Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
'Minutemen' to Patrol Arizona Border
    #3823133 - 02/23/05 06:01 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/02/21/national/a003822S83.DTL

'Minutemen' to Patrol Arizona Border
By LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer

Monday, February 21, 2005
(02-21) 10:14 PST WASHINGTON, (AP) --

Intent on securing the vulnerable Arizona border from illegal immigrant crossings, U.S. officials are bracing for what they call a potential new threat this spring: the Minutemen.

Nearly 500 volunteers have already joined the Minuteman Project, anointing themselves civilian border patrol agents determined to stop the immigration flow that routinely, and easily, seeps past federal authorities. They plan to patrol a 40-mile stretch of the southeast Arizona border throughout April when the tide of immigrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border peaks.

"I felt the only way to get something done was to do it yourself," said Jim Gilchrist, a retired accountant and decorated Vietnam War veteran who is helping recruit Minutemen across the country.

"We've been repeatedly accused of being people who are taking the law into our own hands," said Gilchrist, 56, of Aliso Viejo, Calif. "That is an outright bogus statement. We are going down there to assist law enforcement."

Officials concede the 370-mile Arizona border is the most porous stretch on the U.S.-Mexico line. Moreover, recent intelligence show that al-Qaida terrorists are likely to enter the country through the Mexico border, James Loy, the deputy secretary of the Homeland Security Department, said last week.

"Several al-Qaida leaders believe operatives can pay their way into the country through Mexico, and also believe illegal entry is more advantageous than legal entry for operational security reasons," Loy said in written testimony to the Senate Intelligence Committee.

Of the 1.1 million illegal immigrants caught by the U.S. Border Patrol last year, 51 percent crossed into the country at the Arizona border. The agency increased the number of agents in the Tucson sector, which has its largest staff, from 1,700 to 2,100 over the last 18 months.

But that number is going to grow to try to plug the remaining holes, said Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Robert C. Bonner. About 10,000 federal agents now patrol the 2,000-mile southern border, he said.

Officials fear the Minuteman patrols could cause more trouble than they prevent. At least some of the volunteers plan to arm themselves during the 24-hour desert patrols. Many are untrained and have little or no experience in confronting illegal border crossings.

"Any time there are firearms and you're out in the middle of no-man's land in difficult terrain, it's a dangerous setting," said Bonner, whose agency is keeping a close eye on the Minutemen plans.

"The Border Patrol does this every day, and they are qualified and very well-trained to handle the situation," he said. "Ordinary Americans are not. So there's a danger that not just illegal migrants might get hurt, but that American citizens might get hurt in this situation."

Civilian patrols are nothing new along the southern border, where crossing the international line is sometimes as easy as stepping over a few rusty strands of barbed wire. But they usually are limited to small, informal groups, leaving organizers to believe the Minuteman Project is the largest of its kind on the southern border.

It may also prove to be a magnet for what Glenn Spencer, president of the private American Border Patrol, described as camouflage-wearing, weapons-toting hard-liners who might get a little carried away with their assignments.

"How are they going to keep the nutcases out of there? They can't control that," said Spencer, whose 40-volunteer group, based in Hereford, Ariz., has used unmanned aerial vehicles and other high-tech equipment to track and report the number of border crossings for more than two years.

"There's a storm gathering here on the border, and there are conditions ripe for some difficulty," he said.

The border agents agree.

The Minutemen "clearly have every reason to be upset with the federal government for abandoning them," said National Border Patrol Council president T.J. Bonner, no relation to the commissioner.

But "if anything goes wrong, God forbid, someone does injure an agent, this government is going to be turning both barrels on them and come after them with a vengeance," he said.

Gilchrist said the Minutemen are under strict orders to merely identify and follow illegal border crossers and alert federal agents. They should not interact with the immigrants except to offer food, water or medical care. If there's a couple of "bad apples" who turn up in the group, Gilchrist said, they will face prosecution if they step outside the law.

Something dramatic needed to be done to curb the years of crime, property damage and trash dumping caused by the border crossings, Gilchrist said.

"Things are out of control" he said. "And they've been out of control for decades."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDieCommie
Re: 'Minutemen' to Patrol Arizona Border [Re: RandalFlagg]
    #3823348 - 02/23/05 06:41 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Minutemen  :thumbup:

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: 'Minutemen' to Patrol Arizona Border [Re: DieCommie]
    #3823605 - 02/23/05 07:38 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

I will fuck their spouses while they play cops and robbers. Then I will move to Mexico where I can fly with eagle nine.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #3824248 - 02/23/05 09:50 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

RandalFlagg said:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/02/21/national/a003822S83.DTL

Something dramatic needed to be done to curb the years of crime, property damage and trash dumping caused by the Mexicans, Gilchrist said. :whatever:

Interesting.  I live 2000 miles away and my city is plagued by the same problems!  I am wondering now, how those darn mecicans made it all the way over here...    :shake:

Edit: edited for accuracy

Edited by YidakiMan (02/23/05 09:51 PM)

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

Loc: Appearing at a mall near ...
Re: 'Minutemen' to Patrol Arizona Border [Re: YidakiMan]
    #3824618 - 02/23/05 11:04 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Have you ever been just south of the border? Northern Mexico is an open dump by U.S. standards - they don't give a shit about pollution and dump their garbage everywhere. In Rosarita there are fantastic pieces of property on cliffs overlooking the ocean that in California would be multi million dollar lots - there they are used for any and all refuse of the owners. In short, it's a pigsty. Where I've gone hiking along the San Gabriel and Santa Ana rivers, the illegals dump everything in the water: food wrappers, diapers, tampons, you name it.

--------------------
Money doesn't grow on trees, but deficits do grow under Bushes.

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: 'Minutemen' to Patrol Arizona Border [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3826763 - 02/24/05 12:00 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

My point was that you, nor Mr. (imnotaracist) Gilchrist, ever saw any illegal dumping waste. Instead you just assume it because a neighboring country is dirty, and that countrys' residents are emmigrating here.

I've got hiking ground here too that has trash. But I dont think any Mexicans were crossing the border between here and Illinois.

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
    #3826862 - 02/24/05 12:22 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

recent intelligence show that al-Qaida terrorists are likely to enter the country through the Mexico border

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

InvisibleCJay
Dark Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Riding a bassline
Re: 'Minutemen' to Patrol Arizona Border [Re: Prosgeopax]
    #3826918 - 02/24/05 12:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Northern Mexico is an open dump by U.S. standards - they don't give a shit about pollution and dump their garbage everywhere.

You should go to India....

Education has a lot to do with this.

Everything used to be biodegradable. Till really recently. For instance one year I was in India - the traditional clay chai cups were prolific, everyone throws them out the window on the train etc. It makes no odds. They wash away.

Next year the chai wallas are all coming around with plastic cups...the habit of throwing them out the window is still the same.

Why use plastic at all????

Someone wants the $$$$$ for the contract from the government.
Backshiesh

Trade agreements.....multinationals discovering a new market and focing the clam open to catch a glimpse of the pearl.

Sometimes I look and see something honest - at least they are happy in the mess we are making of the world right now. Nothing is hidden - it's all on the table to be seen. We in the West hide all our horrific waste away, brush it under the carpet so to speak....but it's there all the same.

That being said - managing waste seems preferable! Moving forward from managing the problem into better technology where waste is not an issue like this will be great.

first the poor and uneducated need a reason to care, an education in what Western technology is feeding them.....

Because right now they don't know, and they don't care.

Survivining today is all that matters

edit:
Having said that, how many dustbins do you see in India?

And here I am in the wealthy, supposedly educated West. I see people pull up in cars, a dustbin is maybe 1 metre from the stationary car door. The door opens and someone puts a bag of rubbish on the pavement, the door shuts and the car drives off.

People drive along throwing plastic out of the window as they go - I see this all the time.

I saw a guy the other day with a can of beer. He gulped down the last bit as he got to a bus stop. There was a bin within 1 metre of him - square in front of his eyes. The guy turns and throwsthe can in the nearest bush...

And as for the kids! Well there is a park oposite my house....during the school holidays it looks worse than the streets of Delhi! The disgusting little urchins seem to have no inclination to keep the place tidy. Great for the rest of us - absolutely ill mannered bunch too.

Luckily here where I live we have street sweepers and park rubbish collector people or the place would be unsalvagable. Buried beneath a mound of plastic and rotting organic matter.

This they don't have in India....not sure about Mexico. This is implemented by government.....India's government do not consider the rubbish problem big enough I suppose (yet).

(There's enough rubbish lingering about anyway around here still - people throw it all down the street and theres plenty on my path and in every direction. it is becoming virtually unmanagable in a proper sense.)

>>>>anyway back to the minutemen>>>>>

Edited by CJay (02/24/05 02:01 PM)

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

#3827446 - 02/24/05 03:07 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

YidakiMan said:
My point was that you, nor Mr. (imnotaracist) Gilchrist, ever saw any illegal dumping waste.

You are wrong. Go back to S&P and start a thread asking for advice on bettering your psychic powers, as they need work.

Quote:

Instead you just assume it because a neighboring country is dirty, and that countrys' residents are emmigrating here.

Sorry bub, experience and physical evidence are greater instructors than wishful PC thinking. Try again.

--------------------

You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way.
- Tom Willhite

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to change my opinions should I become aware of additional facts, the falsification of information or different perspectives. Articles written by others which I post may not necessarily reflect my opinions in part or in whole, my opinions may be in direct opposition, the topic may be one on which I have yet to formulate an opinion or have doubts about, an article may be posted solely with the intent to stimulate discussion or contemplation.

OfflineSaladin
Follower of theTruth

#3834570 - 02/25/05 09:35 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Bush is commiting genocide on hispanics who just want to make an honest living, and these minuteman are sent by him to kill any and all mexicans. Bush is Hitler period.

--------------------
Allahu Akbar

Free Hasan Akbar!

Viva La France!

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: 'Minutemen' to Patrol Arizona Border [Re: Saladin]
    #3834584 - 02/25/05 09:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

How did bush commit genocide? By offering them all citizenship?

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleDirtMcgirt
in a pinch
 User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
    #3834596 - 02/25/05 09:45 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Now we need some minutemen to watch the other minutemen...

These idiots have nothing better to do than chase around mexicans? All they will do is create their own form of mob justice and get in the way of the professional border patrol, making their job even harder.

I see no way this will help anything. This is just a way for some pissed off people to take there aggression out on mexican immigrants.

--------------------
"And we, inhabitants of the great coral of the Cosmos, believe the atom (which still we cannot see) to be full matter, whereas, it too, like everything else, is but an embroidery of voids in the Void, and we give the name of being, dense and even eternal, to that dance of inconsistencies, that infinite extension that is identified with absolute Nothingness and that spins from its own non-being the illusion of everything."

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #3834623 - 02/25/05 09:50 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Saladin said:
Bush is commiting genocide on hispanics who just want to make an honest living, and these minuteman are sent by him to kill any and all mexicans. Bush is Hitler period.

Exactly what did Bush have to do with this? How is this genocide? Do you think these people are just allowed to shoot on sight?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3834950 - 02/25/05 11:38 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

??? These are private citizens. Bush has nothing to do with what they are doing.

Bush actually kisses ass to the Hispanic community.

OfflineProsgeopax
Jaded, yethopeful?

#3835349 - 02/26/05 01:24 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

WTF are you blabbering about? Where is the genocide? Please explain your leap of illogic which blames Bush for a non-existent genocide. Why is a president who welcomes an illegal invasion and refuses to do anything about it compared to Hitler? What is honest about getting fake IDs? What is honest about coming up, having an 'anchor baby' and then getting government support for your children? What is honest about trespassing on people's property and stealing things? What is honest about going to hospital emergency rooms for routine care, giving false personal information and never paying for the services and medication you receive? Why doesn't the Mexican government and people get their shit together so people don't flee their country? Where is the outrage at Mexican society and government that create an environment where people feel compelled to leave?

--------------------

- Tom Willhite

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion