Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
 User Gallery
OUR Generation.
    #3824923 - 02/24/05 12:00 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

a

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

Edited by matt (08/31/07 08:03 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: OUR Generation. [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #3825726 - 02/24/05 02:12 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

too many of our generation is too busy playing video games and watching comedy central.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

#3825729 - 02/24/05 02:12 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Because MOST teenagers are too caught up in getting stoned/laid or drunk to realise how important voting is.

OfflineJCoke
dream observer
Male

Loc: maryland Flag
Re: OUR Generation. [Re: niteowl]
    #3825789 - 02/24/05 02:28 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

why the fuck did nadar get so little votes?

--------------------
hello, your name is life on earth
------------------------------------

"I traveled a long way seeking God, but when I finally gave up and turned back, there He was, within me! O Lalli! Now why do you wander like a beggar? Make some effort, and He will grant you a vision of Himself in the form of bliss in your heart." -the saint of the Kashmir Shaivism tradition: Lalli.

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Re: OUR Generation. [Re: JCoke]
    #3825816 - 02/24/05 02:33 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Cause the Democrats did EVERYTHING they could to keep him off the ticket. All he could have done was take votes away from Kerry and help GWB get in.

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
    #3826203 - 02/24/05 07:01 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I think generations aren't what they used to be. In the fifties, a whole generation could be assumed to generally think the same way, but we're too diversified to group together as one.
People don't limit themselves to one style of music or fashion anymore. The emphasis is on the uniqueness of the individual (or lack thereof). Who cares about the bigger picture when they're busy trying to improve their own status?

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: OUR Generation. [Re: Alan Stone]
    #3826209 - 02/24/05 07:06 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Whether you vote for the Puppet on the left, or the Puppet on the right, will it really make a whole lot of difference? But what exactly has this got to do with spirituality????

Isnt this a political topic?

--------------------

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: OUR Generation. [Re: Sinbad]
    #3826238 - 02/24/05 07:19 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

I know why. Because people are hard to motivate as a group. It takes alot of abuse of power(either all at once or sustained for a long time, thats what we have going on right now) for the people to act out as a group towards their oppressers. Im just waiting for it to begin. Ill state it again, right now is what the 50's were to the 60's. Conservative, war, vauge larger war on communism/terrorism, a witch hunt as a result that erodes basic freedoms for the larger good, a possible draft looming, lack of international support. This evironment is why the 60's were what they were. Without the 50's the 60's would never have happened like they did. In 10 years I can see a very large counterculture growing. Im not saying hippies will be back, tho maybe they will, but something will come out of it. So hang in there things may get a bit more interesting in a few years. Peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: OUR Generation. [Re: blaze2]
    #3826418 - 02/24/05 09:37 AM (11 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0913990051/104-9906637-9482319
(gaskin's book _this season's people_)

~OUR GENERATION

Our generation has sandals like Vietnamese.
Our generation wears long hair.
With our clobbered minds, we still wink an eye to say
Meet me, meet me at the bottom of the stairs.

Our generation whistles in the dark,
Has faith in faithlessness and in blue sky.
Our heroes now are either none, or ev'ryone.
Our saints also are only you and I.

Our generation won't remake this ravished world.
Our generation can only try
To wink an eye at ev'ryone, yes, ev'ryone.
Saying meet me at the beginning of the sky!

Words and music by Pete Seeger (1970)
(c) 1970, 1993 by Sanga Music Inc. All rights reserved.

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3826911 - 02/24/05 12:36 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Two reasons, two problems:
-the masses or not informed
-the masses don't try to inform themselves

And i agree with blaze2, for people to take stand in massive numbers, there needs to be a massive abuse of power. Right now, the abuse of power is still quite subtle and light, but i have a feeling that soon it will grow and it won't be ignored anymore.

--------------------

OfflineCaptainJailew
Apathetic and Idon't care

Loc: Central Texas
Re: OUR Generation. [Re: exclusive58]
    #3827019 - 02/24/05 01:00 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

There will never be another revoltion of any merit within America. It is simply too hard to convince people that the status quo is working to their detriment. All they see are the corporate advertisements pushing them to purchase and consume and forget about the serious real-life shit going down.

Even if there were to be a revolutionary movement within America I am pretty sure the government would crush whatever dissent there was. Like the black panthers, like MLK Jr, Malcom X, just like every possible scenario for a true, genuine and needed change there will be opposition from those who hold the reins.

Here is some information on the FBI's counter-revolutionary force, called COINTELLPRO.

http://www.icdc.com/~paulwolf/cointelpro/cointel.htm

--------------------
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#3827021 - 02/24/05 01:00 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

One important difference is that our generation is relatively and absolutely smaller than the 70s generation. Here's a chart of the age distribution in 1996:
http://www.fathersforlife.org/US_population_figures_80-96.htm#USpop96

Notice the large bulge around 40 years. Basically, there were more young people in 1970 than there are today, and fewer middle age and old people.

OfflineCaptainJailew

Re: OUR Generation. [Re: phi1618]
    #3827034 - 02/24/05 01:04 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

phi1618 said:
One important difference is that our generation is relatively and absolutely smaller than the 70s generation. Here's a chart of the age distribution in 1996:
http://www.fathersforlife.org/US_population_figures_80-96.htm#USpop96

Notice the large bulge around 40 years. Basically, there were more young people in 1970 than there are today, and fewer middle age and old people.

Baby boomers... Even so, it isn't a question of numbers, if people were motivated to actually effectuate some sort of change they would still rise to action and hope others joined them. It is simply a lack of motivation and plain old apathy.

--------------------
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: OUR Generation. [Re: CaptainJailew]
    #3827037 - 02/24/05 01:05 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Even if there were to be a revolutionary movement within America I am pretty sure the government would crush whatever dissent there was.

The State relies on the people. All the power that it has comes from the people. If the people want change, change will come. The government would have no other choice but to give in. If the government crushed the population, it would crush itself.

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #3827048 - 02/24/05 01:08 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Again, why is this thread in S&P when it is political in nature? anyone care to comment

--------------------

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

#3827058 - 02/24/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

why do you care?

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #3827060 - 02/24/05 01:11 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Regardless of most of the inherent insights as to their actions, they still have this country working... Most people are satisfied with something that works verses something that could possibly work better. American complacency if you will, i.e. if it works don't fix it. (I'm an American btw, so don't flame)

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #3827075 - 02/24/05 01:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Sinbad said:
Again, why is this thread in S&P when it is political in nature? anyone care to comment

It belongs in both, a lot of the reason why nobody actually questions Bush's motives, because he professes to be a messenger from god. (Note: not always the case, not suggesting it is even the case, but it does apply)

Furthermore, I think that it does have a lot to deal with philosophy, as far as why everybody can bitch and moan about an issue, yet nobody actually does anything regarding it. If you see a problem, and have a solution, then attempt to fix it... It has to deal with the philosophy of our beliefs which includes acting on them, and actively trying to change the problem that we see.. that or being complacent and yet bitching about the issue at hand.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

OfflineCaptainJailew

#3827102 - 02/24/05 01:22 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

exclusive58 said:

The State relies on the people. All the power that it has comes from the people. If the people want change, change will come. The government would have no other choice but to give in. If the government crushed the population, it would crush itself.

HARDLY. I can not belive you are seriously positing this as an argument, the government and those in power will NEVER give up this world which they control simply because there are some citizens who are discontent. History is replete with examples which prove my point, and I do not think there is a single example of a peaceful revolution which involved a total change in structure. People will not just change that is why there is a need for revolutions in the first place. Here is an excerpt from Lester Milbrath's book about transitioning societies

Quote:

Lester W. Milbrath, Professor Emeritus of Political Science and Sociology at SUNY-Buffalo, 1996, in Building Sustainable Societies, ed. Pirages, p. 292
Social Movements, New Political Parties, Networking. North Americans tend to believe that people organized into groups have an impact that individuals cannot achieve. Even though messages seeking support for such groups are literally thrust at people, the average person hardly ever recognizes their existence. Such messages are routinely marginalized, rebuffed, and subverted by the dominant media. In this ongoing contest the defenders of the dominant social paradigm hold nearly all the cards. Ideas that challenge the DSP have almost no chance of reaching the masses unless conditions are so bad that people everywhere are desperately tuning in to new messages that promise some kind of salvation. Most groups seeking societal transformation spend a great proportion of their effort just nourishing the membership; this may lend meaning to their lives but should not be confused with effective action to bring about social change.

I don't think the government will go quietly.

--------------------

Edited by CaptainJailew (02/24/05 01:27 PM)

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: OUR Generation. [Re: Psychoactive1984]
    #3827116 - 02/24/05 01:27 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Regardless of most of the inherent insights as to their actions, they (the government) still have this country working

What do you think is the foundation of a country? its people or its government?

the government would not be working without the people. remember what lincoln said? "a government, by the people, for the people..."

its the people that have this country working, and that's what the government wants to hide from you. the people are the real power and the real source of the economy.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology