Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTokagekobushi
Low RankingPsychonaut

Loc: Blitzed out of my skull
Mushrooms genetics (CHECK THIS OUT!)
    #3830541 - 02/25/05 12:09 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I know that manipulating genetics is kinda of a sketchy topic, not many know of its capabilities until its been done (I doubt anyone thought they could grow a human ear on a rat) but, considering that ability to change the chemical makeup of the DNA of the living things, and their ability to get other things to produce different chemicals(like rats producing human insulin in large quantities), does anything think its within the realm of reason that plants should be make to produce such wonderful chemicals as psilocybin or psilocin in their sap, or concentrated in their fruits? Dont get me wrong, I respect the shroom, and would think many times before trying to go around it, its just, growing mushrooms takes a while(shorter time than a tree mind you, but tree is a renewable source), and IMHO it might be easier to produce the chem if you got it from a giant tree and harvested its sap like maple syrup. Its free for debate, im aware that some are probably going to think this is a retarded idea, not worth it, but Im just trying to think off the beaten path I think. :mushroom2:

--------------------
"Mans unfailing capacity to beleive what he prefers to be true, rather than what evidence proves to be likely and possible, has always astounded me. We longe for a caring universe that will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary, we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest doubts. God hasnt been proven not to exist, therefore, he must exist!"

"Einstein would turn over in his grave! Not only does God play dice, but the dice are loaded."

"Some would ask, Why would a perfect god create a universe that if filled with so much evil. They have missed a greater conumdrum. Why would a perfect god create a universe at all?"

Edited by Tokagekobushi (02/25/05 12:42 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Rotation

Loc: That Way
Re: Mushrooms genetics [Re: Tokagekobushi]
    #3830579 - 02/25/05 12:15 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

one huge problem i would see with this is a mushroom is a fungus and a tree is a plant. the ear rat thing at least both are animals. im going with impossible with our knowledge.

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

OfflineTokagekobushi
Low RankingPsychonaut

Loc: Blitzed out of my skull
    #3830596 - 02/25/05 12:17 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well, its just the gene for producing such a chemical, not the whole thing. IM no geneticist by any stretch of the mind but, I think it might be possible, they are both living organisms. besides, its not like your trying to cross pollinate them or anything, your forcefully jacking into the genes and putting some extra info in

--------------------
"Mans unfailing capacity to beleive what he prefers to be true, rather than what evidence proves to be likely and possible, has always astounded me. We longe for a caring universe that will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary, we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest doubts. God hasnt been proven not to exist, therefore, he must exist!"

"Einstein would turn over in his grave! Not only does God play dice, but the dice are loaded."

"Some would ask, Why would a perfect god create a universe that if filled with so much evil. They have missed a greater conumdrum. Why would a perfect god create a universe at all?"

InvisibleLysergium
Shroom
Loc: Canada
Re: Mushrooms genetics *DELETED* [Re: Tokagekobushi]
    #3831365 - 02/25/05 03:12 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by Lysergium

Reason for deletion: ,,,

OfflineCPT_InSaNo
Just anotherfreak in thefreak kingdom

Re: Mushrooms genetics [Re: Lysergium]
    #3832048 - 02/25/05 09:57 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the resources required to conduct such an experiment probably are equal to the average shroomerites annual household income. unless you have access to a lab...

--------------------
"We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been. Spiral out. Keep going, going..."
Tool, Lateralus

Anything in my above post is 100% fictional.

R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Mushrooms genetics [Re: CPT_InSaNo]
    #3833369 - 02/25/05 04:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Its theoreticly possible. Jellyfish genes(bioluminesence) have been transfered to Fish. Invertabrate to vertabrate is a larger gap than fungus to plant. Besides its just a genetic marker that would trigger the production of the chemical. In the glowing Fish its the same thing. They put a marker in its DNA that makes it produce a bioluminesence chem. So, yes its possible.

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleninetynine
puke boy skeleton face
 User Gallery

Loc: no hands land, az
Re: Mushrooms genetics [Re: blaze2]
    #3833739 - 02/25/05 06:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

and then there is the spider goat. genetically altered so that it's milk would contain the substance that spiders make their webs with. they are using this to make super strong fibers for light weight body armor and such.

if psilocybin was the most deadly nerve agent known to man, our government would have crops of psilocybin plum trees. assuming they couldn't make it in a lab any easier. ...spider silk substance must be hard to synthesize.

--------------------

2,5-dimethoxy-4-astatophenethylamine

Offlinetheocean06
Yeah, I've donefour already...

Re: Mushrooms genetics [Re: ninetynine]
    #3834234 - 02/25/05 08:21 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

pound for pound (or in this case, gram for gram), it still isn't as strong as spider silk. I don't know what that has to do with this thread, just wanted to point that at.

--------------------

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.            - Hendrix :bow:

Invisiblephalloidin

#3835481 - 02/26/05 02:18 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

the thing about insulin is that it is a protein which is derived directly from the DNA. The gene for insulin can be inserted into the host and the host then produces insulin. Psilocybin is not a protein and therefore, is not directly coded for by the DNA. Instead, there is a whole biosynthetic pathway which produces psilocybin. This is much more complicated to reproduce in a host cell. I suppose it is still possible given all the necessary enzymes and precursors and whatnot, but it would probably be a lot easier to just stick with good old mushrooms.

InvisiblelIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Airfox

Loc: Texas
Re: Mushrooms genetics [Re: blaze2]
    #3838381 - 02/26/05 08:08 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

blaze2 said:
Invertabrate to vertabrate is a larger gap than fungus to plant.

I'm almost 100% sure that fungi are closer in evolution to animals than to plants. Also plants and fungi are in different kingdoms, while vert/invertebrates are in the same kingdom.

Edit: Indeed animals and fungi are both part of the supergroup Opisthokont, while plants are part of the different group of Plantae.

Edited by lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl (02/26/05 08:11 PM)

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Mushrooms genetics [Re: lIllIIIllIlIIlIlIIllIllIIl]
    #3838666 - 02/26/05 09:26 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Fungi are less advanced then plants though correct?

I mean plants, animals and fungi are on a single "line" meaning they have to follow each other in evolutionary advancement. If plants evolved seperately than fungi and animals they could very well be more advanced than fungi.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Mushrooms genetics [Re: cb9fl]
    #3838980 - 02/26/05 10:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Seeing as the line continues and animals are last with fungi next to them, that would mean plants are more advanced than animals also, correct? Which I wouldn't necessarily agree with, though advanced is a very relative word.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Mushrooms genetics [Re: Ravus]
    #3839183 - 02/26/05 11:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Oops meant aren't.

I didn't think plants and animals evolved on the same "line" thus fauna and flora.

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Offlinecybrbeast
Up, then down, then...
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: event horizon
Re: Mushrooms genetics (CHECK THIS OUT!) [Re: Tokagekobushi]
    #3840467 - 02/27/05 10:09 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Tokagekobushi said:
(I doubt anyone thought they could grow a human ear on a rat)

I'm getting sick of people using this image in reference to genetic engineering. They didn't grow an ear on a rat (it was a mouse btw). A template in the shape of a human ear was formed and then seeded with human cartilage cells. The template was then surgically implanted on the back of a mouse under its skin. The cartilage cells eventually grew into the structure resembling a child's ear.

OfflineMeThoD
MeThoD

Re: Mushrooms genetics (CHECK THIS OUT!) [Re: cybrbeast]
    #3841253 - 02/27/05 02:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hrmm, psylocybin sap. Nice.

--------------------
Every empty bowl must be filled, and a full bowl must always be emptied.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience