Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
A little help, please?
    #3822248 - 02/23/05 02:56 PM (11 years, 7 months ago)

Ok, this is just a preliminary inquiry to see if anybody wants to help me out with this. First a little background -

Two friends of mine (Peter and Henrieke) have been working for the past 6 or so months at an orphanage/school in Phnom Penh Cambodia. They've been working with this school that has newly formed - basically, there are very many street children in Cambodia that live off of the garbage dumps. For example, like this
(my friend Henrieke shortly after arrival in Cambodia) (one of the dumps that most of the children come from)

So, anyhow, this school has been established to help try to create some better future for some of these orphans. My two friends that are there now are working with many different things - from logistics to teaching the children to trying to establish a link between this school and other international schools - to try to make it benefit the kids now and in the future as much as possible. I was talking to Peter about a week ago, and he mentioned to me that they were planning on opening another school/orphanage in the near future, but they are of course lacking in funds. So he was explaining to me how he had started doing some fundraising in Falun, Sweden (where he is from), but that he obviously wasn't able to do much because he was in Cambodia. I've taken the initiative to try to plan something here in ?rhus, Denmark to raise some money for this cause. The great thing, in my opinion, is that the money isn't going to a large, beaurocratic organization that'll end up sifting off the top 2/3rds, but it'll be going directly to the people who are running the school and thus almost directly to the children in need. So my plan here was to find a cafe that I can rent for cheap or some other venue like this, find a band or two (already have got one definite yes, waiting on another) who will play for free, find some people to bake cakes,etc, try to work out something with the bar in the cafe so the proceeds all go to fundraising, etc - anyway, I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this idea...

But my question for the Pub is does anybody have any free time and feels like helping setting up a similar event in wherever the hell it is you're from? I know that this orphanage, my friends who are there, myself, and all the Cambodian children who won't have to live atop a pile of trash would all greatly appreciate your help. Please let me know, if you are interested in trying to organize a something like this in the upcoming months. I've got a bunch of "official" information on the way from the orphanage, so if somebody decides to help out, I can get all of this to you to help secure permits, etc.

Anyway, think about how many hours you sit on your ass, idly smoking joints and drinking coffee. Just take 1 month out of your life, and it'll seriously help a lot of people.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> The Pub