Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegentledeadhead08
Kynd Folk

Loc: United States of America
debate
    #3822945 - 02/23/05 05:25 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ok guys here my prob..
In one of my classes I have a debate tomorrow and the debate is over legalization of medical marijuana. The kids in my class are very conservative and don?t believe in it what so ever. So what I?m asking you guys is if you can help me with some good defenses and points for my debate tomorrow. I need some like-minded people for there input thanks a lot all

--------------------

I been thinking about the police Jelly filled for justice, please

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: debate [Re: gentledeadhead08]
    #3822985 - 02/23/05 05:33 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Google can help you a lot if you just type "legalize medical marijuana" and hit "search". You'll find more than enough information for your cause and will undoubtedly win your debate. I had the same topic back in highschool when we did debates. Everybody learned not to try and argue drugs with a pot loving guy like me.

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: debate [Re: DNKYD]
    #3823074 - 02/23/05 05:49 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

But to help you out just a scoch, here's a little piece I wrote for a similar assignment:

Quote:

Grass, bud, dank, herb, ganja, tree, reefer... either way you say it, it all means the same thing. Marijuana. Unfortunately this great plant has been prohibited by the Federal government eve since 1937. Dwelling on Americans racist nature, Harry Anslinger, head of the Federal Narcotics Division, fed propaganda to the public. Claiming marijuana was the cause for much of the country's violent crimes, a "dangerous sexual stimulant", and the cause of Mexicans' "marijuana induced violence against Americans", Anslinger succeeded in prohibiting the drug. This gave the Federal government an easy way to keep cheap Mexican labor from "stealing" scarce agricultural jobs from white Americans. But now the year is 2003 and over 80 million Americans admit to having tried marijuana. Despite the large amount in the country, marijuana users are continually victimized by Federal authorities. Every year 60,000 Americans are put behind bars for marijuana offenses, costing taxpayers $1.2 billion. Such a gross misuse of money seems like a silly idea to much of the American public, but not to the Federal government. In the great state of Michigan the penalty for the possession of any amount of marijuana is a misdemeanor sentence of one year in prison and a $2000 fine. With a marijuana conviction a person is denied federal financial student aid, stifling their ability to get help with education. Former President Jimmy Carter once said "penalties against drug use should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against the possession of marijuana in private for personal use."

The current laws in effect in states across the country have no deterrent impact on drug use behavior. Marijuana users convicted or arrested will continue to use it at the same rate prior to the conviction. Despite an often-argued point by the nation's Drug Czar John Walters, marijuana use does not, and will not, increase under decriminalization. Citizens living under a decriminalization laws use marijuana at rates less than areas where marijuana possession is a criminal offense. Conversely, state or ares with very strict criminal penalties for possession have the largest proportionate increase in use. The decriminalization of marijuana can help our country in many ways. Billions of taxpayer dollars can be better spent on education, social security, and homeland security. The State of California saved $1 billion from 1976 to 1985 by decriminalizing the personal possession of one ounce of marijuana. Law enforcement personnel used to pursue non-violent marijuana users can be used more productively preventing more violent crimes such as murder, rape, robbery, and assault. every year police arrest more Americans on small and non-violent marijuana charges than the total number arrested for murder, rape, robbery, and assault. Violent crimes associated with marijuana prohibition will be eliminated. Following the prohibition of alcohol in the early 1900's, gangs and crime rings involved in the trafficking of illegal alcohol sprung up every where. After prohibition ended these gangs and crime rings faded away, taking with them the violent crimes they were associated with. The strict prohibition of marijuana forces the most dangerous of criminals to take over trafficking, causing the link between marijuana selling and violence, gang turf wars, and terrorism. There is much more evidence showing that the War on Drugs should be stopped. Responsible users should be given their rights back. Remember, stop the war on Drugs, because war should never be domestic policy.

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

#3824352 - 02/23/05 10:16 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Ask them why they feel it's the government job to regulate what substances people take in to their bodies (substitute "people" with "adults in the privacy of their own homes"). If they think that the gov't should prevent people from taking dangerous substances, ask them why nicotine and alcohol aren't illegal.

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #3824481 - 02/23/05 10:42 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Here are some things to bring up:

1. There are legal things that everybody has access to that are harmful. Anybody of any age is allowed to eat fatty foods. Fatty foods are sold openly everywhere. Hundreds of thousands of people die every year from heart disease that was caused by poor diet.

2. There are some regulated things that kill many people every year. Some of these things are alcohol, tobacco, and automobiles. Automobiles kill tens of thousands of people every year. Should we make automobiles illegal?

3. Ask them why they think marijuana should illegal. Do they have any scientific evidence to back up their assertions that marijuana is harmful? Or are their dislikes of marijuana purely for moral reasons or their personal opinions?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion