Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVALIS
vast activelivingintelligencesystem
 User Gallery

Loc: neverwhere, az
hydroponic casing?
    #3828896 - 02/24/05 08:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ok... being the stubborn ( and yet, patient ) bastard that I am - I figured I should try one last time to see whether any kind soul(s) could humor me with any input whatsoever on a subject I had previously posted in Mushroom Cultivation but no one responded to.

Seeing as "This forum is for the discussion of advanced techniques, experimental procedures and mushroom science.", I decided I'd try my luck here.

Thanks for any and all information - I'm just curious is all, wondering how stuff works.

Here is the original post, I guess you guys can decide which thread to respond under. I'll paste the original post in a new reply directly under this one.

Many thanks!

--------------------
Nature is the Technology of the Divine.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineVALIS
 User Gallery

Re: hydroponic casing? [Re: VALIS]
    #3828901 - 02/24/05 08:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Here's the original post:

Looking for advice, knowledge and input on the following.

Basic idea: to a standard casing tek, include the addition of using leca & water as the bottom-most layer.

Extended idea: standard issue pmp, minus the submerged air diffusers, air circulation occurs instead via pc fan(s), case the whole pmp - as if it were one large casing tray - directly ontop of the leca.

---

Potential primary effects:

Positive effect: maintains casing moisture indefinitely, idealy providing more flushes; antiquates manual misting/dunking between flushes

No effect: no notable difference

Negative effect: too moist / over saturated ... anything else?

---

Potential secondary effects:

mycelium grows into leca: a minor or major issue? - work arounds? ( e.g. use mesh and/or capillary mat? )

raises rH too high: work arounds? ( e.g. greater fae? )

---

What sort of effects would the introduction of a submerged air diffuser have? Aside from potential volcanic-like activity, would that introduce too much oxygen into the casing perhaps? Any possible/theoretical benefits?

Thanks!

--------------------

OfflineElemicin
3,4,5-trimethoxyallybenzene

#3832300 - 02/25/05 11:36 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

IMO its a waste of time. There is no reason to go high tech on something that is a very simple thing to do. For more mushrooms, case larger and case more. :smile: Dung is the key.

OfflineVALIS
 User Gallery

Re: hydroponic casing? [Re: Elemicin]
    #3832703 - 02/25/05 01:39 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I really appreciate your response - I was quickly becoming certain that there was a shroomery-wide conspiracy against me. Everybody hates me 'cuz I'm paranoid... I just know it.

(c8=

However, I'm still not convinced.

<grin>

I wonder if anyone said the hydrapod was too high-tech, and not worth pursuing further... Imagine, without the hydrapod, we likely would not have the PMP, which has proven to be a very successfull setup for many people.

Also, I don't see how simply throwing some geolite and water as the bottom-most layer of a casing is all that difficult. I'm thinking that doing so would allow the casing to regulate its own water supply, rather than being entirely dependant on the cultivator to manually provide proper moisture content.

We agree that dung is key. To go further, I believe that quality horse dung mixed with shredded straw is the hot ticket.

Here's what I'm up to:

my whole "mini-pmp" idea revolves around three major requirements: it must be fully automated; it must implement both a tek method and pmp design which will produce the greatest results possible in the smallest space possible; and the whole thing must be entirely self-contained, using one unit for all stages of cultivation ( preparation/inoculation and drying are currently exempt from this requirement, for obvious reasons ). There's a secondary, superflous "requirement" that it must look cool also... (c8=

The whole purpose is thusly:

To design an entirely self-contained, conviently stealthy, small form factor PMP, fully automated, in such a manner and with such a Tek as necessary to provide the greatest yield-to-space possible, including a simple method/process by which to keep the grow cycle constant and perpetual with little hassle.

Criteria #1: Full-Automation, is why I'm springboarding w/ the PMP design.

Criteria #2: Greatest results possible in the smallest space possible, is why I'm using bulk-substrate w/ casings, and why I'm so interested in keeping the casing as moist as possible - I want to see lots of flushes. ( And also why the tek will focus on pan. cyans - they're small, but potent - which accomodates the "mini-pmp" theme quite well. An oz of healthy(potent) pan cyans is worth 2 ozs of cubies, imho. And also why I want higher humidity output, 'cuz cyans are very sensitive to C02, so I'll be introducing a small fan to increase air-circulation and evaporation, which would reduce humidity if not properly compensated for.)

Criteria #3: Fully self-contained, is why the mini-pmp will act as both incubator and gc.

To sum up, what I'm trying to do is refine the PMP specificaly, and specially, for casings - and extending that even further to a particular tek process, coupled with a highly specialized/focused PMP design which I've already described above, along with the "hydroponified-casing" technique and the following idea that I've been speculating on:

If done properly, I imagine one could conceivably form a process in which the same casing(s) is(are) continually "refurbished"/renewed in such a manner whereby cultivation consists primarily of continued maintainance rather than the current common practice of "spending out" a casing, then discarding it, then starting from scratch w/ jars and/or spawnbags -- going through all that rigamarole to create another brand new casing.

This means dropping air exchange, increasing temperature, closing out light, and increasing humidity back to colonization levels, letting the myc _fully_ develop into the newly mixed-in substrate; after which you would reapply a new, fresh casing layer, wait a couple days, initiate pinning again, then throw the environment back into fruiting conditions; wait for two or three flushes, then repeat the process: substitute approximately half the "spent" casing w/ new substrate, mix it, moisturized to near-saturation... loop.

At least that's my theory... I'm certain people will nuke me if I'm talking out my ass here.

I must point out that I will not actualy be doing any of the growing - I'm just designing this for an acquaintance who lives in a country where growing mushrooms is legal.

--------------------

Offlinescatmanrav
Brainy Smurf

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #3832963 - 02/25/05 02:21 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I dont know if it will work. Tryings the only way to find out. I dont see it adding any benefit. I dont see how you can improve upon this though:

40 grams from a single quart of rye cased with coir/verm on top. No bottom layers. Nothing tricky done. Just a big closet with an ultrasonic and fan in it and optimal substrate moisture and conditions.

Mainly though, I wanted to add...this isnt hydroponics since the nutrients are all still within the substrate. If it were hydroponics there would be only mycelium growing through casing mix and water with nutes would be added to the non nutrient casing mix. I guess thats why you say hydroponic "casing" but still I dont think it can be called hydroponics if nutes arent comming from the water. Your just trying to come up with a creative way to water.

Since you mention hydroponics I guess you may know something about them? A wick system may also be done the same way but with peat/verm on the bottom with the wick going in instead of geolite and the airpump. Of course any sort of pourous ropelike stuff could become contamed but...

--------------------
"life is like a drop of rain getting closer and closer to falling into a lake, and then when you hit the lake there is no more rain drop, only the lake."

Growing with bags, start to finish (including my new grain and substrate prep)
Anyone looking to start bulk tubs/mono tubs/shotgun hybrids? Good tubs to use..
How I do grain (old still good tips)
Turn your closet into a fruiting chamber
Casing layer colonization and overlay

InvisibleHangnail
Teo Torriatte

Loc: Over at the Frankenstein ...
    #3835625 - 02/26/05 03:18 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

actually, people said the hydropod was a $150 bucket and a total rip off, especially after seeing the results were basically the same as with perlite.

Ryche Hawks buddy and several others made automated grows using air pumps. every size shape and description was thought of before the "revolutionary pmp". it's nice that someone has a simple tek everyone can start with and get uniform results, but it wasn't a breakthrough.

Stick with mini bulks. Soon you'll be up to your armpits in shooms

--------------------
tonight you'll fall asleep in clothes-so late like a candy bar wrapped up for lunch that's all you get to taste
poverty and spit
poverty and spit

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Air Pump, Air Stone, Coir, Hydroponics Supplies, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology