Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblenewuser1492
Glove box vs. Flow hood vs. Pressure box
    #3824512 - 02/23/05 08:47 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

I'm looking to create a sterile environment for agar, spore prints, syringes .. etc.

The glove box looks to be about the cheapest and easiest to build but I don't see how it creates a sterile environment. You would have to open it up to put items in and then all the dirty air would be trapped inside. Would spraying lysol or oust work? I was figuring you could spray lysol or oust and let it sit for 10 minutes then start working. Would the fumes from the lysol or oust still kill spores or fungus?

If that doesn't work I was looking at a flow hood or pressure box. It seems that a pressure box would afford an environment more suitable to sterility than a flow hood.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolydiver
Stranger
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The midnight sea
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glove box vs. Flow hood vs. Pressure box [Re: newuser1492]
    #3824559 - 02/23/05 08:55 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

The idea of the basic glove box (basic=sans HEPA + fan) isn't to create a sterile environment, it simply gives you a draft free area to work in, preventing the bad guys from landing on your work surface via air current, breathing, etc.

You could put a can of Lysol in the work area with all your stuff, and spray everything down, then do your work from there--that would help alot. Waiting a few minutes for the lysol to work and letting everything settle down never hurts.

For me, the simple glove box always worked great. I've also done transfers/syringes/inoculations in clear trash bags, large ziplock bags...the idea is to prevent contams from landing on your work area.

--------------------
To find a place to live between the negatives and positives.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Glove box vs. Flow hood vs. Pressure box [Re: Holydiver]
    #3824775 - 02/23/05 09:30 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

A simple glove box will give you damn close to 95-100% results as long as your sterile culture technique is not flawed :wink: GL

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineVALIS
vast activelivingintelligencesystem
 User Gallery

Loc: neverwhere, az
Re: Glove box vs. Flow hood vs. Pressure box [Re: newuser1492]
    #3825101 - 02/23/05 10:25 PM (19 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
Nature is the Technology of the Divine.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale