Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsyhigh
Lost
Magnetism for health & optimization
    #3826829 - 02/24/05 12:14 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Hi there.
I love health, and I love science, and I love finding connections between the two. Recently I've been touching on the subject of magnetic healing/therapy and the effects of magnetism on the human body, and the human brain, (not to separate the two). I'd like to ask whether any of you lot have anything to share on the subject? I have read that the application of magnetic energy on parts of the body, maybe aching parts or on specific organs or acupuncture/shiatsu points can have benefit, that it also promotes oxygenation of the blood, cell regeneration, prevention/healing of cancer and so on. Yet from another source I have also read that it encourages the development of tumours, not their eradication... I am also confused about the difference between Magnetism, electromagnets, and the electromagnetic spectrum. I know that electromagnets cause a magnetic field due to the current of electricity, but what does the electromagnetic spectrum have to do with this? Radio waves, Gamma radiation and visible light are surely not the same force as magnetism, or are they? And I certainly know that electromagnetic (geopathic) pollution is a bad thing - eg the electromagnetism under electricity cables, computers, tv's, electric wiring etc - and of course Cell Masts and cell phones... But, I know that cell phones emit radiation that is very close to the microwave frequency - which is certainly in the electromagnetic spectrum... so now I'm really confused - how can the attraction and repulsion of magnetism be the same force as the very light you are seeing before your eyes?? And if they are the same force, how can magnetic healing beneficial - in what way do the magnetic forces of a magnet differ from those of an electrical wire or cell phone which I believe to be very detrimental? I've got myself really confused, and I hope I'm confusing you lot too! But please shine some light if you can!

So - assuming there is some fundamental difference between magnetism and Gamma Radiation!! the idea of magnetic therapy for promotion of health and optimization of cell function etc, looks quite an exciting thing to look into - other technologies that interest me in this way are bright light boxes (well - the effect of sunlight on our bodies!), negative ionizers, binaural sound technologies for hemi-spherical communication of the brain+Schumann Resonance(frequency of earths magnetic field/ideal frequency of brain activity?), water technologies (obviously filtration, but also energizing, alkalization, oxygenation etc) - and now magnetism. A natural, universal force, apparently used for millennia by other civilizations. Apart from apparent physical benefits, there has been some very interesting research using magnetism in neurological research and for psychotherapy - Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, or TMS, stimulating particular and localized areas of the brain using magnetism for an array of purposes and problems. TMS is NOT ECT - electro'shock' therapy - but may be used for the same purposes in a much safer/harmless way. Another potential use I find of particular interest is TMS?s ability to stimulate the more 'dormant' parts of the brain - the article below from the BBC shows how creativity can be greatly increased due to the application of magnetism to areas of the brain (prob involving the right hemisphere)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1932709.stm

another article of interest about TMS, from Erowid:
http://www.erowid.org/spirit/devices/devices_article1.shtml

mm. Interesting. Can anyone recommend some books on magnetic therapy/magnetic healing, firmly grounded in empirical scientific research? And if anyone can share some knowledge or raise more questions, please do!

Thanks
-Tim C

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLocus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ny/europe/other
Re: Magnetism for health & optimization [Re: Psyhigh]
    #3835905 - 02/26/05 07:50 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

very interesting... but seeing as those two articles were created back in 2002, what has happened since then!? Has it all just been disregarded or is it still developing?

--------------------

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity. ~ Albert Einstein
"Fear is the great barrier to human growth." ~ Dr. Robert Monroe

~~~*Dosis sola facit venenum*~~~

*Check my profile to listen to my music* :smile:

Offlinecb9fl
Senior ChildMolestationExpert
Loc: florida
Re: Magnetism for health & optimization [Re: Psyhigh]
    #3836105 - 02/26/05 10:29 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

snake oil

--------------------
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide

"Generosity is nothing else than a craze to possess. All which I abandon, all which I give, I enjoy in a higher manner through the fact that I give it away. To give is to enjoy possessively the object which one gives."

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Magnetism for health & optimization [Re: cb9fl]
    #3836200 - 02/26/05 11:20 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

electromagnetic radiation is made of photons, zipping through vacuum as 300,000 k/s...

magentism has to do with atomic crystal lattices & spin (iron & nickle are "ferrous" and do the magnetism thing, but more "exotic" magmetic mateials exist (how about the samarium-cobalt alloy in your headphones?)(& did you knnow that oxygen, when a solid (at the appropriate pressure & temperature, ok?) is a magnetic material? & that some crystals (& even stuff like ciggie light flints) can be magnetic or not, depending on their temperature - wierd, huh?)

"magnetic healing" never eally recovered from the (partial) charlatanism of franz anton mesmer (origin of the word "mesmerized")

the magnetic fields associated with hi-voltage AC power lines is rapidly oscillating (well, 60 cycles per second in north america, & 50 Hz most other places)

magnetic treatment of water, accupressure points, & brain areas (persinger helmet, etc?) still needs a lot of study... but it is quite possible that something is actually happening...

ymmv...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being