Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Ninja and Samurai
    #3828276 - 02/24/05 03:42 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

There is an interesting contrast between a ninja and a samurai.

Ninjas are sneaky motherfuckers with no honor. Experts in killing, they prey on the weak. They sneak up behind people and cut their throats. They murder people in their sleep. A ninja will pretend he's your friend right up until he slips the poison in your drink. Ninjas tend to be drunkards and opium addicts, living low lives and doing low work.

Samurais, on the other hand, are warriors of honor. They practice discipline and self-control, honing their willpower to a fine point. If a samurai has beef with you, he'll kick your door in and call you out on it. He'll give you a chance to fight fair, murder you in front of your whole family, and then ask if anyone else has a problem.

Which are you? Ninja or Samurai?

Which style do you think works better in life? Which style is more from an "I" point of view, and which style is from a "We" point of view? Please remember that what is good for the individual is not always good for the group.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: DoctorJ]
    #3828333 - 02/24/05 03:58 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

You, are, a Ninja, Samurai! :P He he...

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: Gomp]
    #3828425 - 02/24/05 04:22 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

naw, I've always been a Samurai myself, but I find myself besieged by the ninja.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3828522 - 02/24/05 04:48 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Samurai, Ninja!? :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3828579 - 02/24/05 05:03 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I refuse to be a figment of the imagination of Hollywood film makers, so I'll choose samurai any day.

Ninja link

If you mean the contrast between ronin and samurai, where ronin are masterless samurai who were considered to be treaturous, then I'd choose to be a ronin. I serve no master but myself.

If forced to choose between samurai and ninja though, I'd be a samurai. Both types would work if everyone in the group was the same type of character. A minority of samurai in a ninja society would die quickly, as would a ninja minority in a samurai society (if there weren't enough trees to hind behind).

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Edited by Alan Stone (02/25/05 06:34 AM)

OfflineWildRunner
Obey little,Resist much

Loc: Where the wild things are
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3829033 - 02/24/05 06:41 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

Ninja. No doubt about it. Also, they got honor, only thing though, is you'd never see it. Its called honor among thieves. Im by the very definition, a rogue.

--------------------
If you dont know where you're going, any road will take you there.

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
    #3907141 - 03/12/05 12:40 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

i think you should do more studies before making such an assumption

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: Cosm]
    #3907173 - 03/12/05 12:46 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

I'm 1/4 Japanese.... and yes... Samurais kick ass not only for their abilities, but more so for their conduct and loyalty.

Beyond that... what type of Ninja are you? take the Ninja test.

http://www.entertheninja.com/

The website will teach you how to be a full ninja!!

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

#3908715 - 03/12/05 06:28 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

Awh c'mon now, ninjas can have honor!!

Robin Hood was a ninja but he stole from the rich and gave to the poor...

Offlinesoulmotion
Professor
 User Gallery

Loc: Jumanji
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #3909026 - 03/12/05 08:04 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

If I had to choose between being a Ninja or a Samurai, I'd choose Ninja for sure! Why? Because I think that sometimes the 'honor' code of the Samurai is sort of futile, whereas the 'art of supprise' can be used for good and evil purposes. When I say their honor system is futile I mean, for example, they have to commit suicide if their honor is compromised, and that seems a little bit silly to me.

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #3909176 - 03/12/05 08:36 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

I was under the distinct impression that a Ninja is one who is highly trained in the martial arts of Ninjitsu.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Invisibleninjapixie
 User Gallery

Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #3909455 - 03/12/05 09:40 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

I'm a ninja.

--------------------
Put that monkey back in the oven.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: ninjapixie]
    #3909486 - 03/12/05 09:54 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

ninjapixie said:
I'm a ninja.

:shocked:

Quote:

soulmotion said:
If I had to choose between being a Ninja or a Samurai, I'd choose Ninja for sure! Why? Because I think that sometimes the 'honor' code of the Samurai is sort of futile, whereas the 'art of supprise' can be used for good and evil purposes. When I say their honor system is futile I mean, for example, they have to commit suicide if their honor is compromised, and that seems a little bit silly to me.

:lol: indeed it is... But I certainly think their is a deep sign of respect which is all but lost to most of us in way of giving your life for honor.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #3909512 - 03/12/05 09:59 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

Wrong. The Ninja adhered to a code of honor just as the Samurai did.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3909643 - 03/12/05 10:28 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

Ninja's are more inline with being mercenaries afaik... Samurais on the other hand, are bound to vassals (don't know if that is the actual one, forget my Japanese Aristocracy, might be mixing it up with European... but it is the equivalent).

nin?ja
n. pl. ninja or nin?jas

A member of a class of 14th-century Japanese mercenary agents who were trained in the martial arts and hired for covert operations such as assassination and sabotage.

sam?u?rai Audio pronunciation of "samurai" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sm-r)
n. pl. samurai or sam?u?rais

1. The Japanese feudal military aristocracy.
2. A professional warrior belonging to this class.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3909900 - 03/12/05 11:36 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

ninjitsu isnt a martial art, its just a discipline.

and "ninjas" were not opium addicts, I dont know where you got that shit from. Actually, Samurais in general, if we are talking tokugawa, were a bunch of whoring drunkards who just lived off the backs of farmers and partied until their class became extinct.

and then what did they do when the emperor was reinstated? they became yakuza, which are in general, a bunch of whoring drunkards, with really nice suits.

not to be derogatory towards whoring drunkards or anything, I myself am oft drunk and have recently began dating a woman who is technically employed in the sex industry.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: Doom]
    #3910131 - 03/13/05 12:48 AM (19 years, 20 days ago)

:lol: Doom.

Beyond that Yakuza are the cream of the crop. They make all of our US gangs look like shit. They possess a level of finese unseen by most of those associated with the Mafia.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3911055 - 03/13/05 11:05 AM (19 years, 20 days ago)

Samurai were also mercenaries. Ronin would bind themselves to a patron as long as it suited them.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#3912755 - 03/13/05 06:21 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

well, this wasnt really meant to be a debate about history... really its just the comparison of two archetypes which are opposed to eachother in some ways.

somebody mentioned that killing oneself over honor would be silly. I disagree. Its all about karma and faith. A Samurai wants to avoid bad karma to the extent that he is willing to sacrifice his physical body in order to do so. He has faith in life beyond life, and therefore the body is just a tool to him, and nothing more. Once the tool becomes corrupted, he discards it, and has faith that the universe will hook him up.

I'm definitely not a fa of mercenaries, but I do believe one should be willing to fight for the honor of those who are close to him.

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

#3912910 - 03/13/05 06:53 PM (19 years, 20 days ago)

If the archetype is incorrect then the concept involved is made irrelevant. So, history is very relevant.

--------------------

OfflineDoom
Rogue

Loc: ghost-train city
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #3915388 - 03/14/05 06:59 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

yes, you made up these "archetypes" and they have little basis in reality. Samurais and Karma? ehhh? where did you read that?

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
    #3916034 - 03/14/05 11:35 AM (19 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said: Ninjas are sneaky motherfuckers with no honor. Experts in killing, they prey on the weak. ... Ninjas tend to be drunkards and opium addicts, living low lives and doing low work.

Samurais, on the other hand, are warriors of honor. They practice discipline and self-control, honing their willpower to a fine point.

Which are you? Ninja or Samurai?

gee, that's a loaded question. "Which are you, a sneaky honourless motherfucker (and addict), or a disciplined warrior of honour?"

I refuse to answer on the grounds that the terms of the question are totally bogus.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3916238 - 03/14/05 12:19 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

OfflineBardonic
Peace Warrior
 User Gallery

Loc: Manchester, UK
    #3916776 - 03/14/05 03:00 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

To continue this thread's glossy skim over the subject of ninja et samurai, I add my own uninformed two cents: The samurai are an honourable group, granted, but I expect rather old fashioned, and undoubtedly a bunch of neophobes. Am I correct in thinking the ninja are assassins? If so they get my vote. Killing is always a bad thing, and a Human life is a stupid thing to waste, however sometimes it just has to be done to bring about the greater good (and all that). An assassin kills the smallest amount of most influential and pivotal people in order to bring about the greatest change. An example of this would be the murder of an EVIL despot which alleviates the suffering of a nation without the need to slaughter the poor brainwashed souls in his army in mass warfare.

Edited by Bardonic (03/14/05 03:02 PM)

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: Bardonic]
    #3916884 - 03/14/05 03:31 PM (19 years, 19 days ago)

An assassin kills the smallest amount of most influential and pivotal people in order to bring about the greatest change. An example of this would be ...

another example would be any time a ninja was paid big bucks by someone with a beef against someone else. remember, according to DoctorJ's bogus terms which we needs must use (because this is his thread after all), ninja are honourless and soulless, and don't care who they kill as long as they get enough cash to buy some opium

InvisibleCosm
Questioning
Loc: somewhere
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: Zekebomb]
    #3919963 - 03/15/05 07:03 AM (19 years, 18 days ago)

the ninja came into existence because they wanted to defend there way of life which was being threatened.they are highly spiritual people.

if you lived in isolation and didn't bother no one, practicing your spirituality and one day a horde of samurai come in and started killing everyone in the village your wife, children, parents.you would probably seek vengeance as well.

the ninja became ninja out of self defense.

OfflineBoglyn
Put them on theglass
 User Gallery

#3923374 - 03/15/05 09:57 PM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Ninja rule all the way.  Rouge power baby  :cool:

The Real Ultimate Power

Some ninja training for you foos   :grin:

--------------------
The sun, with all those planets revolving around it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.
---Galileo

Offlineschmektron
Vainglorious

Loc: Wrapped in an imbroglio
    #3923980 - 03/16/05 12:24 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

If you killed yourself even over something like (dis)honor, that would be the ultimate bad karma (if you believe in reincarnation)... it means that you are way too attached to something in your life and you aren't dealing with it... so you commit suicide. The whole notion of killing one's self over honor is just rooted within that specific culture and probably others, it doesn't mean that its right... it was just a way to keep people loyal to their masters, it doesn't follow any higher archetype.

PositiveCynicist
Male
Re: Ninja and Samurai [Re: schmektron]
    #3924174 - 03/16/05 01:24 AM (19 years, 17 days ago)

Tell a Ninja that... he'll say YES.

Tell a Samurai that... he'll kill you... then himnself.

Therein lies the difference.

--------------------
-Substance over Style.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom