Do i need to incubate in full dark for a certain period after spawning?

Thank you all for your help and opinyons. In this time of hardship i greatly appreciate your input.

B.

--------------------
I have 29 Strains as of current.. I LOVE TO TRADE. See my bio for the strains I currently have.

I seek: Strains I don't have, exotic species, Edibles, Vacutainers, A accurate scale, chicken manure, worm castings, worms for making my own worm castings, plastic lids for mason jars, light malt extract, Kelp Meal, A Ph Tester, A microscope.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Misadventures into manureland. [Re: prototypical_man]
    #3834282 - 02/25/05 08:36 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Just a few things I noticed here. That store bought manure is the suckolla nutrient wise, in my opinion. Some people have had luck with it, but not me. Originally you sterilized your manure also, it needs to be pasteurized as you know. 180F is a bit high if you ask me, aim for 165 and try to hold that for 90 minutes or so. To answer your question, yes correctly leeched/pasteurized/moisture adjusted manure does turn white with mycelium, very white. Cubensis love this shit, and eat through it very quickly.

You need to get some real manure my friend. I'm considering offering pasteurized bags of this fine stuff in the trade forum for people such as yourself that just don't have access to it, or the time to pasteurize, or don't want to pay for it. What do you think, is that a good idea?

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlineprototypical_man
ass model

Re: Misadventures into manureland. [Re: Holydiver]
    #3834348 - 02/25/05 08:51 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Well im planning on doing ALOT so mail is not gonna fly.
If I have to get real manure Ill head out to the feilds and get a coupel trash cans full.. but at this point is pretty darn convienent to go get this stuff at home depot at $1.09 per 50lb bag. The company web site says its 100% composted manure..

but thanks much for the pasturization info :smile:

--------------------
I have 29 Strains as of current.. I LOVE TO TRADE. See my bio for the strains I currently have.

I seek: Strains I don't have, exotic species, Edibles, Vacutainers, A accurate scale, chicken manure, worm castings, worms for making my own worm castings, plastic lids for mason jars, light malt extract, Kelp Meal, A Ph Tester, A microscope.

InvisibleNeedMoreSleep
OCD = 100%Sterility :-)

Loc: One Inch ↑
Re: Misadventures into manureland. [Re: Holydiver]
    #3834365 - 02/25/05 08:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Diver said:
I'm considering offering pasteurized bags of this fine stuff in the trade forum for people such as yourself that just don't have access to it, or the time to pasteurize, or don't want to pay for it.  What do you think, is that a good idea?

:thumbup: :thumbup:

--------------------

"Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil,
which we must fear most. And that is... the indifference of good men."
-Boondock Saints

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #3834412 - 02/25/05 09:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

prototypical_man said:
Well im planning on doing ALOT so mail is not gonna fly.
If I have to get real manure Ill head out to the feilds and get a coupel trash cans full.. but at this point is pretty darn convienent to go get this stuff at home depot at $1.09 per 50lb bag. The company web site says its 100% composted manure..

but thanks much for the pasturization info :smile:

When it comes to cubensis and horse manure, there is definitely such a thing as too composted.  I think that could be the other problem with store bought manure--it's ancient.  Fresher is better in this instance.

Good luck

--------------------

OfflineXTCollection
Stranger

Re: Misadventures into manureland. [Re: NeedMoreSleep]
    #3834417 - 02/25/05 09:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah diver, I say do it..

Good idea.

Ive been in the game 10+ years, store bought manure has always been a nogo... Black cow, and store brands have led to 0 % colinization.

So yes, if someone was selling pasturized poo, I would buy and try.

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Misadventures into manureland. [Re: XTCollection]
    #3834425 - 02/25/05 09:13 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

XTCollection said:
So yes, if someone was selling pasturized poo, I would buy and try.

Thanks. We actually have a vendor here currently selling pasteurized poo. I'm not talking about selling it myself, simply offering it as a trade item for people who can't afford it.

===>Sorry for jacking this thread at the moment<===

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #3834466 - 02/25/05 09:19 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I got some organic composted manure

First mistake. Get some aged horse shit, really dried up stuff; it can't be beat! I tried several types of bagged manure/compost with miserable results before I switched to horse crap. Thanks Roadkill!

Pasteurize the shit at 165-170 for an hour or so.

Use plenty of spawn. The faster your shit colonizes, the less chance of contam setting in. 1/5 spawn to shit works well. Colonize in the dark to prevent premature pinning.

Good luck.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlineprototypical_man
ass model

Re: Misadventures into manureland. [Re: dog]
    #3834548 - 02/25/05 09:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

How Long should i colonize in the dark?

--------------------

InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #3834559 - 02/25/05 09:32 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

prototypical_man said:
How Long should i colonize in the dark?

Until the poo is completely colonized...

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Misadventures into manureland. [Re: dog]
    #3834629 - 02/25/05 09:52 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

dog said:
Quote:

I got some organic composted manure

First mistake. Get some aged horse shit, really dried up stuff; it can't be beat! I tried several types of bagged manure/compost with miserable results before I switched to horse crap. Thanks Roadkill!

Pasteurize the shit at 165-170 for an hour or so.

Use plenty of spawn. The faster your shit colonizes, the less chance of contam setting in. 1/5 spawn to shit works well. Colonize in the dark to prevent premature pinning.

Good luck.

YW

and I agree with you 100%

but you forgot to tell him to drain his poo...after pasturizing it.
:wink:

place the pasturized poo...on a rack to drain and drip....12 hours or more.

then squeeze the poo to make sure that there isn't too much water still in it.

when you can only squeeze out a few drips of water...your ready to spawn.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Misadventures into manureland. [Re: Roadkill]
    #3834677 - 02/25/05 10:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:crazy: I should have simply posted a link to your tek; much less typing involved.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation