Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom
 Arcade Champion: Space Runner

A few ideas
    #3833480 - 02/25/05 04:57 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, lets say for a moment that someone has like, some unimportant number of PF cakes. After the first flush, they are dunked and a nice second flush rolls around. After harvesting, the owner of these gets curious as to what would happen if, he made a paste of sterilized BRF/Water and injected it into the cake with a needle. Would this give the cakes life again for a full third flush? Or would it mess something up and ruin em?

Also... After two flushes, would it be possible to case the cakes? Or would they be too spent to regrow everything..? It seems like if you replenish their food and moisture it should work, but I could be completely wrong.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleStratus
Khan
Loc: south saturn delta
Re: A few ideas [Re: Onetwothree]
    #3833516 - 02/25/05 05:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Some owners aren't that interested in trying to keep cakes alive past their productivity. Most would just have some in the incubator to take their place when they have fulfilled thier duty. They are however giving a proper burial in a suitable place with some horse poo and straw, and who knows they may raise from the dead.

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

Re: A few ideas [Re: Stratus]
    #3833537 - 02/25/05 05:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well... being that my home happens to be Alaska, I can't just throw them outside, which is a shame really... And yeah, keeping some in the incu. is fine and dandy, but we're talking about 160 cakes here :P Can't just refill that gap... so I'm lookin to extend their lifespans hehe :smile:

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Offlinemidway
Stranger

#3833542 - 02/25/05 05:19 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Youre likely to get bacterial contams if you try to inject nutrients like that. Best bet is to switch to whole grains, quarts or pints and case on your next attempt to get the most out of your time and space.

InvisibleStratus
Khan
Loc: south saturn delta
Re: A few ideas [Re: midway]
    #3833582 - 02/25/05 05:29 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

160 cakes wow!!! Now that took some work. I'm with midway if you using that many cakes then I would switch to grains or bulk.

OfflineIGnosticAbhorI
Stranger-er

#3833600 - 02/25/05 05:34 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hmm....Well you could use them for g2g's, careful for contams. though, probably would want to dunk them in a dildued soultion of h202 and water (3% or 13 ounces per gallon)....I think lol..someone want to correct me or back me up?

Well, after som many nutes are spent, you get only like a mushie or 2, or you just get some abhorts, but pretty soon you'll just be cultivating nothing and it'll eventually contam. Good luck. :thumbup:

-Gnostic

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

#3833616 - 02/25/05 05:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I would go to bulk but man, it sucks living up here in the AK.  First off it's hard to get dung, second, everything has to be done indoors and I'm living with my fiance who isn't a fan of poop.  I'm not real familiar with the whole grain thing, I've seen a few TEKs here and there but nothing was real descriptive... I don't wanna botch something and get no yield because I didn't know what I was doin :wink: Hrmdyhrmmm..

If I were to start inoc.ing quart jars would I want to just tough it out and give grains a try?  Or would the PF Method work in quarts?  Also... Would it be a good idea to go ahead and case them if quarts was a go?  I've seen some wicked cakes... but I'd be scared it would stop producing or something after the first flush, and I would have used this giant cake and it'd be wasted... :-X

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

Edited by Onetwothree (02/25/05 05:40 PM)

Offlinemidway
Stranger

#3833649 - 02/25/05 05:46 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Casing whole grains will improve your yeilds exponentially. The point of using grains is that youre getting more nutrient (and therefore more shrooms) for the space and time you invest in each jar...thats why you wouldnt want to use PF tek for quart jars. And a quart jar will colonize quickly because you can shake them.
Theres plenty of grain teks around here! I recommend millet..
Casing just flat out increases your yeild, and its not really hard at all.
work harder not smarter.

Plus, you might look into straw for spawn....

OfflineOnetwothree
This is MajorTom

Re: A few ideas [Re: midway]
    #3833883 - 02/25/05 06:51 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I just read through the "Martha Tek" and I'm really liking the looks of casing grains.  Apparently it yields around an Oz. per case... and with the space I have I could batch up a decent number of them.  I got just over a pound dry with the cakes... So I'm pretty excited to try casing a bunch of grain.  We'll see how it goes! :laugh:

I'm kinda scared to try doing a large bulk grow (ie a 10'x10' box), mainly because I'm living in an appartment, and if someone happens to 'walk through' -- I'd be screwed... no way to hide that.  :frown:

--------------------
Free Spore Ring Canada

OfflineVALIS
vast activelivingintelligencesystem
 User Gallery

Loc: neverwhere, az
    #3833982 - 02/25/05 07:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Onetwothree said:I'm kinda scared to try doing a large bulk grow (ie a 10'x10' box), mainly because I'm living in an appartment, and if someone happens to 'walk through' -- I'd be screwed... no way to hide that.  :frown:

Realistically, your only available option, were that to happen, would be to stall the intruder outside the door momentarily as you quickly ate all the evidence in large handfulls.

- Ding-dong - knock, knock, knock

"Uh..." Munch, munch "I'll - <gulp> - be right <munch> <gobble> there! ..., ... <gulp> <mmphh>"

- ding-dong! -

"<chomp> Hold <gulp> on <gobble> <gobble> ... <gulp> be there <gulp> in <gulp> <munch> ju-<mmph>-st a se<gulp>cond!"

After that it would be a simple matter of adamantly denying that the large 10x10 square of shit is in any way suspicious.

Trust me, this tactic totally works everytime.

--------------------
Nature is the Technology of the Divine.

Edited by VALIS (02/25/05 07:17 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation